Default 602 crate oil pump noise ????

Brand new 602 crate, bought it new myself so Its never been fired up. Got it installed today, fluids in, everything hooked up. Dropped the oil primmer in and as soon as I started to spin the oil pump I could hear/feel this clicking/grinding noise. Pulled the primmer out and slowly turned the oil pump driveshaft with the long straight screwdriver. It only has BR-30 in it and the pump turns hard and you can hear and feel the pump making noise. Plus as soon as you stop turning it trys to reverse and turn back the other way on its own. Ran the pump slow with the primmer and with your hand on the bottom of the ol pan you can feel the grind/click.

This has to be raced as a 100% sealed motor so I can not pull the pan off it. Everything looks fine when looking down the dist shaft hole.

Thoughts? Ideas? Ever seen this problem? Thanke Eric

Great rule you have there. You have three choices. have your tech man come over and listen to the problem,he should be able to pull the pan. Second, take the whole car to the G.M. dealer you bought it from & show them the problem. even though there is no warrante on the engine if they say they wont replace the engine then the problem is on them. get it in writing.Call Bill Martins at G.M., he should be able to force the dealer to replace the engine. Do not start the engine under any circumstance. Bill
    Hendren Racing Engines
    1310 U.S. Hwy 221 North
    Rutherfordton North Carolina 28139
    828-286-0780
    www.hendrensracingengines.com

I think hes getting a different motor from the dealer no problem or hassles.... other than removing and repacing the motor on his time and dime!!

jj

Curiosity has gotten the best of me. Do you guys have any speculation as to what the problem could be? Loose oil pump bolt? Broken pump casting? Pickup issue--is the pickup simply pressed in at the factory?

Eric, certainly hope they work with you to get this corrected! Please post when you find out the issue.

Bought the motor from Karl Chev in Ankeny Ia. They took care of it without any hassle. They called GM and they told them to just exchange it for a new one. They even gave me another 8qts of Joe Gibbs BR-30.

It sucked wasting all that time pulling the motor, swapping it for another and getting it all back in the car. Fired it up last wed and this one is fine. These motors run so smoooth. lol

No idea what happened to the last one but from the lack of replies to this post I'm guessing it doesnt happen often. Eric