Default 1/2 mile at Davenport ever again?

Will we ever see a decent race again at Davenport on the 1/2 mile?

September 9th All Star Classic IMCA Late Models... I know it isn't a big open motor race but it's still a late model show on the 1/2 mile.

www.drttrak.com
    Race Updates on Twitter- @ChristianDundee

Gonna take a promoter with some big kaunas to bring a traveling tour show back at Davenport half. With the high costs associated with renting the facility and other costs, no one seems be interested to take on that burden. Too bad, always been my favorite place to watch racing over the span of nearly 50 years. I'll just take my entertainment dollars to Burlington (Lucas tour) Indepenance (WoO) LaSalle (Illini100) and countless UMP summer national races..........Jim Wilson, we miss the WDRL.

At least the people in charge of the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds returned my message.....

When the sanction fees get to where a promoter can break even or make a buck, maybe you'll see a big race. At this point, that's why so many promoters are out of business, can't make it having to give a 50,000 dollar fee to the
    WOO organization .

Robert A. Fox, CFE, General Manager
    Mississippi Valley Fair, Inc.
    Davenport, IA
    563-326-5338
    www.mvfair.com

Fair board Guy is right on the fees.
    But there are other factors. Fees to rent the track by a outside promoter willing to put up the money? 10,000 1 night--20,000 2 day show.
    A show at DAV. should bring in 25 --30+ cars from IOWA. Are there that many open motors in Iowa? Some from IL. a few others from Wisc. Neb. MO. Car count may not be high enough for a promoter to make money.

The fans should fill the stands. Probably would not happen.

If you watch the WoO car counts this year you will see drivers names you never heard of entering for a chance to race with the big boys. Some shows may not have large counts because that area may not have a lot of open motor racing.

Check the tracks that have the WoO for a return engagement and check car counts and some of the prices these guys charge.

Iowa has once again turned it's back on open racing. That is OK . Ya gotta do what you gotta do.

Now let me make something clear, I am not blasting Iowa racers, promoters, the fair board or anyone else. It is my opinion why it is so difficult for a promoter to take a chance on a big show, be he independent or a fair board promoter.

I should add that 10,000 ---20,000 UMP show without the high fees would be the best bet. But would that draw enough fans?? Car count would probably be good enough.???
    Last edited by p-towne; 02-04-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Lightbulb We have a winner!

Ptown is correct. Mr. fairboard manager seems to blame the sanctioning fees, of the series that are out there,( for lack of races ) yet seems to forget to include his extreme fees which includes his take of all concession sales and track rental costs $$$. Davenport has had some very good promoters over the years who did not come back, thanks to Mr. fairboard manager.

Last edited by yardman; 02-06-2011 at 10:32 PM.
    Hey Gary! Heard any rumors?