Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fouling Plugs

Towed 1000 miles thru a lot of this and tornadic weather... From Iowa to Alabama.

Ended the trip like this! My car started when I got there!! New rockers, push rods, plugs and stud girdles.

Nice job. How was the car count? Decent weather?

Quote Originally Posted by 50j View Post
    Nice job. How was the car count? Decent weather?
    Great weather there, missed 3 tornadoes by minutes on the way there and snow all the way accross Missouri!

Car count was low in street and mods. rest had 23-60, mostly late models by some variation...

Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but I think its a good practice to start a race motor before you load up. I do it to help get the oil temp up some, i don't live but a few miles from the track, so it helps get it warm so when i get out for hot laps im not on lukewarm oil.

Also, I've had trouble with sabotage the past year....intake bolts completely loosened...drain plugs loosened, hose clamps suddenly not tight...so i start sally up and let it sit at 200-2500 for 10 minutes to triple check for anything that could be wrong...just a habit i guess, but to each his own!

Default really?

you towed that far for a $1000 to win show? shame to say but i think after all said and done you either lost money or barely made a dime. Wins are priceless yes, but a racecar is business still to a degree and this just dont make good business sense! Not to mention all the signature of your buisness and i dont see a single spot of it's name on your car.

if your willing to drive that far why not bring that hotrod to eldora once for a chance to race at the big E? Always cool to see local hot shoes come i to tame what is considered by some as the "mecca"of dirt tracks. maybe i will be lucky enough to get to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    you towed that far for a $1000 to win show? shame to say but i think after all said and done you either lost money or barely made a dime. Wins are priceless yes, but a racecar is business still to a degree and this just dont make good business sense! Not to mention all the signature of your buisness and i dont see a single spot of it's name on your car.

if your willing to drive that far why not bring that hotrod to eldora once for a chance to race at the big E? Always cool to see local hot shoes come i to tame what is considered by some as the "mecca"of dirt tracks. maybe i will be lucky enough to get to see it.
    It was 14 degrees at my house while I was in Alabama and it was near 70!! Enough SAID!!!

Eldora doesnt run cars close to my street stock as far as I know. If they have a special event feel free to email or pm info to me, thats how I found out about this race from a person on here.

I towed further than this for $500 to win. It was $75 to start the A, honestly thats all I could really hope to get back, anything above that is a bonus.

I spent 1450. 650fuel, 120steak and lobster dinner,100walmart drinks meat for barbque etc,200nice hotel,100tshirts for those with me,300pit pass and entry, I raced on old tires I would have gave away or sold for 20 a piece.

I learned a lot and my buddy who also raced learned a years worth of information and driving tips. I let him win friday and followed him around so he got my advice and saw himself on my in car. I knew he had a brake issue from following him because his entrys were so inconsistent. Turned out he never put the rear caliper spacers in so he had bad brakes all last year. His car is way faster than before and he followed me Saturday and tried to be as smooth etc.

This track was very different 3 turns pretty much so I feel I found a quick way around it that I didnt see anyone else use all weekend. Maybe my car turned in the middle better than the others but I knocked half a second off my time with my line and my car took it on its own pretty much like a hound dog on a trail.

My business is on my car, but very small, I like a clean BARE car.

Quote Originally Posted by Living_Truth View Post
    Why are you wasting your time in street stocks? Why do you invest what you do simply to run the lowest class at many tracks?

I'm serious: 1000 mile drives, motors that cost you $5000 or more, dyno time...sheesh! It's way overkill, and thus no wonder you win what you do. Wins are great, but some of us like a challenge. Hell, no doubt I could sell my LM and do exactly what you are doing. Half the stocks at local tracks can't even finish the races on a regular night!

Don't you like a challenge? You'd rather coast to 100 easy wins instead of trying to earn a handful of hard victories? It reminds me of those old washed up LM drivers that move down to sportsman and dominate. This might be the reason your attitude here turns so many people off. Street Stocks FFS!

lol, Ive got a grand that says you cant sell your late model and come to Iowa and top 4 period probably even at a weekly show. The IMCA and USRA stock car class I race in here in Iowa is the class with the toughest competition and closest races period.

Might be a bunch of junkers where you live but we have 4 other classes below mine here!

Why would I want a late model, any moron can race those, twice as much tire as a street stock or mod, race suspension where the challenge in that? Heck you buy them from people get set up from them and need nothing more than a k mart took kit and your wifes help to assemble them... Not to mention around me late models barely exhist.

Street stocks are still a class where a guy like me can build his own stuff and separate himself from the masses if he figures some stuff out others havent yet.

10 cars showed, 4th place finisher from middle GA was a rookie with about 5 races experience. it wasnt really much to brag about.

Quote Originally Posted by carowner73 View Post
    10 cars showed, 4th place finisher from middle GA was a rookie with about 5 races experience. it wasnt really much to brag about.
    I thought only 8 raced the whole time. And only 4-5 finished.

ah .. the big money debate got to love it..

if your looking to make money in stock car racing your in the wrong line of work.
    as richard petty said " to make a million in racing start with 2 and no when to quit".

5000 for a race engins not alot comparied to the price the lm guy put into to theres.

they say your nuts going that far for a 1000 to win show yet alot of the lm guys have gone further for the same amount. hmmm 1000 to win show for a street stock driver sound like a good pay day to me.

unless your a big time racer with big backing in sponsors and can race every night of the week how on earth can you run a local team as a bussnes thats what i dont get ... to me and im sure to many others this is a hobbie and a way of life we still get up every mornning and head off to work . spend our money on bills food and what we can on a stock car.

could be worse could spend all that money on drugs , boose, stamps , coins. only makes sense to spend it on a fun hoobie.

i like the way you put it JnJ how most lm and mods are just kit cars anymore.

they dont go out find a 30 year old car and make it new again they just buy them from someone new.

how manyof them make there own parts ? like me i made my own lowers from my car its no difrent than the 200 doller lowers they buy guess what i got about 30 bucks and some time in mine haha whos getting riped off

im glad you took the time to go that far and run and had a good outcome makes it even sweeter.
    62 mini mod

Not really sure, wasnt there, going by their posted results. It just goes to show that not every big race is a quality win. You cant control who shows up and who doesnt, but its hard to know if the wins justify the bragging rights that some people claim. Where we race and where you race is completely different, not all people understand that. IMCA no real motor rules except the claim versus relative tight motor rules with a teardown following most big wins. Its two completely different worlds, people on here try to compare the two, but its apples to oranges. Just like the big motor setups these people brag about, you take away the big motor it changes everything.

Quote Originally Posted by steveshawjr View Post
    ah .. the big money debate got to love it..

if your looking to make money in stock car racing your in the wrong line of work.
    as richard petty said " to make a million in racing start with 2 and no when to quit".

5000 for a race engins not alot comparied to the price the lm guy put into to theres.

they say your nuts going that far for a 1000 to win show yet alot of the lm guys have gone further for the same amount. hmmm 1000 to win show for a street stock driver sound like a good pay day to me.

unless your a big time racer with big backing in sponsors and can race every night of the week how on earth can you run a local team as a bussnes thats what i dont get ... to me and im sure to many others this is a hobbie and a way of life we still get up every mornning and head off to work . spend our money on bills food and what we can on a stock car.

could be worse could spend all that money on drugs , boose, stamps , coins. only makes sense to spend it on a fun hoobie.

i like the way you put it JnJ how most lm and mods are just kit cars anymore.

they dont go out find a 30 year old car and make it new again they just buy them from someone new.

how manyof them make there own parts ? like me i made my own lowers from my car its no difrent than the 200 doller lowers they buy guess what i got about 30 bucks and some time in mine haha whos getting riped off

im glad you took the time to go that far and run and had a good outcome makes it even sweeter.
    That's how I see it too. He got a road trip in, had a nice vacation, got to race, won some money and had fun. Mission accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by carowner73 View Post
    Not really sure, wasnt there, going by their posted results. It just goes to show that not every big race is a quality win. You cant control who shows up and who doesnt, but its hard to know if the wins justify the bragging rights that some people claim. Where we race and where you race is completely different, not all people understand that. IMCA no real motor rules except the claim versus relative tight motor rules with a teardown following most big wins. Its two completely different worlds, people on here try to compare the two, but its apples to oranges. Just like the big motor setups these people brag about, you take away the big motor it changes everything.
    Your right, where I live there could only be 7 cars but all 7 total last year won 130-140 features at different tracks.

Talladega race down there I won had 23 cars, its only 45 minutes from this track and only 3 of us from Talladega were there? Go figure. BUT the best two cars they have in the area were there in the 8.

There was also a camaro on 10 inch wide dirt bozz tires, for a 8 in tire rule, I thought he might have been the one to beat all weekend but it wasnt so. My buddy who went with me and myself were a half lap ahead all weekend. Despite being penalized a 100 after being penalized 100 with 50 by the motor after I went out and hot laps for FUN and passed all the cars there in 2 laps with ease...

I was told the cars from the other track dont travel to this one because of the speed and wall near turn 1 that ate late models all weekend.

Only 6 mods at this show also for 1000 to win!!

Jeff, You had a great run and congratulations. You may have driven half way across the country to get there but, you showed up and the car looked great all weekend. I seen alot of crates and sportsmans get destroyed trying to get into the feature and I am sure the heat race didn't pay a dime to win. Don't let anyone discourage you Jeff...If I could travel way off from home and win first time there I would travel more myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mqdirtracer57 View Post
    Jeff, You had a great run and congratulations. You may have driven half way across the country to get there but, you showed up and the car looked great all weekend. I seen alot of crates and sportsmans get destroyed trying to get into the feature and I am sure the heat race didn't pay a dime to win. Don't let anyone discourage you Jeff...If I could travel way off from home and win first time there I would travel more myself.

Yeah thanks, it was a great time, lots of nice people said hi and came by our pits both days. I let my buddy win friday so he could see on my in car camera how much hes all over the track in the corners etc. We worked on his car all day sat to fix it up and it seemed a lot smoother. I put my camera out the back saturday!!

I saw a lot of super lates, crates, sportsman etc get EATEN by the turn 1 wall!! I would see a guy go in there hard and think man hes got it figured out and next time he jumped the cushion a little and rode the wall all the way off the track... yikes..

Really, that's what you guys think? Because to me, a late model can be whatever you want them to be. What are your suspension options for a Street Stock? Front: Factory, maybe lengthen a-arms. Rear: factory. Probably GM style 4-bar. With some "tricks" I'm sure

Late Models:
    Front: INFINITE number of combos and upper/lower designs. No restrictions other than track width.

Rear: 4-bar, z-link, swing arm, truck arm, 3-link, leaf spring, partial leaf spring, pull bar, torque arm, j-bar, straight bar, shock/spring placements, multiple shocks/springs per corner...etc

Like I said earlier, If you want to prove yourself, you do it against the best! Not the rest!

How did you do at the BAMA BASH was 10k for late models not enough?

Really, that's what you guys think? Because to me, a late model can be whatever you want them to be. What are your suspension options for a Street Stock? Front: Factory, maybe lengthen a-arms. Rear: factory. Probably GM style 4-bar. With some "tricks" I'm sure

Late Models:
    Front: INFINITE number of combos and upper/lower designs. No restrictions other than track width.

Rear: 4-bar, z-link, swing arm, truck arm, 3-link, leaf spring, partial leaf spring, pull bar, torque arm, j-bar, straight bar, shock/spring placements, multiple shocks/springs per corner...etc

Like I said earlier, If you want to prove yourself, you do it against the best! Not the rest!

ive got a super street car an now a late model im puttin together an must say theres lot more pride an joy in building a super street car!! this late model is like he said,..a kit car,..order an buy instaed or design an manufacture your self!! but to each there own i suppose...

I hope I don't DQed for cutting the back half off our l/m and building it like I wanted or cutting it down to the frame and redoing the front suspension.I've built a bunch camaros and enjoyed every minute of it but its a different world in l/m.The real question is do you have enough confidence in your self to withstand getting your teeth kicked in every week till you get the hang of a l/m.

If anyone out there is running a late model straight from the manufacturer.....they are probably running in last place. I don't know of anyone who hasn't modified a late model to fit their needs. More engineering in a late model than a street stock.....especially because you are allowed to do alot more than you can with a street stock.

Not too mention you can miss the setup in a street stock and do well or even win.....if you miss the setup in a late model....you are either a half lap down and losing 2 seconds a lap....or your in the fence.

The biggest thing I liked about late models....if I tore up a quarter or a door skin....all I had to do was get a sheet of aluminum and make a new one. If I broke a lower control arm....I just went to the parts trailer and bought a new one. I didn't have to have a spare car or 3 at home behind the garage.

Jets just face it Jeff is an a$$hole that thinks his schlit is better than anyone else's. I dont know how he manages to run a business if he conducts himself in person like he does on here. I have yet to find one of his posts that has anything helpful to say. As near as I can figure he is a troll.

Sorry to the original poster for posting in your thread.
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!