Default 88.0 tires on front

what differance would it make to run 88.0 tires on the front of a racecar

havent tried it and wont heres my theory/reasons why:

smaller tire would run hotter temps and give up quicker
    smaller tire would tilt the front down slightly increasing front percentage unless you jacked the ride height up to compensate
    would require a different setup on shocks and springs that im not willing to go chasing at this stage in the game.
    also that smaller tire would have a different effective spring rate that i would be out in left field on the setup with no help in r&d to get it right unless i convince a couple other people to try it and see what consistently works.

Smaller tires are stiffer and give better feedback than a taller tire.

Going from a 92 to an 88 can make enough of a difference in frame height above ground to matter on cars where you are close to dragging.

The change in front/rear percent is basically zero. Adjusting ride height does not effect front/rear and left/right percentages.

I always liked to run 90s on the front.

the track i run at is having a practice they just changed the tire rule and the only tires i have that are within the rules are 88.0 i have 6 of them and 1 29.0 did not want to buy three new tires to destroy during a practice thanks for the replys keep them coming if u have any other opinions thanks again

My random ideas...

It would change the braking characteristics of the car, but that could be easily fixed with a spin of the dial.
    I can see how they could heat up faster and possibly run hotter, but if it's a short race, this might not be all bad.
    Less rotating weight (doubtfully anything you'd feel a difference in though).

If it's practice, why not give them a shot? Sure they might throw the setup off a bit from what you've gotten used to in the past, but... it might throw it off in a positive direction too.

If you've got the time, throw the car on scales with the normal tires, then swap out the front tires and see what the difference is.

Yeah I agree. If it's just practice why not give it a shot. Is there a better time to test something new?

And I totally understand about buying tires just for practice. I refuse to run my good tires during packing laps. I can't take the chance of cutting a tire, slopping around in the mud.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

Pretty sure I've seen LR's across the front of those team zero cars at 100lap events. Not sure about 88 90?? Anybody else have thoughts or seen this before?

put car on scales with 88.0 tires on scales saw only slight differance probally from stagger and actual weight from tires 2 to 3 pounds differant per tire. only concern i see is possably a ground clearance issue thanks for the help to all who posted did not think about the 12" wheels. does anybody know how much differance in tire measurement a 12" wheel is over a 14 with the same tire i think a 4" offset 12" wheel would put the center of the tire in the same spot so it shouldnt affect anything else except tire diameter
    Last edited by rick james; 02-20-2011 at 02:32 PM.

Shorter fronts should make the steering more responsive.
    Back when the tracks around here were "black oil" and a lot faster,(174 mph @ GIS) about everyone ran small skins on the front to get the nose lower and help the car turn in better.
    I have seen some big named drivers do it at Golden Isles after they clayed it, but before it was shortened. They also said it helped the car turn in better.
    Only thing I would be worried about would be dragging the right frame rail.
    Gill T. Azell