Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 825 HP SBC 23 degree heads 400 ci.

Is it possible to get this kind of power from this combo, cnc'd heads etc. Honestly! And not inflated on a happy dyno. This is a dirt mod engine.

Nitrous oxide. Just kidding

I have heard alot of windy people say they have. But they lie. You will be lucky to get low to mid 600's, on a accurate dyno. You can get that kind of power with 15 or 18 degree heads. But with 23 degress you will need NOS.

There will not be too many with 18 degree if any at all get that either. Ittakes somevalve angles to get that kind of power.

know a very very experienced builder who just built a 401 with most of the best parts in it, 23 degree rhs heads, crower crank, dart block etc, did 675 hp and 605 tq on the dyno. not sure how you get much more than that without investing 40k or running 9 degree heads. pm if you would like to know who built it. torque band on that motor is crazy.

that kinda power would be stupid overkill in a modified anyways

We ran an all steel 406 engine that put out 645 hp with 230cc dart iron eagles. Probably could have got more if the heads were CNC'd and not had a standard weight assembly....but wouldn't be anywhere close to 825. Even when they ran 18* heads in cup on a 358....they were still only getting 735-750hp. Might get close with the SB2 stuff.

The reason I asked is that a guy just picked his new engine from the builder and said it was 820 something. I told them that if he believed it he was as lost as the guy building it. He replied, I have the dyno sheets. So he is convinced he is right. Thanks for the replies.

yeah, i'd say the dyno operator cheated the numbers up a little. even with the best of the best stuff in a 23 degree head motor i'd think you're lucky to see low 700's. and if you need 825 hp to be competitive in a mod, i'd say you need to go somewhere else. needless to say you could show someone how to spin the tires around the whole track.

I think mullins is getting over 700 with there new outlaw 23 degree heads, but never heard of anyone getting 825.

the mullins/degase head will make in the mid 7's . i could make a 350 read 800+ on dyno by turning the little knob under the consol. the best 23 stuff wont see those numbers without help such as juice or forced induction

What was the CF ( correction factor ) on the dyno sheet? What power did the engine make at 5200rpm?

What was the fuel consumption #/HR , at peak HP from the dyno sheets?

If your cylinder heads flow about 425-450 cfm, then it is possible. All-Pro's might do it and maybe the Profiler's done by Morgan might do it but it would be way easier and cheaper to buy a nice set of SB-2's but I bet your rule require 23*.

400", big carb, a lot of compression and really good race gas C-16 / C-25 / Pro-Stock can make a big difference.
    Last edited by dynoman14; 03-01-2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by charcoal01 View Post
    know a very very experienced builder who just built a 401 with most of the best parts in it, 23 degree rhs heads, crower crank, dart block etc, did 675 hp and 605 tq on the dyno. not sure how you get much more than that without investing 40k or running 9 degree heads. pm if you would like to know who built it. torque band on that motor is crazy.
    I'd like to know, but your PM box is full. How about you PM me, LOL. I was looking at building a 406 in this neighborhood for a late model. Any info on parts selection would be nice. I was looking at some 23 degree heads from Mullins race engines, anybody deal with them? Also could an engine like this be run on E85. I'm not an engine guy, my domain is shocks and suspension, but I'm trying to learn more about full race engines so please bare with me.
    www.mullinsraceengines.com/

Sorry, posted before I read all the posts... Anybody like Mulllins?
    Last edited by F22 RAPTOR; 04-15-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Didn't see later posts, duh!
    "If racing were easy, everybody would do it."

#77 Leon "Slick" Sells

Some of the best modifieds in the nation run mullins.They put out a great product.There are also alot of other shops that put out great products as well. I believe a Dargie engine won the ump mod championship this year.

I know a set of AllPRo 245's with the Valve angles rolled over to just over 17* will make 840 in a wild
    380ci with all top of line parts and everything imaginable to make power done. But the best best true 23* head will not make anywhere near that number. Nicely ported and CNC'd will get you 700-720hp.

I LOVE when you talk to someone at the track and they tell you they are getting 800+ hp out of a 23* motor, it is even better when they are using a stock production block.

Hey Ego,

What has been going on.

Emjay

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    I LOVE when you talk to someone at the track and they tell you they are getting 800+ hp out of a 23* motor, it is even better when they are using a stock production block.
    I'm not a motor guy and thats just silly, even I know better than that.

Who would be a good cam grinder for 23 deg heads?
    Best Intake?
    What cranks should I stay away from?
    "If racing were easy, everybody would do it."

#77 Leon "Slick" Sells

We run a 421" SB2.2, 15:1 engine with all the good stuff in it and it made 819 on an honest dyno built by a gentleman that is no longer with us on this board. The heads flowed somewhere in the 415-420 range if I remember right. 800+ hp out of a 23* head that is usable in a dirt car?? Nah, would not believe it...but you do know what PT Barnum said about suckers!!! LOL

Looked at Mullins website and it says theu are making 750hp with their 23 degree head. Has anyone run these and can verify this?