Default muncie or saginaw?

which is the better transmission for racing as far as durability and setup for clutch?

alum case muncie is repairable if you crack the case also about 20 lighter

You can weld cast iron too. Muncie's are great for weight but are hard to come by and pretty costly when you find one. Saginaws are dime a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by parrot69777 View Post
    You can weld cast iron too. Muncie's are great for weight but are hard to come by and pretty costly when you find one. Saginaws are dime a dozen.
    Are you looking for a muncie? Ive got one lightened one left but I believe my trans builder still has a half dozen. $350 for mine, fresh from the shop.

Sold a saginaw lw today for $300.

stock saginaw got less reciprocating weight than a stock muncie...aluminum is lighter over all but trans in low an in middle of car any ways...don't see aluminum being stronger than cast iron ether,.....good muncie goes for round 600 round here,...sag'z go for 150 an lot easier to find!!!

oh yeah,..shifters are cheaper for saginaw an easier to put together being its got one less rod to run
    Last edited by dirty white boy; 03-05-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    alum case muncie is repairable if you crack the case also about 20 lighter
    Also a lot easier to remove 1st and 2nd and have a lighter drive line than a sag. Aluminum is MUCH easier to weld as you can have it welded while still together, Cast iron has to be heated before welding and would require you to remove all internals and have the races out before welding to do it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    Also a lot easier to remove 1st and 2nd and have a lighter drive line than a sag. Aluminum is MUCH easier to weld as you can have it welded while still together, Cast iron has to be heated before welding and would require you to remove all internals and have the races out before welding to do it correctly.
    I agree but I give up about trying to use common sense on here.

I thought we all ran lightened trans, I didnt know anyone ever ran a oem muncie in a race car. Seems that wouldnt be wise since they sell all day long on ebay for 1000.

I also dont know where you would FIND a cheap saginaw. I FIND them in speedway catalog and when other racers sell them only. They are not in junk yards around here. But maybe everyone doesnt have 50 dirt tracks within 6 hours of their house!

I know from my own experience about cracking sag. And welding them and them re cracking next to the weld. Alum case is the way to go.

I guess the guy that welds all the ones around here must have a secret trick. He has welded several sags while they are still together and has yet to have one crack again.

I also can't figure out why anyone would want to run a muncie when you can sell the case alone for $300. About every message board has someone selling a complete sag for $100-$125 or so. Other than making the car lighter as a whole.....it does nothing for scaling purposes as the trans is almost in a neutral spot in the car.

Never claimed to know much about transmissions....but most people are starting to go with some sort of a cast iron direct drive trans?

Depends on application and availability......without knowing what you are running and what the rules are, and conditions its just a matter of preference or what you have readily available.

stocker 3500lbs muncie or saginaw 3 spd fine aluminum is waste of a good tranny
    stocker 3000lbs muncie and saginaw not as good, aluminum more desirable
    limited 2800lbs need aluminum tranny

my $.02

around here everybody either runs a powerglide, direct drive saginaw or an aluminum cased saginaw that has internals lightened. i would think taking 25lbs off from near the drivers feet would help quite a bit since you could take that 25lbs and put it in back. especially if weight is a big issue for you.

direct drive video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEAaHjNuFV4

aluminum trans: http://www.mitchell-machine.com/ProductPictures.htm

Where can you get 300 for a muncie case?

There are a dozen on ebay for 120-220 buy it now's. I love to make easy money please let me know.

I need a 3speed muncie case, anyone have one?

yeah... i sold a ligtened muncie on ebay last summer, went for 255 bucks, 294 with shippng, i have never seen a lightened muncie bring over $350 on ebay, i have seen plenty of people asking more for them in classifieds, but ebay kind of reveals the cold hard truth on the value of those "rare desirable" parts... if it was in a race car odds are it aint worth a grand anymore, and if its a muncie the odds are it was already in a race car at some point lol, the days of scoring an m20/m21 at the bone yard are looooooong gone

most aluminum cased trannies, saginaw or muncie are going for 400 to 500 in my area.

and Keith, I need about 10 saginaw 3 speed cases, if you find any.

Quote Originally Posted by carowner73 View Post
    most aluminum cased trannies, saginaw or muncie are going for 400 to 500 in my area.

and Keith, I need about 10 saginaw 3 speed cases, if you find any.
    I have a couple complete 3 spd saginaws I can sell, $175 each. I'm in Monroe, GA

maybe them hillbillies should get some internet service.... hell the 300 bucks they save on a tranny would cover the first year of service... lmao

sometimes its hard to trust people selling stuff on the internet, its just easier to buy local and pay a little more.

and Keith, I'll give ya $150 each and I can probably find a muncie case for delivery to Cochran.
    Last edited by carowner73; 03-08-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    I agree but I give up about trying to use common sense on here.

I thought we all ran lightened trans, I didnt know anyone ever ran a oem muncie in a race car. Seems that wouldnt be wise since they sell all day long on ebay for 1000.

I also dont know where you would FIND a cheap saginaw. I FIND them in speedway catalog and when other racers sell them only. They are not in junk yards around here. But maybe everyone doesnt have 50 dirt tracks within 6 hours of their house!

I know from my own experience about cracking sag. And welding them and them re cracking next to the weld. Alum case is the way to go.
    Now that the parts are 30+ years old I have seen some tracks throwing in that "Stock" classes must have 4 working forward gears. There was a guy in Florida that was cutting the 1st and 2nd and cutting them down to lighten them and sold a complete muncie with shifter for $650 and that was all new bearings fluid in them.

Use a high nickel rod when welding cast iron. We do it on equipment all the time. Yes its not the best way but it works just fine. If you were welding a chamber of a head that would be a different story.