Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by TeamGRT12x View Post
    I'm still baffled at why you took 150 pounds of spring rate out of the left rear.
    Technically I did take the spring rate out, but when the spring is compressed at ride height it has almost the same length as the 13". The 13" was compressed to around 9 or 10", now the 16" is compressed the same or almost the same. The way this helped me is that down the straights it has the compression as before, but in the corners when the car rolls over the spring stays in contact with the rearend providing more force on the left rear. I went from pretty much no weight on the LR to actually have some weight. It helped a lot come out of the corners with forward bite. It went from one wheel pulling to both wheels pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTechRacing View Post
    Do you have stock spring pockets, or weight jacks? I would like to try it also.
    I am running homemade spring buckets with 11" jack bolts. Stock Car Driver said that they were asphalt buckets, I dont know about that. I just made them out of some plate and a 7" ID peice of pipe, with a nut welded to plate on top.

Quote Originally Posted by hot_rod View Post
    Technically I did take the spring rate out, but when the spring is compressed at ride height it has almost the same length as the 13". The 13" was compressed to around 9 or 10", now the 16" is compressed the same or almost the same. The way this helped me is that down the straights it has the compression as before, but in the corners when the car rolls over the spring stays in contact with the rearend providing more force on the left rear. I went from pretty much no weight on the LR to actually have some weight. It helped a lot come out of the corners with forward bite. It went from one wheel pulling to both wheels pulling.

When the car rolls over and the spring extends you dont have any more force pushing down than you did before.

The spring is way to soft to have any rate as its extended..

for example

250 16 @12.75 = 860#
    225 16 @12.75= 765#ish
    150 16 @12.75=500# ish

If it worked to help you than its for some other reason than the springs rate.

Well that was the theory behind why I put it in. I don't think that there is a lot of pressure being applied to the LR, but it has more than before. I can't say what exactly was the overall contributing factor to the car running as good as it did,but the only thing that changed was the spring. With the new setup, I might not be able to run high on the track anymore. Our track is so rough that high is generally the better line if you miss the giant holes and ruts. Since a lot of people don't run down low it seems to hold together better. I am extremely happy with the setup, the only thing that I regret is waiting until there was only 3 races left in the season when I put it in.

This is pretty close as to what I actually have:
    Old: 13" 250 compressed to 9.5" = 875lbs
    13" 250 no compression = 0lbs
    New: 16" 100 compressed to 7.5" = 850lbs
    16" 100 compressed to 3" = 300lbs.

To me the 300lbs in the LR is better than the 0lbs. I'm approximating the compression for the 16" in the corners but that is close to what the car is rolling over. So there is my logic and thought process. It might be completely wrong but it worked out for me.

You are over engineering this whole thing. You're building kinetic energy with a compressed spring. It only goes so far. If you need more left rear drive, you need to add left rear bite. The spring table with that soft spring is going to be real messed up.

Well that was the theory behind why I put it in. I don't think that there is a lot of pressure being applied to the LR, but it has more than before. I can't say what exactly was the overall contributing factor to the car running as good as it did,but the only thing that changed was the spring. With the new setup, I might not be able to run high on the track anymore. Our track is so rough that high is generally the better line if you miss the giant holes and ruts. Since a lot of people don't run down low it seems to hold together better. I am extremely happy with the setup, the only thing that I regret is waiting until there was only 3 races left in the season when I put it in.

This is pretty close as to what I actually have:
    Old: 13" 250 compressed to 9.5" = 875lbs
    13" 250 no compression = 0lbs
    New: 16" 100 compressed to 7.5" = 850lbs
    16" 100 compressed to 3" = 300lbs.

To me the 300lbs in the LR is better than the 0lbs. I'm approximating the compression for the 16" in the corners but that is close to what the car is rolling over. So there is my logic and thought process. It might be completely wrong but it worked out for me.
    a 16 250 would have been better

But like I said if it worked then something else is working for you not the spring, lol..

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    a 16 250 would have been better

But like I said if it worked then something else is working for you not the spring, lol..
    I can't say that the spring was the fix all either, but I'm pretty happy with it.

I can't say that the spring was the fix all either, but I'm pretty happy with it.
    Were you able to get back to the same amount of bite and wheel weights with the soft spring?

And yes I would be happy too if it works..

Im hoping that my rf frame being bent up a inch and a half will make the car faster, lol..

I fixed the left sunday am and bent the right sunday pm. two weeks ago. Its been a rough two weekends at special events. Was towed off on 2 trucks last friday, replaced everything for saturday, won the b and bent some stuff in it on a tractor tire.

ran the a and car was a handfull finished 11th and found steering box sloppy and idler with half inch of play.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Were you able to get back to the same amount of bite and wheel weights with the soft spring?
    We never wrote down what the setup was before the spring. We scaled it in the middle of season. I remembered what the cross percentage was and we got it back to where it was before. The wheel weights was something that we should have written down, but I got all of the percentages to what we thought they were before and I know that we put the cross back.

Well Jeff hopefully your luck will turn back around. After I t-boned the wall in June we had to have my right front pulled. My car now is the best that I have ever had.

Thanks so much for this! This is exactly what I was looking for

Well Jeff hopefully your luck will turn back around. .
    survived night one

4th in passing points out of 44 cars
    4th in the 15 car pole dash which the top 6 got locked in

got to 2nd easy behind a good friend so was taking it easy and happy with being locked in and two guys decided they really wanted to mix it up banging on me and each other so i ended up 4th, no flats etc, lol..

I still don't understand how you completely unloading the LR. Unless something else is wrong.
    Have ya got the back of the car way up in the air? Is the RF really soft?
    I'm just don't understand how ya completely unloading a 13 spring with a weight jack.
    Last edited by Driver88; 10-08-2011 at 03:21 PM.

A 100lb spring with 300lb on it will compress 3 inches

A 250 lb spring with 300 lb on it will compress 1.2 inches

So if your 250lb spring compresses 3 inches it has 750 lb on it.

A 100 lb spring with 750 lb on it will compress 7.5 inches.

Your welcome hot rod still doing good with soft spring?
    Wren Goodman