Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by 01racing View Post
    do you need to run alot of rebound with the stack ?
    Yes you do.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I don't see how it can break stuff at least with the bump stop we run they are over 4" long. Running alot of rebound seems like a bad idea unless the track was as smooth as glass everytime you go over a bump it would keep the tire from making full contact with the track.

Quote Originally Posted by big88fan View Post
    I don't see how it can break stuff at least with the bump stop we run they are over 4" long. Running alot of rebound seems like a bad idea unless the track was as smooth as glass everytime you go over a bump it would keep the tire from making full contact with the track.
    Thats my point, to make it really go, it needs to be tied down and so you end up with not much travel. You find a hole or a rutt the wrong way and all that energy is driven into the chassis and suspension components. Look if you like it and it works for you thats great, but I have my opinion and you have yours, thats all. Bump is way better than coil bind, I'm just not a fan of either.
    "If racing were easy, everybody would do it."

#77 Leon "Slick" Sells

i use a bump stop that is 3in long, at a height of 1 1/4 in it has 1400 psi and can compress a little further however it never does, i cant see this being any harsher on equipment than a stacked setup useing the common 700 lb primary spring which means once it hits she spanner it would have to travel 2 inches to reach the 1400lb mark, as apposed to 1 3/4in on the bump, not really much difference. this is my personal assessment the bumpstop is the simplest way to try the lastest craze of the soft right front if your track is slick and smooth, this is when i prefer bump over the stacked, however on a rough and heavy track, i feel the stack has a slight edge in that it want disrupt the car as much but is a moderate amount harder to tune. as far as rt fr rebound on the bump, i start with 50psi gas in shock and 60 percent rebound if the car has a slight throttle push when i pick up the throttle, i start increasing rebound, if it has a bad push then theres a lot of options,decrease wedge,raise lower left bar, trail lf rear which idont like,and list goes on and on ,i hope this helps some

At what point does a bump stop become a rubber spring?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    At what point does a bump stop become a rubber spring?
    at the point when the shock body touches the slider on top of the bump stop, re suspension has all the data on there web site that shows the psi of there bump stops at different heights

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    at the point when the shock body touches the slider on top of the bump stop, re suspension has all the data on there web site that shows the psi of there bump stops at different heights
    I was just being a smartazz. What dirt guys are now calling bumpstops, I would just call a spring. To me, a bumpstop stops the suspension travel. More or less, the height remains fairly constant no matter how much force is applied to it. That was what the original bumpstops used in various forms of motorsport were.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I was just being a smartazz. What dirt guys are now calling bumpstops, I would just call a spring. To me, a bumpstop stops the suspension travel. More or less, the height remains fairly constant no matter how much force is applied to it. That was what the original bumpstops used in various forms of motorsport were.
    I was wondering what happened to you, LOL. I guess technically whats being run isn't a bump stop, but dang if I know what to call it except what you said, "a rubber spring". A true bump stop is something low riders drive around on, thats why you see them stuck on speed bumps.
    "If racing were easy, everybody would do it."

#77 Leon "Slick" Sells

yes they should be called suspension bushings that is what they are, anyways something else to keep in mind when running a suspension bushing like the one mentioned before, its 1400psi at 1 3/4 that divids out to a 800lbs spring but then you have to add your actual spring on top of that so say you have a 375 on the rf once you reach the suspension bushing your spring rate goes up to 1175, something to keep in mind for the ones wanting to try this out

theirs one more point i wanted to make about the bump stop setup, or rubber bushing spring or what ever you want to call it, it acts more like a progressive spring,the stacked setup is still linear after it hits the primary spring ,i think this is the stacked setups main advantage on a rough heavy track. both these setups are good once you understand them, but they are not for the beginner, here is an example, a guy at our local track that just moved up to limited late model this year and had been running top ten all year, decided to try the bump stop, his car would not turn left in a 40 acre field on throttle,he got lapped by the top 3 cars, who were all on bump stops, it scared him so bad he said he was taking it back off,he was to inexperienced to understand what was happening.