Default Southern All Stars Founder BJ Parker Dies At Age 78

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

April 5th, 2011 (Graysville, AL) B.J. Parker, Southern All Stars Founder and long time Promoter passed away at the age of 78 at his Graysville, Alabama home late Monday night following a four year bout with cancer.

Parker, who seemed to never meet a stranger, was best known as founder of the Southern All Stars Dirt Racing Series that he began promoting back in 1983. He also promoted the Southern All Stars Asphalt Division and promoted various speedways over the years and was inducted into the second class in 2002 to The National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame for his longtime contributions to the sport.

“BJ was everybody’s friend;” said his son-in-law Lynn Phillips who promotes Talladega Short Track in Alabama, widely considered the home track for the Southern All Stars for many years. “He had the respect of the drivers because he treated ‘em all the same. He was everybody’s friend and he loved to make people laugh. I never met a more positive person than BJ; no matter the situation, he was always positive” continued Phillips. It’s a very sad day for all of us but BJ is in a much better place and he won’t have to suffer anymore.”

Charles Roberts, who along with partner David Miller purchased the Southern All Stars from Parker in 2004, stated: “BJ was a pioneer in our sport, not only for Southern All Stars but Dirt Racing in general. He had a wonderful sense of humor and was always a joy to be around. “He will be sadly missed by everyone that knew him.”

Longtime friend Jimmy ‘PUP’ Thomas, who works for Hoosier Tire South, remembers the first time he ever met BJ back in the early 1980’s. “It was at Oglethorpe Speedway in Pooler, Georgia; he was cutting up with his wife Gail, of more than 50 years, and remembers BJ jokingly telling her ‘he was a good lookin’ man when she met him and that she would never be able to leave him because she had worn the pretty off of him’. “I’ll never forget that” stated Thomas; he always had something like that to say; you never knew what he might say next” added Thomas. “At least I know now I’ve got someone looking over me at whatever venue I go to” said Thomas.

Parker was preceded in death by his son Michael and is survived by his wife Gail of more than fifty years along with daughter Jenny and son-in-law Lynn Phillips of Birmingham, AL along with several family members and countless friends

Funeral Services will be held at Crestview Funeral Home located at 5250 Veterans Memorial Boulivard in Adamsville, Alabama. The family will receive friends Wednesday, April 6th from 5:30pm until 8:00pm CST. Interment will occur on Thursday April 7th at 11:00am.
    Last edited by Southern Allstars PR; 04-05-2011 at 04:36 PM.

This is still the longest running series going ... based on the values of this great man!!