Thread: hei w/msd box

Default hei w/msd box

Has anyone had any luck with the running an MSD 6al box and external MSD coil with an HEI distributor base? Just wondering if we could save a few bucks and still have a dependable ignition

We have always ran HEI dist. before and wanting to upgrade. Also, which MSD box are guys running? the 6t, 6a, 6al?

Since no one else has posted any help, I will put in my 2cents. I had a 94 GMC Jimmy that I had put a 383 in and the factory HEI wasnt cutting it. I bought a MSD HEI kit from summit or jegs and it came with a 6AL box, Blaster 2 external coil, cap, rotor, and a new coil cover that allowe the use of the external coil. I ended up buying a an external coil that was a direct replacement for the small GM distrubutor and made it work with the MSD 6AL box. It can be done and if I remember right the kit wasnt that expensive over buying everything needed seperately.

Here is a link to the system that I bought originally.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8500/?rtype=10

I think he is talking about using a HEI dist to trigger the msd box. yes it works fine.

Yes, that is what I was talking about, thank you.

We ran a series that required a factory Dist, You can run the MSD with the HEI module (Over 4 pin) and without (4 pin module). We removed our 4 pin and never looked back. It is an easy install and wiring is simple, they even have it on the MSD web site. Page 31 of the MSD wiring diagrams and tech tips on their web site.