Default gm 604 super high oil temps

we ran last weekend and its the 1st time we have used a oil cooler, so i put 10 quarts of oil in and the oil temp was around 300??? i didnt run one last year and never had a problem with oil temps??

you either had too much oil or you have a restriction in your cooler sytem some where

what size line are you using?---should be 12's

are you using full flow aluminum fittings ---you should be

are you using a high quality filter adapter

Did you check your oil level with the engine warm and running

its a brand new prc double pass oil cooler, # 12 lines, moroso oil filter adapter, most of the fittings are alumium full flow fittings but i also has a couple 1/2 inch pipe thread fittings, out of the bottom of the engines, how do i check the oil level running ?? i dont have a dipstick on a 604???

If your Moroso adapter is a sandwich type adapter (filter on the block) chances are it is pretty restrictive

you refereed to a couple of 1/2 inch pipe fittings like they might be something other than full flow
    weatherhead (brass) or any steel fitting will be very restrictive and create heat.

below I will quote proper oil level checks from our website this and other helpful hints can be found under crate engine FAQ at www.race-1.com
    oil level was one of the first things that Bill Hendren taught me when I got into the crate business.

Proper Oil Level for GM 604/602

With the use of more expensive and exotic oils some racers have a false sense of security and do not check oil on a regular basis. This is a dangerous practice and it is stongly recommended to put the following procedure into your weekly maintenance schedule or pre-race prep.

1) Using the oil level inspection plug located on the left side of the 604 oil pan —make sure you can see that oil is near the hole.

2) Reasonably level the engine front to rear and side to side

3) Warm the engine to operating temperature

4) With the engine level, warmed up, and running at idle remove the oil level inspection plug and measure oil level.

We recommend the level to be 3/8 to 5/8 of an inch below the female threads of the inspection hole.

**SPECIAL NOTES**

On tracks with extremely long straight-aways 1 additional quart may be needed to maintain a safe level.

Over filling under normal conditions will overheat the oil and cut power significantly.

Engines with oil coolers MUST be checked running

The inspection plug for the 602 is on the right side of the pan and both 604 and 602 inspection plugs are higher than the centerline of the pans.

Do not confuse the inspection plug with the drain plug as they both have a 9/16 wrench head.

Brad
    www.race-1.com