Cool lIGHTENING UP A BERT

Anybody out there tried lightening up a Bert for crate use? I am not sure if it is even worth it but thought I would ask. PM me if you would rather not post . Thanks!

1600 bucks for a racing designed trans,..think if it could be made better/lighter bert woulda did it them selves an add few more hundred to the cost.....but any thang is posible

I guess my thoughts are it will easily hande 800+ HP with no problem so maybe shave a little here a little there understanding that it's only good for a crate car now.

Default New 2nd Generation Bert.......!

If you can get one !!!! Demand is supposedly greater than supply right now !

It would be a waste of time . The gaines would be negligible if any!

get yourself a 2nd generation bert trans. those bad boys are 10-12 lbs lighter then the standard bert trans.

Cool

On order!!!!!!

Cool

Anyone need a fresh ball spline?????

Default 2nd generation bert

if you are not buying the trans straight from bert make sure you call them with the serial number and make sure it is the updated one because we have ran one for 2 years now and have been through 3 cases because the clutch band pistion wedges in the case and breaks off the only way to fix it is to replace the case just to inform everyone

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Anybody out there tried lightening up a Bert for crate use? I am not sure if it is even worth it but thought I would ask. PM me if you would rather not post . Thanks!
    Yes they can be ligtened up a lite more I got a few pounds out of a z code bert. you have to under cut the surfaces and drill holes on an evenly spaced pattern and chamfer all edges.if you look at an older set of Quick change gears and a newer lite set you'll see it's the same idea.plus you can drill out all the shafts as long as you don't go all the way threw I went just short of half way from both ends. bert has already gun drilled the tail shaft but it can go bigger and deeper.all this has to done using carbide cutter as all the gears and shafts have been heat treated. all this work added up to $500.00 in cost at my shop rate.also look at your lubes are they at lite as possible if you run a short track you can get by with thinner oils(motor,trany and rearend)the cup guy's do this for qualifing still, ther is a long list of ways to cut drag on an the drive train.

How much lighter is the rotating weight is what I would like to know. Same with the new Brinn. Anybody have any idea? I'm not worried about over all weight.

When they started lightening the QC gears they started having failures now 99% of the companies do not recommend running the non normal ratio and ONLY the top gear has holes in it. The holes were aerating the oil and the bearings were failing. Drilling the center out of a shaft will lighten it but it will NOT make it accelerate any faster. TO accelerate faster you have to lighten the moment of inertia which is the weight X diameter squared. A 4 inch 25 lb drive shaft will accelerate slower than a 3 inch 35 lb shaft. The gun drilling of the shaft has VERY VERY little to do with acceleration BUT it will make it fail quicker.

why not just get a falcon....they are the lightest to being with if i remember correctly....something like 42lbs. we are now on our 5th year with our falcon and still the original clutch pack. we put a new rear seal it in 2 times a year (just to keep it fresh and because its really easy) and change the fluid every 5 weeks with ATF and never have any trouble. people complain about how hard they shift but with proper care they work just fine...you only shift it 1 time anyways, not like were running a road course