Default How to set up a bert?

Im going to be switching to a bert transmission and have never used one before (powerglide in the past). How do I hook up the shifter levers and the clutch pedal? Any info. and/or pics would be appreciated. thanks. If you have pics send them to bart_king@comcast.net.

Clutch pedal hooks straight to the tranny with a -4 braided line. Uses the standard late model type shifter.

the biggest thing you'll have to get used to is pushing the clutch in to go in low and rev.I've seen a lot of guy's over the years come in to the pits after a race and slam into the trailer or other cars because they pushed the pedal to the floor instead of letting off completly.

So the two shift levers hook to the trans. and the clutch actually just hooks directly to trans. with braided line? figured it would be set up with a slave cylinder and a mechanical arm. Can anyone put any pics on here? About the only thing I had been told in the past is that you have to push in the clutch to move in low and reverse.

Your gonna need a longer Driveshaft also, Berts are shorter.

Don't have one yet for this car. Its a lightning chassis so will just call Donnie for info. on that.

Here is an exploded diagram of a bert: http://www.poske.com/partpics/Bert/schematic_09.png you can kind of see how it works here.

I believe you actually want to run a -3 line to the bert to make it easier to bleed. As they can be a pain in the rear to get bled. We generally have better luck bleeding them with no fluid in the bert. We have a lot of luck out of the spectre bert fluid; but some guys use other fluids and just change them more frequently.

As far as the shifter layout and such goes I always set mine up so the shifter closest to me is my high and low gear shifter and the shifter closest to the middle of the car is for reverse. Going from memory here but I believe the top shifter arm on the bert is for high and low and the lower one is for reverse.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately don't really see where the hose coming from the clutch hooks into trans. So you are actually hooking up the clutch master cylinder to the trans. and circulating fluid between the two with the small braided line? Does anyone have a pic?

Shoot me a PM with your cell phone number/ email address and I will get you a pic from my phone. There is a hydraulic cylinder on the front of the tail housing that compresses the clutch mechanism to allow you to drive in low and reverse.

once you actually have the trans you will have no problem figuring it out a monkey could hook it up. tough to tell whats going on in diagrams

I hope so. thanks for all your help.

If you look at the schematic look at the bottom of the tail shaft housing. Items #61, 62, 63 and 64. Right behind that below the long part of the housing is where the line connects.