Default is the reher morrison book worth it?

It's about eighty bucks, and is supposed to be a great resource for assembling race motors. I'm running a claimer class, and need to keep costs way down. I've assembled ministock motors, and other hobby stock ones over the years, but always went to a larger shop for the really higher end ones. But they shut down, and the wingnut left in town wants double the other guy, for the same parts internally. I can't afford to hang a 8K motor in a chassis with a $1K claimer rule. Been using scat rods, any forged 2vr piston that's cheap that month, and GM steel cranks (harder to find every day). In blocks that are either used, or off of craigslist from other peoples projects. Usually I get lucky and have $300 into a block that's bored and decked. Would like to keep going this route and assemble myself.

Is this book decent, the reher morrison championship assembly book, or is it a book with all the old circle track articles they could find reprinted? I know my stuff may not end up as good as the engine guy left, but I'd rather have 2-3K into my motors than 8K. Thank you

I have wondered the same thing. Goodson also has a pricey book that looks promising. Any comments +/- are welcome.
    Like Herb,Marshall,and the Fabulous Hudson Hornet...GONE

Its a great book.They have there own opinions on what works and what doent.I think it is definantly worth the money.

Yes its a great book/ books. Its really a student textbook for there engine building classes. It is a wise purchase.

weather the book is worth it depends on how much of whats in the book you already know vs how much you can comprehend from it,...that would depend on how much knowledge on engines you already have...id suggest with todays fast paced technology going with a modern up to date as you can...but then again,..i still like smokey yunicks power secrets book!! good luck an happy reading!

You must be around my age. I still have that book too!!! LOL Yes its also a good book. I think you should read everything you can. Knowledge is power! You decide how to use it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Graff Spee View Post
    You must be around my age. I still have that book too!!! LOL Yes its also a good book. I think you should read everything you can. Knowledge is power! You decide how to use it!!!
    im 40,...an agree with this post!!

Yup, 47 over here!

Quote Originally Posted by Graff Spee View Post
    Yup, 47 over here!
    i see you from the north/west surburbs of chy-town,..probably near rt 31 an rt 14,..use to deliver a lot of new north carolina furniture in your neck of the woods!! where you racein at southern wis??

peoria, Lasalle, fairbury. Depends on whats running and how much. Also its just me and the wife so there are those factors.