Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    eddieb1965 Guest

Default Help,I'm ready to sell the car!!!

I have a 406 with cast RHS heads 12.5-1. I am trying to get this to run on alcohol with no luck .My problem is I am blowing 12" blue flames out the headers.Ive tried 3 alcohol carbs and used a carb that was ran last year with 93 jets front and rear, and have had the timing all over.I am not blowing fuel thru the carb or by the needle and seats.One suggestion was try a hotter Hei, I have also installed new plugs and am running the correct fuel pump and pressure.I dont think I want to jet any leaner than I already have it. Any ideas? I'm wasting my time and money with this setup ,and am thinking about staying parked or maybe going back to gas later (more money). Thanks for any suggestions ,Eddie

Was the engine ever ran before? If so what was changed other than carb/fuel pump?
    One suggestion is to make sure the timing is right and fill the front bowl of the carb with gas instead of alcohol to get it started. This is commonly done especially when the air temperature is cool.

How much fuel pressure are you running, (idle and at speed)? Flames out the pipe indicate a rich condition, but why is the question. Is timing locked out? How much are you running? Air filter or housing isn't restricting carb flow?
    Josh K.

eddieb1965 Guest

I guess my last 2 responses didnt post... I have talked myself into going back to gas.Alcohol is cheaper and runs cooler,thats it. Here are the drawbacks I have found. It is hard starting.Will run you out of the garage in 10 seconds. Need to use and store alot more of it.Alot harder on your engine. Corrodes the crap out of anything metal.Makes a better refreshment than a fuel.I will change all the cooling system over and find a different carb and fuel pump,drain what little alcohol is left and see how it sounds.Guess going to alcohol wasnt one of my better ideas. Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by eddieb1965 View Post
    I guess my last 2 responses didnt post... I have talked myself into going back to gas.Alcohol is cheaper and runs cooler,thats it. Here are the drawbacks I have found. It is hard starting.Will run you out of the garage in 10 seconds. Need to use and store alot more of it.Alot harder on your engine. Corrodes the crap out of anything metal.Makes a better refreshment than a fuel.I will change all the cooling system over and find a different carb and fuel pump,drain what little alcohol is left and see how it sounds.Guess going to alcohol wasnt one of my better ideas. Eddie
    you will like the gas a lot better . the extra fuel load helps ballance the car on long runs . i tried to send you a p.m but it wont let me (you better not be blockin me - i got a big ol bumper for blockers ...lol ) . you might have your valves set to tight . that will let a fuel come out the pipes lit up . fix your (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) p.m's i dont wana share all my info with evaryone . lol
    BUMPERS ARE FOR BLOCKERS !

Assuming you are using a Holley 750 alcohol carb, a good base line for a 406 would be 132 jets front & rear with 5.5 PV. 93 jets sounds more like e85 carb, so just be sure. Put in something like a Autolite 373-13 or 373-132 plug. Let engine warm up for 15-20 min & take out for 1 Hard lap & shut off. Look @ plug to see what is going on (a little harder to tune this way than gas). Alcohol fuels have a wider air/fuel ratio tolerance for good power, methanol will make excellent power from a correct air/fuel ratio up to a rich condition, there is no need to "lean her out" for power as you would with gas. Also run 2-4 more degrees of timing than you did on gas because alcohol burn's so much cooler and slower than gasoline.
    Hope this help's.....
    Last edited by cassellracing24; 04-17-2011 at 12:19 PM.
    Central IL Bert Transmission Rebuilder
    Brian (217)201-3640

Sounds like of you have 93's in it some one drilled the metering block to get the extra fuel. That is the old school method. If you dont know who did it or what size drill bit they used then its a crap shoot on what jets to use.

You would be better off throwing that carb in a box and getting one that was built right.
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

eddieb1965 Guest

My login thing has always been screwed up,I'll figure it out sometime. I set my valves hot with the cam card,so hot lash shouldnt be tight ,especially when cold .The other carb I tried is a 850 Holley with 142's front and back with 6.6 power valves and 45 squirters.I could try a set of 132's but would that make that much difference? I will try those plugs,that would be cheap and worth a try. Does anyone suspect my HEI,It is a KMJ cheapo with a 65,000 coil and i have good wires(I have also ran this on gas with good results.) Can a HEI run good on gas and not be hot enough on alcohol?

I had a issue last year with a blue flame when i lifted getting in the corner. Chased it for a few weeks and ended up being a cracked header. I don't know why it done it but changed the header and was fine.

The diff between 132 & 142 is huge cosidering you have 4 jets, a 6.5 P.V. is rather big unless you have a very mild cam, try what I described above & let us know. Do not run more than 1 or 2 laps untill you have verified plug's.
    Central IL Bert Transmission Rebuilder
    Brian (217)201-3640

eddieb1965 Guest

Ok,I pulled #1 and #2 plugs Plugs are brand new Accel 576 gapped at .035.-Electrodes are a purple color back at the bend where it attaches to the plug.One is fairly purple color at the bend the other is very slightly purple in color. What is this telling me? Timing off that much,or wrong plugs,or gap? Will a rich condition make them look this way?I will get the Autolite plugs but I can only find AR132 are they the same as you were mentioning.I have never been over 210 with this engine and only got to 210 at high idle setting still on a pretty hot day.

eddieb1965 Guest

After some quick research,looks like my timing is close.It also looks like I need a colderplug,which the Ar132's are. My plugs are chrome color,so is this why I'm getting a purple color? Anything else I should look at,I will get the 132 jets and the 5.5 power valves. Thanks Eddie

I would get the right spark plugs and ditch the carb with the old skool gas jets and extra holes. Alcohol works great with the right stuff. Nothing works good with bad equipment.

eddieb1965 Guest

I did ,I have my alky carb back on with 142 jets.I will get 4 132's and the right heat range plugs and see what it does then. Thanks for all the responses,Eddie I know alky works,but everyone now is running belt drive pumps and high tech bypasses with engine builders tuning them.I am on my own and am just trying to get this setup to work,without spending major bucks.

eddieb1965 Guest

For anyone following this thread,I may have found the problem. My carb is an 850 CFM,and may be to big.I was also told dont jet down anymore as Jetting only affects the WOT ,not idle.The only thing I may be able to do to this carb is screw the 4 corner idles way in and lower the idle to around 1000-1200 rpm so I am not trickleing fuel out the boosters. I will give it a shot,but may be looking for a 650-750 CFM carb. Thanks to anyone who replied(Sorry I failed to mention what size my carb was,this may have caused some misdiagnosis on my part) Eddie

850 cfm should have nothing to do with the problem if it is set up right.

I agree.. I have an 850 on my 358.

eddieb1965 Guest

Looks like I have at least 3 carbs that will not work on my engine.I guess they are all either converted wrong or setup wrong.Does anyone know of anyone in Central Illinois that I could pay to have this diagnosed.Engine is in car and I would bring it to you.I am chasing my tail and am out of time and patience. Thanks Eddie Call or E-mail me at 217-371-9418

Do you have a header leak(gasket, broken/leaking header)? Seems like you have gone through several carbs and they are all doing the same thing. I would look else where...timing, foul plug, distributor not locked, valve lash, etc....!

eddieb1965 Guest

Had someone today tell me they had the same problems I am having when they first went to alcohol.Hei would not run alcohol. MSD AL6 cured his problem. Looks like I'm upgrading my dist. and ignition.