Thread: oil cooler???

Default oil cooler???

If i installed a afco oil cooler on my 406 street stock motor that normally runs 280-290 degrees, how much of a drop could i expect to see? I know alot of crate guys are using them, just wondered if anyone had any before and after numbers?
    Last edited by metricss; 04-26-2011 at 08:12 PM.

i hope youre talking 280* as your oil temp and not your water temp. but depending on how much air is getting to the cooler and how big the cooler is(gives you a much larger oil capacity) you can easily see as much as a 50* change or more.

yes oil temp is 280ish, my water temp is 190ish when racing.

someone has to know something????

When we first started with our DLM, we ran a 377" wet sump engine and it got the oil to 290-300* the first night out. We installed a Seatrab oil cooler under the deck with a scoop and the oil never got above 230-240* again....

thanks for the info, Its gonna cost about 500 dollars to add a good afco cooler with fittings and adapter, so i was hopeing to hear some people say it works. I like the idea of 230-240 oil temp, might be 500 well spent.

If your oil temp is already that low I wouldnt bother. Mine was well over 300 when I installed a gauge. It took a water to oil exchanger, synthetic oil to get mine down to 260 under race conditions.

We installed a 9x12 Allstar double pass in the deck, best thing we ever did, seldom see oil over about 240, it basically mirrors the water temp, which it dropped over 30 degrees too

Prior to the cooler, we saw oil temps in excess of 320

The most expensive part was the fittings and 12 ft of -12 Pro Lite hose, the cooler was under $200

be surprised how much cooler itll run by adding a remote oil filter,...oil cooler even better!!

what is the best way to hook up a engine oil cooler on a wet sump engine?

Sandwich adapter above the oil filter, make sure you get the right one

Quote Originally Posted by hogracer3d View Post
    Sandwich adapter above the oil filter, make sure you get the right one
    And which one would that be? i remember talks of one brand being better than another 6-8mo ago

I meant get the one specifically for the oil cooler, not the one for a Accusump, or an external oil pump.

I have the Moroso one right now, and after a few races the o-rings begin to flatten out, and leak.

Just ordered a Canton, but don't have it yet, however I do like they're option of cooler before filter, or after the filter( like my Moroso)

We used a CV Products on the block, then ran a #12 to a 2 quart remote filter, a #12 to the cooler and then a #12 back to the engine...Helped a whole bunch!!

i ended up with a canton sanwich adapter that filters oil before it goes to cooler. i think the adapter was like 90 dollars, and with -10 hose and fittings, it was 250 dollars worth of plumbing parts, and ended up being loike 500 with the afco double pass cooler. i had to run a hp8 filter vs the hp4 i was running. the adapter adds 1.5 inches to filter lenth.

what kind of temp changes are you seeing on the track. because as we all know a cooler motor is a longer lasting/stronger longer setup.

With the oil cooler and a remote 2 qt oil filter, we saw the temp drop from 280-290* to 230*....