Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It is something simpleAgain, has this engine been ran before? Has it had anything changed other than the carb if ran before messing with it?Is the advance locked in the distibutor? Check that the timing is correct. Valves set correctly. If timing is right and valves are set right, the engine has good compression and good fire, then the carb is the culprit.
    Really sounds like the timing is low or the carb is loading up to me.
    Good luck

hei will fire alcohol with no problem,been doing it for years

Yes, I was getting ready to say same thing, HEI will work just fine !!!! 142 jets should be close on a 850 carb, close enuff to start tuning anyway. Timming should be around 36 with cast heads on alc. Range on Idle screw should be 1-2 turns out, any more or less is unaffective. A by-pass reg would be nice but not absolutly nessesary, as long as fuel PSI is around 8-9 & Needle\Seat are in good shape it should run good enuff to start fine tuning. If you have a fuel psi inside car watch & see what it is doing. If all else fail's call Willy's if nobody at track can help you get it lined out....

Willy's Carburetor and Dyno Shop
    1000 Market Street
    Mt. Carmel, IL 62863
    http://www.willyscarbs.com/
    Central IL Bert Transmission Rebuilder
    Brian (217)201-3640

eddieb1965 Guest

Thanks for all the responses,but unfortunately after 3 hrs in the shop today I have no good news and am out of resources(I am sole owner,sponsor and investor).I'm thru throwingtime, money into this setup and venture. Car is for sale in the classifieds.

eddieb1965 Guest

Jason,Butch and the gang at TCA has my car,Lets see what they come up with....

Please keep us updated on what they find!
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

Eddie, I see you took my advice, was Butch able to line it out? What was problem ? Hope their was no damage to motor....
    Brian (217)201-3640

eddieb1965 Guest

Its been 4 days and no word,they did call me the next morning and said the balancer may or may not be wrong,but havent heard anything else.Might not of been a simple fix.I will give Jason a ring later today.

eddieb1965 Guest

Got the car back late this afternoon,to late to go to Jacksonville tonight.Here is what Butch did. Pulled motor and found it was balanced wrong(new balancer and flexplate) looked the whole bottom end over(looked good).Changed the headers and mufflers(mine were crappy),Changed to a different plug and gapped at .040.Completely went thru carb and found a couple of bad gaskets(0 rings).Set fuel pressure a 6 psi. Bumped timing up to 37 deg. Car will idle pretty good at roughly1600-1700. I should be ready for next week if it doesnt rain.Bill wasnt to bad either. Thanks Jason,Butch and the rest of the guys at TCA.I will continue to do business with them..Eddie Beddingfield A-Mod #12

Good, hope it halls asz now !!
    Glad to hear no bottom end damage due to misbalance.
    So was it a 850 cfm & what jets did he end up putting in ??
    Last edited by cassellracing24; 05-10-2011 at 11:10 PM.
    Brian (217)201-3640

eddieb1965 Guest

He left the 142's in front and rear.He said its still a little fat but better that than lean.He also said I could upgrade the ignition and plug wires.I'll do that as cash permits. Eddie

eddieb1965 Guest

Well got to hot lap car tonight before rain set in.Butch and the TCA crew made a world of difference. I had way more motor than I had car hooked up.Now that it is driveable I can work on the other stuff. Thanks TCA for a potent and driveable powerplant. Eddie B. A-mod#12