Thread: E-85 info

Post E-85 info

Looking to switch to E-85. I have a 383 12.5:1 motor with a holley list 4780-3 , 800 cfm carb. Other than a alcohol fuel pump and larger fuel lines, what other changes do I need to make to the carb to run E-85? Would like a starting point on jet size and power valve size. Some people have said that I need to change the metering blocks also. If this is true, what is the difference between the gas and E-85 blocks? All the after marker blocks I have checked on have been 4 corner idle and my carb is just 2 corner. Is there a way to use my current metering blocks? I know I've asked a lot of questions, just trying to learn. Thanks.

Default Give John a call http://www.jdrperformance.com/

Quote Originally Posted by strykr View Post
    Looking to switch to E-85. I have a 383 12.5:1 motor with a holley list 4780-3 , 800 cfm carb. Other than a alcohol fuel pump and larger fuel lines, what other changes do I need to make to the carb to run E-85? Would like a starting point on jet size and power valve size. Some people have said that I need to change the metering blocks also. If this is true, what is the difference between the gas and E-85 blocks? All the after marker blocks I have checked on have been 4 corner idle and my carb is just 2 corner. Is there a way to use my current metering blocks? I know I've asked a lot of questions, just trying to learn. Thanks.
    I have to give this guy a big attaboy!! John from JDR performance carbs,Has built me a very affordable carb,that is so smooth. I was not sure I wanted to do the E-85 thing on my 12.5 383 640 hp on gas,But dollar for dollar,the price for the carb will pay for it self in no time on the price diff on the E-85. You cant just jet up,the E-85 carb,It falls in between the ALKY and GAS carb. And only experianced E-85 tunners should be used,unless you have alot of money for problems.
    The motor im running now,runs so cool,I need to get heat in it.We have a dobble pass rad,and a big 4 blade fan,I need to cut it back.I thought the temp gauge was broke.lol.Its very smooth on and off the trottle,seems like a different engine.No stumble,very driver freindly. Im not a fan of the smell but...... I did mix a drum of Rocket Brand E-112 with a drum of pump E-85. But only because the winter mix is still getting flushed out at the pumps.
    Checkout his site, give John a call. http://www.jdrperformance.com/
    BUSTING OURS TO KICK YOURS

x2! Good carburetors, no headaches here either.

x3,x4,x5,x6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13

jeff me
    chad
    scott
    casey
    tom
    darrin
    doug
    jake
    dana
    bob
    reese
    mitch

These are my friends and or customers who have asked me for carb advice and who now get their carbs built or from John exclusively just like I do.

Im sure Im forgetting quite a few. But these are the ones I regularly talk to and or go racing with all the time and come to mind quickly.

Question

Not trying hijack your thread, but I have a question regarding E85 also.
    I'm looking at building a 23 deg alum headed, steel block 406 and E85 is something I'm considering.
    How high can you go with your compression if you wanna run E85?
    Should the timing be set differently as well?
    Is E112 a better option than E85 or is it just as costly as racing fuel?
    Lastly where can you get Rocket brand E112/E85? Do they have a website?

Thanks
    "If racing were easy, everybody would do it."

#77 Leon "Slick" Sells

I talked to a E85 carb / engine builder last year and he said the max compression is 14.8. I'm sure there's different ideas / theories out there!

Is anybody doing any E-85 quadrajets?

I think I saw a Q-jet setup. Do a search on google put in e-85 rob mix.

To the guy looking to go e-85 on a 406. I was told they run a drag engine with 16:1 on pump e-85. But There is something about a drag cam that bleeds comp off?
    I was told on my dirt track engine to stay under 13.5. And that aluminum heads will take a higher cop ratio.The pump e-85 has a 105 octain. The rocketbrand 112 is 112.
    It acts alot like a alky engine,just alot less work.
    Timing is about the same as alky or race gas. Low comp alky motors seem to like alot of timing. I just set ours at 34.I bumped it up to 36 to see if that would add some heat. Have not ran it yet. The plugs still look new. No color at all. Hope that helps.
    Mite have to build an ark if this rain don't stop!
    Last edited by clm15; 04-27-2011 at 10:31 PM.
    BUSTING OURS TO KICK YOURS