Thread: Oil Cooler

Default Oil Cooler

Should you run a oil cooler or not.I've seen some cars with and some without.Just trying to see if it is nessasary.Only running races that are 25 to 40 laps on tracks that are 3/8 to 1/2 mile.Thanks Rick

What is your oil temperature gauge showing you? With a wet sump 377", on a heavy track we were getting 300* readings in 5 laps...Went to a 2 quart remote filter and a Seatrab cooler we got from Perfconn and never saw oil temps over 245* again! Usually ran 230-240* after that...

I hav'nt put the crate motor in yet.Wondering if they use a oil cooler to.Thanks Rick

Your oil temp gauge will show you it one is needed!

Quote Originally Posted by sj valley dave View Post
    Your oil temp gauge will show you it one is needed!
    I don't want to wait till half way through a race to find out I need one!!!Just wanting to know if the crate guys are running one.

Just watch your gauge during your heat race...If it gets to 260 and stays there, you're probably OK, if it keeps creeping up...ugh Just get a cooler and be done with it...

to kinda piggy back on this, how much potential does a remote oil filter have to drop your oil temp?

with the extra oil capacity, say 1 to 1.5 qts or so, it should drop some right? or does one have to put on some kinda cooler as well to see any noticeable drops?

would some kinda inline cooler for transmission oil work?

something like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AA...n/?prefilter=1

EDIT: the only reason im looking at this is because our rules only allow for one radiator for the purpose of cooling water only.
    Last edited by rubbinsracin; 04-12-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Hey Rubbin, is this a Chico/Placerville deal?? We added a 2 qt remote filter at the same time as the cooler so hard to say...Obviously adding another quart in the system should help some...How much, don't know...

No its a NASCAR crate rule.

Wow...I thought you were Nor Cal...Where do you guys race at?

so SJ, after you got the whole thing setup, what type of oil temps are you seeing now?

Since then we have gone to a 5 stage dry sump on an all aluminum SB2.2 engine...We are still using the same remote filter and cooler set up with the #12 lines...With the wet sump 377, after we changed over to the 2 qt filter and cooler, the oil temp went from 300*+ pegging the gauge to normally 240*...250-260 on an extremely hooked up heavy track..

brad hibbard. whats your thoughts on this. kinda surprised you have replied to this topic.

Years ago we did not give much consideration to oil coolers ----we wouldn't talk you into it or out of it----But then Bill Hendren enlightened me on the importance of an oil cooler and also the importance of an oil cooler installed properly.

We now highly recommend a cooler and spend the efforts of explanation on how to do it correctly and not so much why you should have one.

If you are unable to run a cooler because of rules or funds we do have a suggetion that helps the stock system.

CV products makes an oil fiter adapter that uses a cummins oil filter with very large oil ports------it eliminates much of the restriction at the filter ultimately lowering oil temp.

When installing a cooler be very sure of its history------you CANNOT clean an oil cooler
    make sure it is designed for your application
    -10 full flow lines and fittings minimum.......-12 is better
    NO weatherhead (Brass) JIC fittings----use only full flow AN fittings
    all adapters need to be high flow design (CV products is best)
    correct oil level------too much is just as bad as too little

Brad

how do u determine the correct amount of oil ?

Default Oil level

this is copied from our website under FAQ
    www.race-1.com

1. Proper Oil Level for GM 604/602

With the use of more expensive and exotic oils some racers have a false sense of security and do not check oil on a regular basis. This is a dangerous practice and it is stongly recommended to put the following procedure into your weekly maintenance schedule or pre-race prep.

1) Using the oil level inspection plug located on the left side of the 604 oil pan —make sure you can see that oil is near the hole.

2) Reasonably level the engine front to rear and side to side

3) Warm the engine to operating temperature

4) With the engine level, warmed up, and running at idle remove the oil level inspection plug and measure oil level.

We recommend the level to be 3/8 to 5/8 of an inch below the female threads of the inspection hole.

**SPECIAL NOTES**
    ■On tracks with extremely long straight-aways 1 additional quart may be needed to maintain a safe level.
    ■Over filling under normal conditions will overheat the oil and cut power significantly
    ■Engines with oil coolers MUST be checked running

The humid air is a southern racers enemy. It is smart to run an oil cooler all the time. I would say yes to FF21 , put that oil cooler on and follow the wisdom of Brad and you are golden. I'm putting one on mine. Rick
    When it's time to go, I'll go! Until then I got nothing to lose! -Roy Hall

Per my current engine builder of my NeSmith Legal Crates and my former builder of open engines Oil Temp should be approximately 10 degrees warmer than coolant temp. And yes I do run a cooler and always will.