Default MSD SOFT TOUCH REV CONTROL 8728 HEI Can it be bypassed?

MSD SOFT TOUCH REV CONTROL 8728 HEI Can it be bypassed?
    We have been told many diff ideas about how to get around the box and chip....whats the best anyone out there knows about? If you wish to share your ideas and stories of how to beat the chip!

CrateRacer

You don't need to eliminate the Rev limiter just tighten up the spec's which we can do if interested. See below.....

Pat Collins

704-995-4286
    techwest@techwestracing.com

We can make adjusts to the Rev Limiter circuit so it will operate at the very top end of the allowed One percent margin rpm limit of the Rev Chip mandated by many sanctioning bodies. If your driver likes to lean on the Rev limiter during the race, it will allow them to get back an avg. of 200 more useable rpm. It also rises the starting point of when the Rev Limiter circuit starts to kick in; most racers don’t realize that the Rev Limiter circuit starts in 175 rpm lower than the RPM marked on the Rev chip. Another issue not commonly known, most current chips are running at least 109 rpm lower than the number marked on the Rev chip. So as a racer your giving up a lot of top end usable engine rpm during a race due to tolerances being to loose. The cost is $100 with a 8728 box supplied by the racer.

our rules state that it has to be an "unopened box" for reasons unknown to me because im to dumb to cheat lol. which the tech guys check from week to week for the guys finishing up front. not that its us but we park right next to the tech area so we kinda see what they check. last year they started putting the chip in as we lined up for the heat and put a piece of tape over it to "seal" it for the night and you had to return it after the feature. they have a bag of 6200 chips and put them in a hat and its your luck of the draw on the chip you get. so needless to say everyone is looking for a way to "get into the box" without actually opening it up.

does your process of narrowing the tolerance actually open the box?

Does the rules state you can only run one ignition box? Run two!!

Depending on your applicaiton and where you can hide things, make a hidden compartment, you could just buy another box and wire your ignition into a 3 way switch. Let them put the chip in the one box to test and then just switch over to the other box when you start up to pull onto the track.

rubbinsracin

Yes, you have to open the box to get access to the circuit board. This process and items I replace are parts I would normally need to access during a repair of the Rev Limiter. I have a question what if you have your MSD 6al die do they make buy a new one since to repair it the cover has to be removed to work on it? I understand the track wanting to control things but that would really add alot of expence to the guy trying to race. Thanks for the great question.

ep33510

704-995-4286

if our box dies we can swap a new or used "unopened" box. then they put a 3000chip in it and test it at the track to make sure it works like it should with an timing light that shows rpms on the back of it. so if for some reason we were to have a box die and the box needs to be "opened" to be repaired we usually just sell it to someone in another class that wants an msd box cheap because no other classes have to run a chip other than a sportmod and they have the same rules as us. so we usually sell them to an Amod or Stockcar for whatever it cost us to fix it plus a few bucks.
    Last edited by rubbinsracin; 05-09-2011 at 01:34 PM.

rubbinsracin

Thanks for the info.

ep33510

To answer all the PM's, Yes the Blueprinting can be done for the MSD 8738 Rev limiter as well as any of the MSD's 6al,6aln,7al2. Thanks for the great questions!

Pat Collins

TechWest Racing Services
    704-995-4286
    www.techwestracing.com

Default cheat the msd rev limiter chip

Quote Originally Posted by CrateRacer View Post
    MSD SOFT TOUCH REV CONTROL 8728 HEI Can it be bypassed?
    We have been told many diff ideas about how to get around the box and chip....whats the best anyone out there knows about? If you wish to share your ideas and stories of how to beat the chip!
    I can cheat the rev limiter in a 6al or a 8728. inside box alteration for $100.00 this can be seen inside box if opened up for inspection. non detectable modifications for $600.00 includes a new msd8728 box. key fob remote switches available also, can be controlled from pits by crew member. Remote control is another $100.00 remember technology like this cost money

do a search on ebay, there out there.
    2007 IMCA SUPERNATIONALS CHAMPION

Default nothing like mine

not like the one i have for sale$600.00 undetectable

Default I would bet on msd not finding this one

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Your not going to add blue tooth tech without adding something that isnt factory inside the box..

Undetecatable is a reach.
    nothing to see that doesn't look like a diode that msd installed. Take out the orginal diode repaint new one to make it look like one that was removed reinstall into msd.

Default 8728

i no a guy that just takes the power cord form his box and hooks it in with the power to his tach and other lights so he can just shut it off.

Or you could just run LEGAL and try to out drive them, but, then it would be called racing....

Quote Originally Posted by dirttrackrocker View Post
    Or you could just run LEGAL and try to out drive them, but, then it would be called racing....
    Who does that any more. LOL

I recommend Pat at Tech West. Worked a couple of boxes for me and got me the 200 RPM we have been loosing. If anyone can tell the box has been opened then they are much better than me. I have a new one and 2 of his and I can't tell the difference other than performance