Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

This may be over simplified, but I think I would be lookin' for an older set of them "N" heads. Seems to me that the "new" N head has probably been redesigned and therefore, "screwed-up". Sounds like the newer heads don't produce the usable torque that the old ones were capable of. Also I think that ANY cylinder head that wont let you put more than 31* of timing in there, is a piece of crap anyhow.
    JMO and only that.
    Old enuf to know better, still too young to givadamm.

Quote Originally Posted by 500BOMBER View Post
    This may be over simplified, but I think I would be lookin' for an older set of them "N" heads. Seems to me that the "new" N head has probably been redesigned and therefore, "screwed-up". Sounds like the newer heads don't produce the usable torque that the old ones were capable of. Also I think that ANY cylinder head that wont let you put more than 31* of timing in there, is a piece of crap anyhow.
    JMO and only that.
    I guess everyone should throw there SB2, vortec, -12, All-pro, etc, etc heads away then. Any head with a good fast burn style chamber only needs 28-32* Any more then what they need and they loose power, DROPS LIKE A ROCK.
    Josh K.

Default Quick update

Just a quick update, After testing for vacuum and trying thicker intake gaskets (.060 doubled up to .120), I removed the intake and inspected gasket crush etc. I put everything back together with a felpro 1262R which is .090 thick, used the red sticky form-a-gasket against the head, and a thin layer of permatex #2 against the intake.
    For the carb base and spacer gaskets I used a small amount of sealant spread thin with my finger and the same with white grease against the carb base and THEN?????
    Started her up and for the FIRST TIME IN YEARS, she idled at 1200 easy. (Before it was 2000 or 1900 RPM lowest.) Very Crisp reswponse too. She wants to go I think.
    This weekend I race, will report how it goes. I'm shakin right now because I've gone slow long enough. We'll have 6 boats.
    Thanks guys, I'll report Monday how we do.
    Thanks again,
    Rod

Default Results

Well I put on the 1262 R intake gaskets .090 and used Permatex #2 against the intake and the red form-a-gasket (sticky stuff) against the head.
    first of all I was STILL a pig, no acceleration at all, and I saw oil getting on my plugs.
    Looks like .015 to .020 crush at least and it sucked air/oil right by that gasket, is this possible? OK in my first test I doubled up 2 X .060 gaskets with beads on the outsides with copper sealant on both sides and it increased my vacuum from 10 to 13 at 2000 RPM. Well I just had to take that all apart as I wanted to inspect and see the crush ect. I decided to put on the 1262R gasket thats .090 thick and no factory beads for the race, the vacuum went back to 10, but it finally idled down to 1200 for the first time so I thought I had it licked. I think I was an idiot for fooling myself that it was good due to idle, but ignored the fact it went back to 10 on vacuum. Taking it apart, the red form-a-gasket did NOT stick at all to the shiny side of the gasket, and I have it right here with me at work with alll that crush, but oil on the bottom side of the ports, on the gasket and on the head as though it was flowing right by the crushed gasket etc. What the H? .015 to .020 crush and STILL air/oil gets sucked by the gasket? Even at 2000 RPM? Well the good news is I can see this and I plan to get .060 gaskets with the beads, (Felpro or SCE) and glue them back to back, (for .120) "beads out" of course, and put them back on with that "Copper sealant" that someone here recomended, (Thank you) when that vacuum read 13, I should have LEFT IT ON and gone racing.
    Anyway I think I drove pretty good, out of 7 boats I was about the 4th fastest and got a 2nd overall for the weekend. In 2 weeks I"ll race in a bigger class at Seafair with the unlimited boats. I don't ace with unlimiteds of course, I'll race against big blocks, and for the first time in 2.5 years I plan to be very vast after putting back in .120 gaskets.
    Thanks all, I think we found the issue, but still amazed I’m looking at good crush and air/oil went right by at 2000 RPM. WOW. I hope this helps some with power loss issues that can’t seem to be found. Its taken 2.5 years, but lets see August 5th. I will report again, hopefully after being fast.
    Thanks for all the help, and any recomendations on sealants besides the copper stuff is welcome. THANKS!!!
    Rod rodb63@yahoo.com for pictures

I have had very good luck with the Mopar gasket sealer, it's in an aerosal can, get at local dodge/chrysler dealer. Very sticky stuff once it tacks up.
    Josh K.

You're right fastcrew, I guess I will have to toss our SB2.2 heads as they make the most HP at 30.5* advance!! LOL Like Bill H once said, a well designed head does not need a lot of spark advance because the mix burns quickly, a lot of advance is a band aid for a poor/old designed cylinder head chamber...I guess 500bomber needs to stick with his "double humps"

Now Dave, Dontchu bea dissin on my old hubble dumpers, day ben good to me!
    Old enuf to know better, still too young to givadamm.

yeah "double humps" arent that bad! we run them on our LM 11-1 motor and they make good power. not great. but good enough to compete/beat the crates and other 11/1 motors we run against. ours runs the best at about 33* or so depending on the carb we have on it.

Well how did it run yesterday?
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

you might try removing all gaskets and sitting the intake down on the block and sliding against each head and making sure the intake does not have a different angle on it compared to the head.. i seen one once that someone cut wrong and it was .040 out from top to bottom of the gasket surface...