Default Alternator verse no alternator??

Has anyone dynod a 355 chevy, around 9.5 to 1 with a cast iron 2 barrel intake and a rochester carb?? Also wondering if you have tested with an alternator and without on a HEI. I know they say it doesnt make a diff with the msd, and i have always ran an alternator, but with my new pulley system, i dont have alot of room to move alternator back. .Any input ?? Thanks for any info guys.

we have never ran an alternator on any of our dirt cars and have never needed one. we have always found that its best to just spend a little bit on a good red or yellow top optima and mount a set of charger quick connects on the decking.

i mean the WOO or Lucas guys dont need them on their cars that run 50 lap features why would we need them on our local cars the run 50 laps a night. after a weeks racing we will stick it on the charger sunday morning after we wash it with a low amp charge and havent had any problems.

i took the red top thats in our LM now out of my bomber. so ive got about 4 years on this thing now and it runs just fine.

Thanks for the info. I know you can run all nite without an alternator, but i am being told that an hei needs 14 volts to run optimum, and if you only run 11 or so, that you are giving up to 20 hp. Sounds like alot , so was just wondering if anyone has tried it.

no dyno number but i just talked to a buddy who runs a 604 with the HEI setup that came with the crate and he said over the course of the race you wont loose enough battery power to worry about the HEI not performing unless the battery is bad, especially on a 9ish-1 motor. you dont need a ton of spark anyways. he said if youre worried it that much that maybe go to a hotter plug.

Thanks for the info. I am just gonna run it without one and not worry about it.