Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think your understanding is correct. only thing i will say in addition is that the spring behind on a heavy/rough track is about impossible to drive. JMO

We learn by trying so give it a try but i wouldnt spend too much time on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 28m View Post
    Weird, I thought he was asking how to get more roll?

So let’s say you put the spring behind and your LF is "in the clouds", I would add pre-load to your pull bar, stiffen the spring or switch to a biscuit bar. Since your spring will drop on the RR, you might stiffen the RR spring a bit. This will keep the front down, add spring pressure to the RR adding side bite. The stiffer RR will add drive to that wheel as well. This is good because you will be adding drive to the LR by that spring dropping on the RR.

Another question has to be the type of track you run on. Heavy, slick, banked, flat?

Default 4 bar 2 bar

This weekend I went with moving the LR shock behind moved the pull bar over (left) 1 inch(it was right of center 1 inch).

I race on a VERY small bull ring(VENTURA RACEWAY) with very little banking on the bottom. (which is the prefered line) I couldn't keep it down on the bottom and still had the same bite off the corner.

Next I'm going to go from 30lbs of bite to 70lbs. Any Ideas??????

Did you move the lr shock behind or the rr shock behind? Have you tried to reduce the rake in the jbar?

I moved the RR shock to the rear and moved the pull bar to the left 1 inch for this weekends race and the car was tighter in and had little drive off. I still had 30 lbs of bite in it.......I am going to put 70 lbs of bite in it for the next race.

****Question is will the change give it more drive off or just make it even tighter?

Quote Originally Posted by romeropolo View Post
    I moved the RR shock to the rear and moved the pull bar to the left 1 inch for this weekends race and the car was tighter in and had little drive off. I still had 30 lbs of bite in it.......I am going to put 70 lbs of bite in it for the next race.

****Question is will the change give it more drive off or just make it even tighter?
    is the spring on the shock or is the shock separate from the spring, and the spring is on top of the axle housing?

how much lead do you have on the car and where?

On my car when i up the bite it is looser in and more drive off.

Both changes you made would make the car tighter, one on entry, other one on the gas. Increasing lr bite should loosen entry some and tighten the car off. How close are you to bottom out rf shock? Are you trying to loosen the car up some? IMO, look at the jbar rake, I recommended 5in of rake and the dw8 guy recommended 4.5in of rake. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by xxx8x View Post
    On a 2 link lr spring in front rr on top. whats the best shock in front or behind on rr.OR IS IT DRIVER PREF.
    depends on if you have a split valve shock or not. if its a straight 5-5 or 4-4, it wont matter as much because the axle sees the same resistance in and out. on a split valve its going to make a difference.

i ran a 4-3 on my rr, spring on top with lr spring in front, shock behind. car was a little tight in. i took the rr and moved it to the front, freed me up just enough and felt much more comfortable to me so i left it there.

theory is as the axle wraps forward on decel, it momentarily sees an increase in weight on that wheel as the shock is on the compression side, thus planting the rr a little more than the left (if shock is behind). does the reverse if you put it in front. its not a huge swing one way or the other, just a fine tuning tool.

Quote Originally Posted by charcoal01 View Post
    is the spring on the shock or is the shock separate from the spring, and the spring is on top of the axle housing?

how much lead do you have on the car and where?
    On the RR....225 spring on top, 95 pro shock behind axle, 1/4 inch lead in RR. 7 inches of Rake in the J bar.

Two things I want to change is the bite and the rake. But I will make the bite change first from 30lbs to 70 lbs on the LR....if that dont give me the forward bite I want I will make the J bar change.

Quote Originally Posted by charcoal01 View Post
    theory is as the axle wraps forward on decel, it momentarily sees an increase in weight on that wheel as the shock is on the compression side, thus planting the rr a little more than the left (if shock is behind). does the reverse if you put it in front. its not a huge swing one way or the other, just a fine tuning tool.
    I agree with the last statement here..."Its not a huge swing" If you’re so tight getting in that you can’t keep the car on the bottom and your lacking forward drive...the shock placement isn’t your answer. JMO of course

J-bar won’t help drive off necessarily. It will help your entry which will let you keep momentum and ultimately make you faster... that is a lot of rake to me and is probably why the tight entry.

Too both loosen the car getting in and tighten coming off, increase your LR spring rate and decrees your RR spring rate. This will be a much more effective adjustment than shock placement but not as drastic as moving your RR spring to the back of the housing like I suggested earlier. I guess it depends on how close you are. .1 second off…move the shock .5 second off…change springs 1 second off…move the spring.

I agree with you adding more LR bite. Pretty sure your headed the right direction with that.
    Last edited by 28m; 06-01-2011 at 07:00 PM.

I also agree on the right rear spring being to heavy.I ran 225lr and 175 rr. Changed to 250lr. kept 175rr and the car got way better bite off. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by romeropolo View Post
    This weekend I went with moving the LR shock behind moved the pull bar over (left) 1 inch(it was right of center 1 inch).

I race on a VERY small bull ring(VENTURA RACEWAY) with very little banking on the bottom. (which is the prefered line) I couldn't keep it down on the bottom and still had the same bite off the corner.

Next I'm going to go from 30lbs of bite to 70lbs. Any Ideas??????
    Why couldnt you keep the car on the bottom was it pushing or was it sliding the back up the track?

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    Why couldnt you keep the car on the bottom was it pushing or was it sliding the back up the track?
    The car sliding up the track. It was not pushing...

LOL, great question Powerslide...I just assumed it was pushing.

In that case, you are loose getting in or no side bite...work on that J-bar.

I would get the large split out of the jbar drop it on the frame then go from there 5in split instead of 7.
    you never confirmed 9in or q/c so i am basing this off 9in. if its q/c you need to move the pinion end to reduce split.

How much trail you run?

Sounds like if he fixes entry/middle he will find alot more speed coming off.

tried a wheel spacer on lr or rf?

Hey powerslide, for my own knowledge what does using a spacer on the lr or rf do? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    I would get the large split out of the jbar drop it on the frame then go from there 5in split instead of 7.
    you never confirmed 9in or q/c so i am basing this off 9in. if its q/c you need to move the pinion end to reduce split.

How much trail you run?

Sounds like if he fixes entry/middle he will find alot more speed coming off.

tried a wheel spacer on lr or rf?
    I Just ran the heat with 80 lbs of bit and I am good to go now.....