Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Terrible push getting in

Heres what I have. I have an older 2002-2003 GRT Metric 4 bar LR swingarm RR

Springs

LF 700 RF 750

LR 200 RR 275 0n the swing arm

Shocks

LF 5/3 RF 3/7

LR 5/3 RR 35 LR Spring behind shock in front RR spring and shock on Swing arm

51.1% Left
    57% Rear
    40 lbs bite in LR

J bar even with pinion and 7" rake

Leading LR by 1/4

LR top bar 23% Bottom Bar 10%

The car has a terrible push getting in the corner. The only way I can turn it is to let off the gas and stab the throttle, if I touch the brakes it wont turn at all. I turned the right front off (even though were not allowed to) to try to cure this and it helped a little but not much.

Any suggestions on how to loosen it up getting in??

Where is you jbar on the pinion?

Even with pinion..

Have you tried lowering the rake in jbar or up above pinion, I'm guessing its a 9in rear end? What about raising the rr bar on frame? I just saw in your 1st post you said even with pinion, sorry.

Haven't tried that. What will that do?? Sorry, I'm new to these cars.

Generally speaking when a car doesn't turn in, lower RR bar for more rear steer (will loosen off as well), add rear stagger, soften LF spring, stiffen RF spring.

It sounds like you've got too much drive, which comes from rear % and bar settings. So you can lower rear % if possible, or if you want to keep it then soften up that LF spring and add stagger/lower RR bar.

Being a 4 bar LR though, you may have your 4 bar settings off which is creating too much drive, and I can't help with the 4 bar adjustments.
    Last edited by dualdj1; 05-23-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Well, not sure how it could be too much drive. I'm talking about totally off the gas and on the brake. I've got it dialed all the way to the rear (brakes). My buddy says it doesn't look like the car is transfering weight to right front.

What r your wheels weights?

LF 539 RF 519

LR 709 RR 660

Im at work now the rears I know are true, I'm pretty close on the fronts.

Try lowering the jbar on the frame an inch and see how you like it, it will lower your roll center. Sometimes you can get too much rake and not let the car work properly, you have to find what rake works best for your car/driver/track.

Thanks I will try that..

Yeah drive was not the right term i was looking for, but the adjustments I listed should still be correct for your condition. RR bar, stagger, LF spring. Jbar rake as mentioned will help too.

how did you decide on your front spring rates? Did they just come with the car that way?

GRT setup sheet:
    LF 550 RF 600
    LR 225 RR 225

also for your reference:
    http://www.teamgrt.com/GRT_RACE_CARS...MENT_GUIDE.pdf
    Last edited by dualdj1; 05-23-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Thats what was in it when I bought it. The spring rates you have are for a Chevelle clip. I have a metric clip. Just found a set up sheet for older metric cars and it says springs should be 750 LF and 850 RF. I think I'll try that.

cool deal, that's all i could find but was guessing it wasn't correct. their setup adjustment sheet will still hold true with your changes though, so know as you go stiffer RF you'll tighten exit as well. LF will only effect entry. So if you're happy with the way it's coming out of the corner, I'd just soften the LF, OR adjustyour j-bar.

cool, thanks...

seems like too much RR sping. Try running the rear springs at equal rates (or within 20 lbs) and put 50/50 shocks on the LF and RR corners. That will loosen you up going in and might give you more drive coming out.

Thats kinda what Im doing. the 275 on the RR comes out to 190 on the swingarm. I have had guys tell me not to go by that and just go with what I would put on if it was on the Bird cage. I dropped to a 200 on the RR and I'm going to drop the J bar on the frame side and see what that does. If that doesn't work I might go up to an 800 on the RF

Are your lower A-arms metric or nova? Mr. Adams(Lighning chassis) in another thread explained the motion ratio and how it works, you might be right, need heavier front springs. I think he recommend 900lf and 1050 rf. Let us know how things go and best of luck.

left side weight seems low
    Chris Zogg

Thats because I weigh 270... They said for someone 250 + you should be between 51 and 51.5