Thread: Roller Cam

Default Roller Cam

I have a solid flat tappet cam in the head now. What do I need to change it over to a Solid roller cam?

If you go with a cam .600 or under you should only need to change the cam and followers,if you go over .600 you may need to change springs,retainers,valves,recut seal bosses.Just depends on how much work was done to head already and what parts are in it now.

We bought this engine complete with only two races on it. It is a 2550 ford with a esslinger e2252 (518 lift 277 dur.@ .050 109 centerline 4600-8300 rpm solid lifter) he said he bought the cam kit for the oversized valves. We would like to try the esslinger E2232-5 (620 lift 269 dur.@ .050 111.5 centerline 5100-8200 rpm solid lifter roller) we were just wandering if we could slide it in without tearing the engine apart and what all we would need (things like lash caps ect.)

It is a must that the cam towers are strapped or they will break . Hope this helps toml

Unless you have an extremely well ported head or an essy aluminum head I would try the roller stuff. You might actually lose hp and torque if you do.

You are going to need the head off. The difference between those two bump sticks is night and day. Here is what you'll need:

1. The long ball studs.......*you more than likely have short ones*
    2. Valve springs,retainers, keepers. Your cam is using stock diameter springs
    3. Profiled lash caps for your valves. You have stock base circle cam/roller is 1" basecircle and requires lash caps or longer valves.
    4. Set of roller followers.
    5. The spring seat cutter for the springs. You can cut them yourself if you pay the $ for the cutter they sell for there roller springs.
    6. A set of valve seals. This cutter profiles guide for posi/stop style seal.
    7. Dial indicator with attachments to measure valve lift
    ***this is the most important one!!!!
    "Someone who knows how to setup these heads"

Without knowing how far the head is milled/What size combustion chamber is? You will never know what cam you need or what you may need to do to make the engine run the way you would like........How much material can you see below the lowest intake bolt? I assume a good bit too much.

Just post back if you need help.....someone here can help you.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

let-r-eat Thank You That was the info I was looking for ! He won Friday night with what we have. We will just leave this head alone and build or buy a new head. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Wrencherer; 06-05-2011 at 09:53 AM.