Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default what your cooling tip?

Well the real heat of summer is almost here. Whats that one tip you could give to someone to help keep their motor cool during these long summer nights....

what does everyone use and what would be your one tip to help keep a car cool?

No one tip I have ever found...Just a well thought out system from one end to another...3 rows of tape on a 105* day and it runs 200* on gas...

Tip #1 Goto Stewarts Components and read their tips and frequently asked questions and live by them.
    Tip #2 Use a kiddie pool and use it often!!!!!
    Pull the radiator from the car and put it tubes up in the pool. Put a few drops of Dawn dish soap in the pool and fill it with water to cover the radiator. Leave it set over night and gently lift and lower the radiator a few times and leave it alone again. If the water gets to dirty change it. Rinse the radiator from rear to the front with a water hose until clean!!!! You will be amazed how much dirt will be in there!!!
    (I know you said one but both are important)

I strongly agree on washing your radiator after every night.

I use a long rech, flex head water sprayer (the kind you use to water flowers and plants). I wash mine with hot water from the inside out, Top to bottom. The fine dirt just rolls out of the fins. On a 19x31 radiator I would guess I spend 4-5 minutes just washing the radiator clean. Eric

Quote Originally Posted by SRXSRULE View Post
    I strongly agree on washing your radiator after every night.

I use a long rech, flex head water sprayer (the kind you use to water flowers and plants). I wash mine with hot water from the inside out, Top to bottom. The fine dirt just rolls out of the fins. On a 19x31 radiator I would guess I spend 4-5 minutes just washing the radiator clean. Eric
    Wash it out once and then take it out and try the pool method and see what else comes out. We washed ours weekly and it still had tons of dirt in it!

I haven't tried the pool method but I do take it out and wash it after every race. Some shrouds in front of the radiator have helped me. Funneling air into the radiator. They use to go straight out to the nose, now I have them angled out to the sides. So it grabs more air. So far so good.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

GM 4 blade diesel fan. I've known many that believe a 6 blade sucks more air than a 4 blade.

Double pass radiator
    1:1 pulleys
    Good fan shroud
    NO restrictors/thermostat
    Tight belts
    Speedway adjustable water pump
    Gates flex hoses(Dayco hoses are junk)
    500hp, 23*, all steel engine turning 8,000 rpm
    100* south GA nite, engine runs 180*

Default Heating

We have a 3 gallon water tank mounted under the driver with a 3/8 fuel line run to it and its run all the was to the radiator and it hooked to a piece of pvc pipe with holes drilled into it and a electric fuel pump. When im under caution my car tried to run alittle warm and i could flip a swith and it pump water straight to my radiator. Cooled in down just fine lol

Quote Originally Posted by Racer #42 View Post
    We have a 3 gallon water tank mounted under the driver with a 3/8 fuel line run to it and its run all the was to the radiator and it hooked to a piece of pvc pipe with holes drilled into it and a electric fuel pump. When im under caution my car tried to run alittle warm and i could flip a swith and it pump water straight to my radiator. Cooled in down just fine lol
    If the track gets dusty after that you will be done because the radiator plug right up.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    If the track gets dusty after that you will be done because the radiator plug right up.
    Thats illegal around me but when I took my pavement car to a dirt track on the Canada border in Washington state they all had those set ups.

I blew my real race motor so I put the 355 out of my 79 chevy with a rv cam in my car and borrowed a truck to tow up there. Qualified 2nd fast was in 2nd going back and forth for the lead and a lap car ran into me and broke a ball joint. All with a hydraulic cam flat top oem rebuilt motor with a 650 dp on top!!

Tip #1 Goto Stewarts Components and read their tips and frequently asked questions and live by them.
    Tip #2 Use a kiddie pool and use it often!!!!!
    Pull the radiator from the car and put it tubes up in the pool. Put a few drops of Dawn dish soap in the pool and fill it with water to cover the radiator. Leave it set over night and gently lift and lower the radiator a few times and leave it alone again. If the water gets to dirty change it. Rinse the radiator from rear to the front with a water hose until clean!!!! You will be amazed how much dirt will be in there!!!
    (I know you said one but both are important)
    Funny how often people keep askin about cooling problems, & how often You,I,others keep posting the same thing over & over. Followed Sterwarts suggetions over 3yr ago & I have not seen over 190-200 in dead July-Aug with NO hole's in nose !!
    Central IL Bert Transmission Rebuilder
    Brian (217)201-3640

Wash it out once and then take it out and try the pool method and see what else comes out. We washed ours weekly and it still had tons of dirt in it!
    After following Sterwarts set up, we now have a full nose (no holes). I clean radiator every winter & thats it. Truthfully !!
    Central IL Bert Transmission Rebuilder
    Brian (217)201-3640

The pool trick works clean mine once a month race three nights a week. Always run a big radiator and a 5/8 restriter hole in the thermosstate housing. Run some real junk motors and no holes in nose. Never come in hot.
    When you are behind, don't give up; when you are ahead, don't let up Never run out out of ideas, traction and real estate at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by cassellracing24 View Post
    Funny how often people keep askin about cooling problems, & how often You,I,others keep posting the same thing over & over. Followed Sterwarts suggetions over 3yr ago & I have not seen over 190-200 in dead July-Aug with NO hole's in nose !!
    We ran the setup just as he reccomends. A friend was over heating and was at the end of his rope and said to do waht I could, I set it up per stewarts and at practice at East Bay in July during the day with an on track air temp of 105 and the car only got to 210. At night that weekend we had to tape the grill to get it to 190. That was with the same motor and nose that ran HOT 250+ with a NEW tripple pass radiator and a lower hose restrictor. I put in a 3 year old single pass that was damaged slightly and removed the restrictor, built a basic shroud to pull air from the whole radiator and put panels in front to push air to the radiator.

Best 3 hours I ever spent, was to make like a air dam under the front bumper to the radiator. The sides went to the bumper and the top of the radiator sloped down along the bumper to the bottom. Never had anymore holes in the front bumper. Came off the track at 200. Stock water pump.

has anyone ever used one of the SBC cooling units to help get cooler water to the heads?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-...Unit,1856.html

go to washromm and take bath

I Run those extra cooling lines, but not like most do. I see many cars going from back on intake, up then forward then down into front of intake. I run them into a T into the water neck, so they never go back down. I don't like leaving an unventable high point.

Hope that made since.

yeah. speedway motors sells a kit that does exactly what you said.

we had a fan bolt break 2 weeks ago and it destroy out shroud and beat up the fan pretty good. we ordered a new afco fan...17 1/2"....and when we got it we noticed just by eye ballin' it that 2 of the blades were longer than the others. one side was 17 13/16ths and the other side was 17 5/8s. because of this the fan would not clear the rack. we ended up taking it to the grinder and making them both 17 1/2. has anyone ever noticed this or is it just us that has had this problem? it was an afco fan that was brand new out of the box.