Thread: Mustang coil

Default Mustang coil

I've read a couple different posts referencing the Mustang coil over an MSD coil, and was curious why. The search feature is less than user friendly on here, and I couldn't find anything, and I couldn't dig it up on tech west's website either.

We've used a Blaster 2 for a long time, and haven't had an issue out of it, just wondering if we are giving something up here.

JCSullivan00

The Mustang coil is a faster switching unit and it is epoxy backfilled. So you can mount them upside down if you wish. They are an excellent match to the 6 series box and will get everything out of the box there is to get. The Blaster II is an oil filled unit that will heat soak easily and drop its performance during use. If your looking for an edge and the rest of the kids are running Blaster II's switch to the Mustang coil. The Carquest # is FD-478 or Autozone C-839. Usually they are priced around $35 avg. and they are common shelf spare!

Pat Collins

Techwest Racing Services

704-995-4286

this is way better than the old blaster 2 coil, same idea as the ford efi coil, i bouhgt one in 2005... it was on my race car for a couple years til the coil on my 460 tow pig (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) on me, i bouhgt a new one for the race car and put the old one on my van... both are still working great, and for the extra 10 bucks it has nicer terminals, easier mounting, and i like to assume a higher level of quality control

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...r_SS_Coil.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by bushracing67 View Post
    this is way better than the old blaster 2 coil, same idea as the ford efi coil, i bouhgt one in 2005... it was on my race car for a couple years til the coil on my 460 tow pig (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) on me, i bouhgt a new one for the race car and put the old one on my van... both are still working great, and for the extra 10 bucks it has nicer terminals, easier mounting, and i like to assume a higher level of quality control

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...r_SS_Coil.aspx
    Is the msd blaster ss EQUAL Tech west??? I do like the wire attatching methods better, mine have never fell off the oem ford coil but I taped them also to help insure that..

thanks Jeff

Default Mustang coil

The Blaster SS Yes it does have cute mounts but it's performance is just barely above a Blaster II. If you want the mounts take the money you would have spent on the Blaster SS and apply it towards the MSD 8252 ( Its not cheap but it has the mounts your looking for and the performance). The Mustang coil is a Great value for the serious Saturday night racer with price & matching up with the MSD Boxes. We have seen to many customers pickup when they switched over even from the Blaster SS coil to the Mustang coil. Yes I do agree the mounting setup could be important to some folks but others seem to like the idea of spending money saved on other racing needs these days!

Pat Collins

TechWest Racing Services

704-995-4286

Quote Originally Posted by ep33510 View Post
    The Blaster SS Yes it does have cute mounts but it's performance is just barely above a Blaster II. If you want the mounts take the money you would have spent on the Blaster SS and apply it towards the MSD 8252 ( Its not cheap but it has the mounts your looking for and the performance). The Mustang coil is a Great value for the serious Saturday night racer with price & matching up with the MSD Boxes. We have seen to many customers pickup when they switched over even from the Blaster SS coil to the Mustang coil. Yes I do agree the mounting setup could be important to some folks but others seem to like the idea of spending money saved on other racing needs these days!

Pat Collins

TechWest Racing Services

704-995-4286
    Thanks I figured the ford was better or you wouldnt have told me so years ago and then posted it recently on here repeatedly. Ill stick with my ford coils. jj

anyone know what year it's off?

88-91 5.0 will get you the right part

Default Mustang coil

The Carquest # FD 478 or Autozone # C 839

Pat Collins

TechWest Racing Services

704-995-4286

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    88-91 5.0 will get you the right part
    thanks got one. anyone care to comment on how they mounted this thing?

What I did in all 3 of my cars is weld two studs sticking up the same as the holes in the edge of the coil. I originally was drilling the coil holes out to 1/4 but it was a pain...

So now I just have a 1/8 plate that goes from the coil holes with #10 I think bolt bolting it to the coil and 2 inches away I drilled 1/4 holes to match the studs sticking up on my chassis.

Ill try and take a pic if I can get the hood pried off and dash door open today.. It got a little wrinkled up last thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    What I did in all 3 of my cars is weld two studs sticking up the same as the holes in the edge of the coil. I originally was drilling the coil holes out to 1/4 but it was a pain...

So now I just have a 1/8 plate that goes from the coil holes with #10 I think bolt bolting it to the coil and 2 inches away I drilled 1/4 holes to match the studs sticking up on my chassis.

Ill try and take a pic if I can get the hood pried off and dash door open today.. It got a little wrinkled up last thursday.

that would be awesome. i was thinking of just running 4bolts out of the firewall somewhere and putting a couple jam nuts to hold it. Are these very sensitive to vibration?

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    that would be awesome. i was thinking of just running 4bolts out of the firewall somewhere and putting a couple jam nuts to hold it. Are these very sensitive to vibration?
    I just used 2 bolts basically like your saying. I havent ever had issues with any of mine from vibration, I just support it by that outside ring, I wondered myself if it should be supported in the middle but never have done anything about it.

go to the wrecking yard and find about any 80-90s ford car and some trucks. most had a coil mount that attached to the body. i think almost all fox bodys did. use the mount bracket and get the connector for the coil with some extra wire with it. easy to splice in and will not fall off the coil. i fill the back side of the connector with silicone to seal out water and dirt. never had a problem. you could probably get the coil, bracket, and conn. for $10 or so. the factory coils are better then the aftermarket replacements.

olin

Quote Originally Posted by return to dirt View Post
    go to the wrecking yard and find about any 80-90s ford car and some trucks. most had a coil mount that attached to the body. i think almost all fox bodys did. use the mount bracket and get the connector for the coil with some extra wire with it. easy to splice in and will not fall off the coil. i fill the back side of the connector with silicone to seal out water and dirt. never had a problem. you could probably get the coil, bracket, and conn. for $10 or so. the factory coils are better then the aftermarket replacements.

olin
    Good idea on the plug, never even thought of that, I was at U pull it Friday. The plugs are kinda hard to get on and I always wonder if theyll stay so I tape over them.

Ill go get a plug for my car next time Im there. thanks.