Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I tried that same setup speedway sells on a stock cast intake a few years ago. I sent it back to them because the lines that come out of the aluminm plate run directly into the runners of the intake. So depending on what style of intake you use it may or may not work. What i ended up doing was drilling and tapping the intake by the back water passage in the back of the head and getting a therostat housing that had two hole in it for different sensors and then just get the adapters to make the fittings work. If i recall the lines were only 5/16" I.D. Im my opnion this isnt very much water moving in the head to make that much of a difference. If you can run larger lines it would be better. Most of the aftermart race aluminum intakes have much much larger fittings to run #8 line.

Quote Originally Posted by rubbinsracin View Post
    has anyone ever used one of the SBC cooling units to help get cooler water to the heads?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-...Unit,1856.html

we dont run one and personally and never have, but i have heard that some people have success with them. this last week was the hottest its been out and we ran right around 195 after the feature. it was a slick track so that is cooler than we will be if we run a heavy hammer down track, but i would only expect to see temps of around 210 on a night like that. which should be no problem at all. the guy that pits next to us runs a stock car and he pulls off the track and has 2 people waiting for him with water tanks to hose down the radiator...he said that he hits 250-60 every feature. lol thats with a molded monte nose piece that basically has the entire front of it cut out for air flow and a pretty darn good cooling system.....could be that he is running a ford motor though

Default Alcohol

I heard if you put some alcohol in your radiator it will help keep your water temp down, never done it myself, but have seen a few people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter Swampgrass View Post
    I heard if you put some alcohol in your radiator it will help keep your water temp down, never done it myself, but have seen a few people do it.
    It would be gone the first time the engine got up to temprature.

Straight water, with a little rust inhibitor, or just a couple drops of oil, going through a clean radiator has always served me well. And using a four blade fan.

Stewarts told us straight water and Prestone Rust Inhibitor for pump lube and protection. Said many NASCAR teams are using the same thing and it worked great.

Default Water Temp

Distilled Water will help also..

Quote Originally Posted by racerkrp1 View Post
    Distilled Water will help also..
    If you are running a virgin aluminum block and all new stuff it will but if you are running a cast iron block or heads there is enough impurities that will get into the water that it removes the benefits as soon as you put it in. The reason Distilled works is that it is pure and will not boil. Once you introduce anything that will suspend in the water it's boiling point is back to the same place as regular water. The only other benefit it has is you are not adding any minerals or salts to the system. If you have hard water it is the best way to go, if you have good filtered water it is as good and will save you some money.

we just run water right out of the garden hose hose. never had a problem. we do have a pretty strict regimen of cleaning the rad and flushing the entire system on a regular basis and i think that helps also.

another thing that i think is really overlooked is good hoses. when we ran hobby stocks years ago we just ran plain jane stock hoses and always had trouble with them. its worth it to invest in a good set of hoses with the wire in them to keep them from collapsing in a bad scenario.
    Last edited by rubbinsracin; 08-03-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    The reason Distilled works is that it is pure and will not boil.
    hmm..last i checked pure (distilled) water boils at 212 degrees at sea level. maybe my physics teacher in HS was wrong? lol

If you are running a virgin aluminum block and all new stuff it will but if you are running a cast iron block or heads there is enough impurities that will get into the water that it removes the benefits as soon as you put it in. The reason Distilled works is that it is pure and will not boil. Once you introduce anything that will suspend in the water it's boiling point is back to the same place as regular water. The only other benefit it has is you are not adding any minerals or salts to the system. If you have hard water it is the best way to go, if you have good filtered water it is as good and will save you some money.
    "The reason Distilled works is that it is pure and will not boil"

BEWARE... Ego is our forum dumb dumb.. it seems every forum has at least one of them...

Less impurities will help period.

Filling your radiator with distilled and the upper hose off while pouring in more distilled will rid the block of the non distilled and will lower your temps some. Less impurities equals better...

Distilled water does boil. lol..

Look up super-heating, this has been documented, it is where distilled water is heated above normal boiling temp (212F) and will not boil due the the facts that it is clean and has no impurities, When something is added, a spoon, tea bag, coffee, etc it instantly erupts as steam and boils. This has happened with microwaves and cups of water and was even shown on mythbusters. Water can also be superheated with adding pressure such as in the radiator of a racecar with a 32lb cap. The boiling point of water is 212 but it is NOT the boiling point of distilled water.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    "The reason Distilled works is that it is pure and will not boil"

BEWARE... Ego is our forum dumb dumb.. it seems every forum has at least one of them...

Less impurities will help period.

Filling your radiator with distilled and the upper hose off while pouring in more distilled will rid the block of the non distilled and will lower your temps some. Less impurities equals better...

Distilled water does boil. lol..
    Here is more proof that you are wrong.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_OXM4mr_i0
    Distilled water will not boil like tap water.
    So it looks as if you are the "dumb dumb"

dumb dumb we dont need you to keep posting links and stuff, nobody is EVER looking at them, we all know your a idiot.

The rest of us are talking about distilled water in a race motor, lol.. I realize your not since youve NEVER owned one.

fyi- distilled doesnt have impurities so if we were talking about in a sterile environment like apparently Ego is now trying to lead us down then it wont look the same as boiling water. the impurities cause the nucleation points for the bubbles which we know as boiling water. etc.

dist water wont have those but will still super heat and the instant any impurity is added it will appear to explode or vaporize.

So unless Ego has found a way to sterilize a whole race car cooling system hes just gone off on another tangent.

mythbusters tested this, lol. the super heated distilled tossed a fork out of the glass instantly from the eruption.

Im starting to think hes sitting around now looking for ways to post stupid stuff and get some of us to correct him so he can argue. He must have a big fat wife thats bossing him around all day every day.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    He must have a big fat wife thats bossing him around all day every day.
    you never know...HE might be the big fat wife.

as long as we are googling stuff check this out...

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthi...t-of-water.htm

appears that the boiling point actually increases with impuritys..not decreases like ego thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by stockcar5 View Post
    you never know...HE might be the big fat wife.

as long as we are googling stuff check this out...

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthi...t-of-water.htm

appears that the boiling point actually increases with impuritys..not decreases like ego thinks.
    Watch the video and please read what was said, I said IF you kept it clean, you wont but the video proves distilled will hold a higher temp without boiling, no debate about it. If not you are just proving you are as big of an idiot as some others on here.

So why not put salt in the water that will raise the boiling point ?

Big,fat,lol.

i think im going to fill my cooling system with liquid nitrogen. it will never get overheated then. maybe i should mix in some distilled water and salt? :

Ego you have NEVER been right while I was wrong keep trying..

I can go to 2-3 threads that are still on the main page where youve tried to show your brilliance and BEEN WRONG, lol... Thats without any searching effort. Its really easy because when you are proven WRONG you dissapear from that thread, most of them Im the last poster, lol...

ANYWAYS

Where are you racing this week? Post up some pics of your car!!

Im racing Thur, Cresco Iowa, friday fountain city wisconsin and sat either in iowa or missouri, 3 places to choose from for big special events.
    Last edited by stock car driver; 08-04-2011 at 11:04 AM.