Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Traction on dry slick

I am racing on a dry slick rubbered down track. How can I go about getting traction to pass instead of playing follow the leader? I race an imca stock car and need some help.

Its really dry slick. follow the leader dry slick

54% rear 53% cross 53% left 250#bite, 1000lf1100rf 250lr 200rr

Quote Originally Posted by checkersorwreckers View Post
    54% rear 53% cross 53% left 250#bite, 1000lf1100rf 250lr 200rr
    Swap the front springs. Lower the cross to 49 percent. (not 49.1, 49.0 percent!!!) see if you like it. As long as you run races less than about 50 laps you will be very fast this way. Over 50 laps and you should go to regular set up.

I go down in spring rate, how do I get forward traction

graff spree....49% cross,,,what is that going to do for me? I would like the rear of the car to stay under me

@ stock car driver:

I run late model tires, 3200lb car, 1000lf and 1200rf springs, and the track i run is 50/50 between rubbering up or just dry slick. Some nights its grippy and other nights were just following the next car. Would 900lf 1000rf be okay or drop more? and im around 200# of bite
    Last edited by buterbaughb1; 07-10-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: clarification
    Just playin' in the clay

does it work on all track types...high banked, flat, sweeping corners, tight corners

I have had a 1000 in my rf before and the aframe and frame would make contact

Quote Originally Posted by checkersorwreckers View Post
    graff spree....49% cross,,,what is that going to do for me? I would like the rear of the car to stay under me
    The car will be fine. It is just at the other end of the spectrum. There are two ways to do everything. This would be for shorter races. Just try it. I think you will be surprised . Whatever you do, Good luck and be safe.

What advantages and disadvantages are there when putting a stiffer lf spring on the car and a softer rf spring on it ?

Softer rt frnt will turn easer.

Wouldn't it hurt though if the left rear tire is lifting too much when entering the corner ?

thanks for sharing the knowledge stock car, its helpful.
    Just playin' in the clay

How do you keep the right front from bottoming out ? I've never ran anything that soft, but would like to try it. My car rolls over now pretty far on the right front. What shock do you have to run ? I run stock mount shocks on the right front, but heim shocks on the rear. I also have stock suspension on the front, will that make a difference ?

Dry slick. We move the RR in and push the left rear out. We have also bumped the RF tire out. Backed off on the stagger. Went down on all tire pressures. With the chassis we have now we also put 2 rounds of wedge into it. THIS works for the chassis we currently run.
    It is a metric chassis 2700# vintage. We finish in the top four weekly.

This is just an example of what could be done for dry slick. Remember, on dry slick less is more. Matting the throttle will be slower than rolling into it. 60% throttle can be faster. Move the mounting point lower on throttle pedal arm. More control that way.

More food for thought.
    Moldy

Its apples to oranges, hes running big motor and the car sits up like a 4 wheel drive. If you are on a 400 horse motor, his stuff is not gonna help. it all depends on so may factors, people get on here spouting set ups not knowing all the details. Try things for yourself, and figure out what works for your circumstances.

Not knocking Jeff, his stuff seems to work for him, but he wouldn't be able to run that where I am from. Everytime someone asks a Question, they get the same responses from the same people.

Take some of there info and incoporate 1 thing at a time and see if it helps in your situation.

How does your RF frame hit the dirt? do you not run a tire on the RF

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    it doesnt lift as much as it unloads possibly to allow the car to turn. its just what some speculate makes a soft rf spring set up turn sooo well.

i dont know where in the world these guys are getting that you need a 1000 lb rf spring.

ive got a 700 in my car and been as low as 630 for all of 2009.

How tall are your springs?

Quote Originally Posted by carowner73 View Post
    Its apples to oranges, hes running big motor and the car sits up like a 4 wheel drive. If you are on a 400 horse motor, his stuff is not gonna help. it all depends on so may factors, people get on here spouting set ups not knowing all the details. Try things for yourself, and figure out what works for your circumstances.

Not knocking Jeff, his stuff seems to work for him, but he wouldn't be able to run that where I am from. Everytime someone asks a Question, they get the same responses from the same people.

Take some of there info and incoporate 1 thing at a time and see if it helps in your situation.
    I agree, but I like to ask and see what people are running. That way I can try it and see if it works and if it does then great. I know everyone drives different and no car is the same. We can run anything that will go in a 350 block, except no roller cam and no aluminum heads. We can run Bert or Brinn transmissions, alcohol or gas, and we run Nascar pull off's on 10 inch wheels.