Default Davey Allison Remembered

As I did last year, I got on here to remind everyone that 18 years ago today we lost one of the best Cup drivers to ever climb in a car. If you remember where you were when you heard the sad news, feel free to share. We miss you, #28!

Davey was one of my favorites for sure. I watched a lot less after he and Alan Kulwicki died. Miss seeing both those guys.

Met Davey just a week or so before accident @ WVMS autograph session. Very personable fellow. I was @ work when I heard about the crash.

In my opinion, the very best NASCAR race ever was the 1992 Hooters 500. It happened to be the last race I had the privilege of watching Davey Allison run in person. Davy was and still is my favorite driver.

The Hooters 500 at Atlanta was the last NASCAR Winston Cup race of 1992, as it had been for years. It also happened to be the last race of Richard Petty’s awesome career and the first Winston Cup race for Jeff Gordon. There were numerous drivers that entered that race with a chance to win the championship that year. I believe Davey would have locked it up with a top 5. As expected, he was running in the top 5 when he and Ernie Irvan wrecked. Little did I know that day that I would end up being a big Ernie Irvan fan, rooting for him as he raced the 28 car for Yates and McReynolds in 1993 after we lost Davey.

I had a new scanner for the 1992 Hooters 500 and it was a blast listening to Davey and McReynolds as they worked their way into the top 5 and towards a championship that should have been theirs. When Davey wrecked, he informed his team he was proud of them, that they gave it their best shot and they should hold their heads high. He also informed them that he would be looking forward to a great year in 1993. I don’t believe Davey or Larry McReynolds had one negative thing to say immediately after the wreck or later in interviews.

After Davey wrecked in the 1992 Hooters 500, me and a friend, who happened to be as big an Allen Kulwicki fan as I was a Davey Allison fan, listened on the scanner as Allen had his crew chief went over and over calculations of their remaining fuel. As I recall, Kulwicki had a transmission issue and had been having trouble getting out of the pits and on restarts. He and Bill Elliot, always an Atlanta fan favorite, were running first and second before their last stops for fuel and Allen know the only way he could win the championship was to lead the most laps. Elliot went on to win the race and Kulwicki finished second in the race but won the championship because he led the most laps. Of course, we would unfortunately also lose Kulwicki in 1993.

I miss watching Allison and Kulwicki still.
    Pavement is for getting you there. Dirt is for racing.

Have several Davey Allison items on my shelves. Although I was/am a Bill Elliott fan, Davey was becoming a close second. I believe that if he was racing throughout the 90's he would have kept Gordon from winning 4 championships & 85 races.

I too lost interest in NASCAR Cup racing when Davey and Allen lost their lives. I watched Davey and Allen race in the USAC/ARCA Cup style stockers in the 100 mile races on the dirt at The Springfield Mile on the Illinois State Fairgrounds back in the 1980's. No one in the grandstands watching the race at The Mile those days knew much about Allen but Davey's Dad Bobby was there in the grandstands talking to Davey on the radio and the PA announcers pointed out the fact that Davey was Bobby's son and Bobby was in the grandstands.

In many ways the deaths of Allen and Davey was a bigger loss to NASCAR racing than Earnhardt since Davey and Allen hadn't yet fulfilled their vast driving potential and Earnhardt was well past his prime and only a year or two from being completely irrelevant.

I remember seeing Red Farmer being interviewed a short time after the helicopter accident and you could tell by his words that he didn't think Davey was going to make it.

What a terrible time for the Allison family losing Clifford and Davey within such a short period of time.

Unfortunately we'll never know the heights of success that these two guys would have attained.

Both were great drivers, and stand up guys. It was great to see Allen win a championship before he passed. Wish Davey would have been able to knock one out too. What was amazing about Allen was that the quality of the parts he used to win that championship. It reminded me of a Saturday night racer at your local dirt track. He used to fix blocks that had rods stuck through them and reuse the block. It may have just been the times but I don't remember many others that used everything until it was garbage. Except of course J.D. McDuffie.

I have the same colors on my car because of the Texaco sponsored car he had. It's not the same scheme but the same colors. RIP Davey Allison.

After Davey and Allen passed I got to liking Ernie, I guess because I liked the colors and the team and of course the brand. After Ernie got hurt and walked away I found myself watching less. We still use his colors and probably always will. Thanks for the memories.