Default Mustang Vs GM chassis

I know this has probably been discussed before, but i did a search and couldnt come up with anything, but here goes , on dirt , can a mustang or other strut style car compete with GM style chassis everything else being equal ? thanks and would like to hear what others say . i dont have enough background to answer it, and i know the mini stock section has experience with the mustang. This is a V8 class on either 1/4 mile or 3/8 mile track.

I would think it can if it gets set up right. Metric cars do not have the best geometry front or rear. The mustang is shorter, lighter and the 5.0 can run circles around the 305's in stock trim. They will not let the 5.0/4.6 mustangs run with our street stocks or pure stocks.

But if they let the GM cars start changing mounting points, spindles, uppers and make the 4 link into a 3 link etc. They could have a advantage. In a stock class the Mustang could even be a dominant car.

If you are talking about the mid 70's - early 80's Camaros it would not be competitive, they run those Camaros in the street stock and bomber classes for a reason. The advantage of a sla front suspension with a very good camber curve in stock form without even getting to all the advantages in the mixing and matching of different spindles and a-arms you can do is always better. Our strut Mustangs can be made to handle decently but a properly set up Camaro with the sla front suspension will always come out ahead.

I run a fox mustang in our Hobby class. The class is stock suspension, but motor rules are wide open with exception of no alum. heads or block. We run a 351 Windsor against mostly camaros with 400+ cubic inches. I have won 2 out of 4 races this year with this car, so yes it can be competitive!! One of the wins was at another track that allows latemodel tires and 4 bbl carbs (I run a holley 2 bbl) on 362d max ci. I am running the hoosier 500 tires.

These camaros I run against aren't "bomber" type cars either! These guys spend a LOT of money on these cars and have them built. I know of guys with $15000 rollers and $10000+ in their motors!

thanks guys , i've got a SN95 chassis i was thinking about using, i know the front LCA are a little longer making the overall track width better than the fox. i guess the only way to know is give it a shot.

Sorry, my mistake, missed the on dirt part I was referring to asphalt.