Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Scott Bloomquist battled his way to the top

Scott Bloomquist (born November 14, 1963) is a nationally touring dirt late model race car driver in the United States. Bloomquist was born in Fort Dodge, Iowa. He was inducted in the National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame in its second class in 2002.

Racing career

Bloomquist is the son of an airplane pilot for Air Cal. While stationed in California, Bloomquist's father was invited to see his coworker race a stock car. The elder Bloomquist thought he should give racing a try, so bought a race car, motor, and some old tires. He tried racing, and decided to give the race car to his son. Bloomquist's first race was at Corona Raceway in Corona, California in August 1980. He won several races and the track championship in 1982.

In 1983 he heard about a $4,000-to-win race at Chula Vista Speedway . He saw a picture of a flat-wedge shaped race car that Charlie Swartz had used to win the Dirt Track World Championship in 1982, and he decided to build a race car like it for the Chula Vista race. Bloomquist won the race, lapping the field twice in the process.(there are numerous errors in the sourced material: the track was Speedway 117, near Chula Vista, California, the race on June 25, 1983 paid $3500 to win and Bloomquist did not lap the field. He did, however, lap all but second place finisher Jim Neal having earlier set a 1 lap track record in qualifying and won his heat race.)

After the race, his father wanted to sell the car since it was worth a lot of money. The two reached an agreement where the father would gradually be paid for the car if the newly-graduated Scott Bloomquist would work at his father's new farm far across the country in Tennessee. He traded his 1957 Chevy for a truck and race hauler. After arriving in Tennessee, he tore up the car in qualifying at Newport Speedway. He worked for his father until he had enough money to repair the car. He won some races, earning just enough money to continue racing.

Next year he decided to race with a new car at Kingston Speedway, which had begun hosting a $2,500-to-win event every Saturday night. "I come rolling into the race with my dad and there sits Larry Moore," Bloomquist said. "He was the fastest guy in dirt late model racing and there he sits. And my dad says, `Well, there goes that $2,500.'" Bloomquist qualified second fastest behind Moore and started out on Moore's outside in the first row. Bloomquist said, "Moore took the lead but was holding me up, so I knocked him out of the way and won. That's $2,500. Next week, I'm on the pole, Moore's outside and I won again. Now I'm sitting here with five grand and I'm thinking that things are starting to look up."

Bloomquist used the winnings to improve his race car. He continued working at his father's farm to pay off his original race car. He began going to races with $2,000 purses that were 100 miles (160 km) from his house.

In 1988 he raced at Eldora Speedway's World 100 against three-time winner and favorite Jeff Purvis. After qualifying for the feature, which is unusual for a rookie, he started seventh. Purvis took the lead early in the race. Bloomquist slowly caught Purvis and passed him for the win. Some people consider his win a fluke, until Bloomquist took the pole position the following year and won the race again in 1990.

He raced in the Hav-A-Tampa series from 1993 to 1996, winning the national touring series in 1994 and 1995.] He led the 1996 points until he lost all of his points for bumping another car under caution. He had 60 wins in the series during that time, second place had 18 wins.

On October 5, 1993, Bloomquist was arrested and charged for possessing 2.7 grams of cocaine. "A girl I dated talked me into having someone get some cocaine for her," Bloomquist said. "She had gotten into trouble and the only way she could get out was by setting me up. And she talked me into doing something that no one else has ever been able to do." Bloomquist was found not guilty of felony sale and distribution and guilty of misdemeanor drug possession and possessing drug paraphernalia. "When they searched the house they found a short straw that had some residue of cocaine in it. The girl had left it there," Bloomquist said.] He was sentenced in November 1994 to the maximum penalty, a $5,000 fine and one year in prison. It was his first misdemeanor conviction, and he filed an appeal. His sentence was cut in half to 6 months in jail. He served his time as a work release beginning in 1997.

With problems both on and off-track, he left racing and started reading. He read about the human body and mind. After he returned to racing a changed person. He took all of his sponsors off the car and used only black and white paint. He changed from his familiar number 18 to number 0. He put the yin yang symbol in the middle of the "0" to represent the balance that he found in his life. He later raced the number "0" car with a skull and crossbones through the middle of the number.

In 2003 Scott competed full time on the Xtreme Dirt Car Series formerly Hav-A-Tampa Series and won his 5th championship for the organization. 2004 he raced in the World of Outlaws Late Model Series and won the season championship.

He was named the 2006 RPM Racing News driver of the year. That year he won The Dream ($100,000), Topless 100 ($45,000), Scorcher 100 ($20,000), Racefest ($20,000), Dixie Shootout ($15,000), and the Cedar Lake Nationals ($50,000). He also had nine wins in the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series.

Bloomquist returned to series racing and won the 2009 Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series championship. He returned to the series in 2010 defending his points championship.

Other notable race wins include the 1989,1993, & 1995 Pittsburgher 100, 1988, 1990, and 2000 World 100; 2001 Topless 100; the $100,000 Dream at Eldora Speedway in 1995, 2002, 2004, 2006, and 2008; 2005 and 2009 Knoxville Late Model Nationals, 1995; 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2008 Show- Me 100 an eight-time winner of the National 100 at East Alabama Motor Speedway - 90,93,94,97,99,01,02 & 03, athe 2007 Firecracker 100, and the 2010 Hillbilly 100. He recently scored his 500th career Late Model win at the Jackson 100 at Brownstown Speedway in Indiana on September 25th, 2010 and his 5th Dixie Shootout October 9, 2010 in Woodstock, Georgia.
    Bloomquist's 2008 race car at Cherokee Speedway

He is nicknamed the "Voodoo Child" "Dirt Trax Dominator "The Boss" or "Black Sunshine".

Dirt late model chassis builder

He is known for working on his own racecars as the chief chassis builder.[He used to race in chassis' built by major chassis manufacturers. He would then modify the chassis with tricks that he learned during his decades of racing. He decided it would be easier to build his own chassis than to modify someone else's design. He now sells "Bloomquist Chassis'" (aka. TEAM ZERO) to select racers. Bloomquist Chassis helps in their entire program. These racers include Chris Madden, Jimmy Owens, Brady Smith, Rick Eckert, Dan Schleiper, Justin Rattliff, John Mason, Jordan Bland, Kenny Compton Jr., Tyler Red(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word), Kerry Jones, Dennis Erb Jr., and Scott Creel.

Personal life

He is married to Katrina Rouse Bloomquist and has a daughter Ariel Rouse Bloomquist. His hometown is Mooresburg in Hawkins County, Tennessee.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Bloomquist

...Blackford?? is that you?

I have a feeling this thread will get some action. Bring it on, haters.

I am not a Bloomquist fan but you have to respect his accomplishments. Very nice article.

Maple Park, IL. Home of Sycamore Speedway!!

Quote Originally Posted by pierceFAN View Post
    ...Blackford?? is that you?
    No, I can't type that long without falling asleep!!!

But I can see where you could be confused
    Scott Bloomchrist... The Lord, and Ruler of DIRT!!

"Hope everybody appreciated that ass kicking"
    -Scott Bloomquist

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch4545 View Post
    I have a feeling this thread will get some action. Bring it on, haters.
    Those guys don't mean any harm. They just need to vent their anxieties... Most of the "haters" only hate him because they take what they hear, and not what they see way to serious!!!

-Scott Bloomquist

Phil

They forgot to include his other stellar drug conviction!

Scott Dean Bloomquist DOB/11-14-1963 listed his address as 250 Brooks Road, Mooresburg, TN 37811

Bloomquist was stopped at 0200 hrs. on the side of the Hwy. 18, between Clear Lake and Ventura, IA by a Cerro Gordo County Deputy Sheriff. After the initial contact the Deputy believed Bloomquist to be under the influence of an alcoholic beverage. After field sobriety tests were conducted Bloomquist was arrested for Operating While Intoxicated (OWI). During the search of his person a small plastic baggie containing a white powdery substance was found and field-tested positive for cocaine which Bloomquist was also charged with possession of cocaine.

Bloomquist was booked in the Cerro Gordo County Jail at 0330 hrs.

Sheriff Kevin Pals
    Cerro Gordo County”
    Last edited by CIRF; 07-26-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Scott Dean Bloomquist DOB/11-14-1963 listed his address as 250 Brooks Road, Mooresburg, TN 37811

Bloomquist was stopped at 0200 hrs. on the side of the Hwy. 18, between Clear Lake and Ventura, IA by a Cerro Gordo County Deputy Sheriff. After the initial contact the Deputy believed Bloomquist to be under the influence of an alcoholic beverage. After field sobriety tests were conducted Bloomquist was arrested for Operating While Intoxicated (OWI). During the search of his person a small plastic baggie containing a white powdery substance was found and field-tested positive for cocaine which Bloomquist was also charged with possession of cocaine.

Bloomquist was booked in the Cerro Gordo County Jail at 0330 hrs.

Sheriff Kevin Pals
    Cerro Gordo County”
    I guess you where an angel in a time where if you hade some $$ in your pocket you did a little BLOW!!! 70% of the US population did it or tried at at some point. He said it was somone else's BLOW!! If it wasn't his so be it, but he was in possession that's all it took for the man to charge him. If you needed this to throw at people to show your dislike for someone who has made the sport what it is today, you obviously have a problem getting your point across. He and anyone that has grown up look back at things like this, and think...what the hell was I thinking!! We don't hear about what I have done in the past, we don't have a clue to what you've been involved with, but if I , you, or anyone who is in the public eye... that's the first thing the media digs for... "the dirt"!!!! So ok you feel a need to show us your dislike for him... thats your deal ,but it only shows you haven't the ability to express yourself by bringing up what everyone has known sense it happened.

And I bet you never got behind the wheel after having a few drinks either... Who are you trying to fool??? Times have changed people change, can't you find anything new to hit us with? Come on, you're not that shallow are ya??
    Last edited by blackford; 07-26-2011 at 11:09 AM.

-Scott Bloomquist

Phil

You'd think he would have learned to leave that dang "girl" alone after the first time she played him!

Quote Originally Posted by sezwho? View Post
    You'd think he would have learned to leave that dang "girl" alone after the first time she played him!
    It's not always that easy to just set somthing like that aside,you forget... he is human too!!

Now if it was to happen again, and it has been how long now??? I would say you have a point, but you don't.

-Scott Bloomquist

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by blackford View Post
    He said it was somone else's BLOW
    Well, he got busted with it twice. When his first wife left his ass and took his FIRST daughter with him. She told them where to find it in the garage. Everyone also seems to forget that little fact. Not only is he a druggy, he is also father of the year.
    Last edited by JR_25; 07-26-2011 at 11:41 AM.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.

..i always carry someone elses "blow" on me...that way I get busted and not them....felonys are'nt so bad....ya right...who carries someone else stash? nobody! unless you just bought it and are delivering it to them...just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by JR_25 View Post
    Well, he got busted with it twice. When his first wife left his ass and took his FIRST daughter with him. She told them where to find it in the garage. Everyone also seems to forget that little fact. Not only is he a druggy, he is also father of the year.
    And on top of all this he is where?? And you are??? He seemed to have got the monkey off his back, when a lot of people never did. If he is still "a druggy" you must have more to your story... care to share it???

-Scott Bloomquist

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by pierceFAN View Post
    ..i always carry someone elses "blow" on me...that way I get busted and not them....felonys are'nt so bad....ya right...who carries someone else stash? nobody! unless you just bought it and are delivering it to them...just sayin
    Hey if your gonna mess with the stuff, you obviously aren't thinking to clearly. I bet the lesson he and others have learned from this has been what has saved them, to bad not everyone has the strength to overcome their crutches, and go on to be very successful.

-Scott Bloomquist

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by JR_25 View Post
    That is something that struck me kind of odd also. When everyone started reporting "Scott and his wife welcomed Scott's first child into the world". . . . I remember he had a wife and daughter when he was going to do the "Busch" deal with Bill Elliott, then he got caught with the "white stuff", and everything kind of went by the wayside. There were reports that his then wife turned him in when she moved out with the daughter and returned to PA. Haven't heard anything about it, and I guess the daughter was disowned.
    Billy Moyer from 23rd to 1st at 2010 World 100 -- $25
    Billy Moyer PASSING "Captain Zero" on the inside -- $20

Standing Inside Of Turn Two Against The Concrete Wall Hearing Moyer's Engine Scream By Every Lap, Feeling The Ground Rumble Under Your Feet ........

"PRICELESS"

What is the full, true story behind Bloomquist and his Busch deal with Bill Elliot?

"Father of the Year"!

That's pretty good. Wonder how one would rationalize that whole deal without looking a bit silly!

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thexfactor0210 View Post
    What is the full, true story behind Bloomquist and his Busch deal with Bill Elliot?
    He was set up to run with Bill Elliot and when he got into legal trouble, by the time it was all said and done Bill didn't want that type of person driving his cars.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.

Quote Originally Posted by zenofski View Post
    That is something that struck me kind of odd also. When everyone started reporting "Scott and his wife welcomed Scott's first child into the world". . . . I remember he had a wife and daughter when he was going to do the "Busch" deal with Bill Elliott, then he got caught with the "white stuff", and everything kind of went by the wayside. There were reports that his then wife turned him in when she moved out with the daughter and returned to PA. Haven't heard anything about it, and I guess the daughter was disowned.
    Yeah, how about that? All of these "diehard" fans that think they know everything about the man, know less than the haters. Just goes to show you, they base their opinions on ignorance and Budweiser.

Can't you just hear the gnashing of the teeth?!

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!!!