Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default E85 holley carb help wont idel

i have a holley C&S 800cfm billet aerosol carb on my super stock car. It runs on E-85 it will not idel it dies when i let off the trottle runs good wide open and above idel. i have removable air bleeds do i need bigger idel air bleeds ? i put smaller one in. Iwas down to a .023 and then the carb would not adjust i have .036 in it now and it will adjust but wont idel just dies when u try to let it idel. i have 7 to 8 pounds of fuel pressure and my o2 is around 9 at idel and 8 1/2 at wide open

Was it made for E85 or is it a gas or alcohol carb?
    Last edited by Egoracing; 07-29-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    Was it made for E85 or is it a gas or alcohol carb?
    it was a alcohol carb i had it modifide of e-85 he changed the mettering blocks and did some work on it it ran fine till we started getting up to 98degrees here and high humidity

Quote Originally Posted by oldnelly87 View Post
    it was a alcohol carb i had it modifide of e-85 he changed the mettering blocks and did some work on it it ran fine till we started getting up to 98degrees here and high humidity
    Everyone that I have talked to about them said that a converted carb will not be as good as straight built carb weither from gas to alcohol, alcohol to gas or a gas or alcohol to E85 they would have issues. I would look to make sure something does not have corossion built up in it and then start to look at the fuel pump getting to hot or any other temprature induced issues. Are you testing the fuel? In hot and cold temps they change E85 all over the board to keep it running and you have to adjust the carb for the changes.

Everyone that I have talked to about them said that a converted carb will not be as good as straight built carb weither from gas to alcohol, alcohol to gas or a gas or alcohol to E85 they would have issues. I would look to make sure something does not have corossion built up in it and then start to look at the fuel pump getting to hot or any other temprature induced issues. Are you testing the fuel? In hot and cold temps they change E85 all over the board to keep it running and you have to adjust the carb for the changes.
    Any carb would be a carb Converted for e 85 that makes no sense at all.

There are lots of variable and things that can go wrong with that fuel. I would call your carb guy and ask for his help. Ive got a friend on the fuel and he uses my carb guy and they worked out all his issues to get him going etc.

let me know if you want to get ahold of my carb guy Ill give you his number.

issues that my buddy had were foam in cell, not enough fuel flow thru the regulator so fuel was trying to vapor lock etc.

its a really finicky fuel. he also mixes his own with race fuel and straight ethanol he says pump stuff tested only e 72 and e78 the two times hes checked it.

jj

Carbs built for alcohol are cast and designed to use about 2.2 times the amount of liquid as a gas carb converting one to E 85 or gas will lead to making conessions that will not allow top performance, likewise trying to use a gas carb on alcohol will not work because it can not move enough fluid. The top carb guys building E85 arbs are getting parts specifically made for the amount of liquid movement needed for E85 or about 1.5-1.6 times as much fluid as gas (which can be E60 something to E90 something depending on the area and time of year). These are NOT Gas carbs that were changed to E 85 but carbs built from the ground up for the mix. So NOT they are NOT a carb converted to use E85 but a carb specifically built from the ground up for it. That is unless Willys has no idea what they are talking about when I spoke to them at the PRI show 4 years ago about using E85 in a crate engine.

Carbs built for alcohol are cast and designed to use about 2.2 times the amount of liquid as a gas carb converting one to E 85 or gas will lead to making conessions that will not allow top performance, likewise trying to use a gas carb on alcohol will not work because it can not move enough fluid. The top carb guys building E85 arbs are getting parts specifically made for the amount of liquid movement needed for E85 or about 1.5-1.6 times as much fluid as gas (which can be E60 something to E90 something depending on the area and time of year). These are NOT Gas carbs that were changed to E 85 but carbs built from the ground up for the mix. So NOT they are NOT a carb converted to use E85 but a carb specifically built from the ground up for it. That is unless Willys has no idea what they are talking about when I spoke to them at the PRI show 4 years ago about using E85 in a crate engine.
    Whats a part number for a Holley from holley for e 85?

Love to see a carb that is CAST by Holley for alc or e 85.

Gas carbs are modified for alc or e 85, lol. Passages are opened up by carb builders and or holley. lol..

Your just too darn funny on here Ego. Why dont you try and post about something you know, or you have done, not just chit chat youve read or talked about?
    Last edited by stock car driver; 07-30-2011 at 12:55 AM.

No offense meant but you're wrong. Converting a methanol carb to E-85 doesn't work without changing a lot of hard parts. Gas to E-85 works just fine because the passages can be opened up. Whoever you talked to didn't know what they were talking about or you misunderstood. JDR builds a whole lot of them and they work great, no issues. BTW, a gas carb can be converted for methanol also and will work great if it's done right.

ive ran this car before last year with no problems i know its not how its built. classic motorsports built the carb for me and dynoed it. its just with the humitiy it will not idel and im not sure what to do ? i got told mabe to try and adjust my butterflys mabe they are opened to far at idel ?

Quote Originally Posted by oldnelly87 View Post
    ive ran this car before last year with no problems i know its not how its built. classic motorsports built the carb for me and dynoed it. its just with the humitiy it will not idel and im not sure what to do ? i got told mabe to try and adjust my butterflys mabe they are opened to far at idel ?
    i can also run pure ethnoal in this carb because the holes are big enough to do it if i jet it up.

Good luck with it. It sounds way off to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 50j View Post
    X2
    U can step on the brake
    U can step on the gas
    But step on ur crank
    UR gonna get passed!

Quote Originally Posted by 50j View Post
    Yep, not sure why anyone with a BUILT carb would want advice on here vs asking the carb builder for help.

Like I said b4 there are a lot of things that can go wrong with a e85 fuel system.

Not too mention....every carb builder has their own little "quirks" when they build them.
    JD's Performance
    13034 Hwy 99
    Wapello, IA 52653
    319-931-0677

Quote Originally Posted by parrot69777 View Post
    Not too mention....every carb builder has their own little "quirks" when they build them.
    I thought I might meet you at Bloomfield USRA race last week, thats not far from your neck of Iowa?

Bloomfield is around 85-100 miles from me. Usually I try to get out to all the tracks but been staying pretty busy at the shop and not venturing out much. Especially with as hot as it's been.

Thought maybe I would have seen ya at the 25 lap race at CJ back around July 1st? I understand if you didn't want to come back after last year....but this year it went green to checkers non stop...pretty nice race track....no dust. Think they had something like 21 cars.

They have another one coming up August 12th. $500 to win with a $75 hard charger. Jim Redman (Prefered Auto) is putting up an extra $200 to the winner. If he wins....the $200 is going to the 2nd place.
    JD's Performance
    13034 Hwy 99
    Wapello, IA 52653
    319-931-0677

Quote Originally Posted by parrot69777 View Post
    Bloomfield is around 85-100 miles from me. Usually I try to get out to all the tracks but been staying pretty busy at the shop and not venturing out much. Especially with as hot as it's been.

Thought maybe I would have seen ya at the 25 lap race at CJ back around July 1st? I understand if you didn't want to come back after last year....but this year it went green to checkers non stop...pretty nice race track....no dust. Think they had something like 21 cars.

They have another one coming up August 12th. $500 to win with a $75 hard charger. Jim Redman (Prefered Auto) is putting up an extra $200 to the winner. If he wins....the $200 is going to the 2nd place.
    I was going to run that race BUT I chose to skip the IMCA shootout week entirely. I didnt have the desire to switch motors and tires over for IMCA. My 360 is much better than my big cube motors, no comparison.

Im primarily running the USRA Iron Man series. Ive never finished my 2nd car to have one for IMCA and one for other... I dont want to wrecked up cars at the end of this season, lol.

LAST years race there didnt bother me at all. I was ready to go, I was up to 5th or 7th from 24th or whatever in the 3 laps we ran. They paid us for our finishing positions which seemed like a bonus to me.
    Last edited by stock car driver; 07-30-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Smile

I have run E85 with very few issues for the past 3 years. At the start of this season I had a very similar problem. I went .040 air bleeds on the outer four corners, cleaned the metering blocks, adjusted the float level, and reset the idle screws. Also, drained the fuel and installed fresh. Yes it is a very touchy fuel, but it can be run with few problems.
    Always get your fuel from the same station and always check it. The blend seems to change towards the end of the season, at least up north.
    Try this and let us know. I can give you a few more suggestions if your still having problems.
    Good luck.

PS...see it's possible to post on here without posting a bunch of useless BS!

Quote Originally Posted by mcnicol25 View Post
    I have run E85 with very few issues for the past 3 years. At the start of this season I had a very similar problem. I went .040 air bleeds on the outer four corners, cleaned the metering blocks, adjusted the float level, and reset the idle screws. Also, drained the fuel and installed fresh. Yes it is a very touchy fuel, but it can be run with few problems.
    Always get your fuel from the same station and always check it. The blend seems to change towards the end of the season, at least up north.
    Try this and let us know. I can give you a few more suggestions if your still having problems.
    Good luck.

PS...see it's possible to post on here without posting a bunch of useless BS!
    What are you getting checking pump fuel? Ive got 3 guys I know running e 85 and they said its 72-78 from the pump so they mix their own from ethanol and race fuel.

Thats a lot of work but Im still considering it for next season.

Yep usually somewhere in the 70's is what I get out of the Meijer pump here in MI. For the most part it will run just fine on that. If the hesitation gets to bad off idle I'll go get a gallon fuel from the guy at the track and just dump it in on top.
    At full throttle I'm not noticing any problems, but during restarts if doesn't want to clean out, I'll hang back a touch a get a little bit of a rolling start. Seems to be working OK for now.