Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: header glowingI

Default header glowingI

I have a header glowing red. Any idea on what it could be car seems to get hot quick

Retarded timing?

If you have a rev limiter msd, take the chip out, if problem is solved take gear out or increase chip limit #.

Fuel mixture to rich?

Quote Originally Posted by vms View Post
    I have a header glowing red. Any idea on what it could be car seems to get hot quick
    Its to lean and check your air mixture screws on carb. Also start engine and spray carb cleaner around the bottom of carb it might be sucking in air somewhere that would make it lean and run hot. Clean ever hole in carb with cleaner and air. I have had air coming in around the air mixture screws that made car lean out and run hot.

Quote Originally Posted by hsracer View Post
    Its to lean and check your air mixture screws on carb. Also start engine and spray carb cleaner around the bottom of carb it might be sucking in air somewhere that would make it lean and run hot. Clean ever hole in carb with cleaner and air. I have had air coming in around the air mixture screws that made car lean out and run hot.
    Lean will add heat to the chamber but not the exhaust to the point of red headers. Fuel getting into the header and burning will make it red, either by timing or a rich condition.

Default lean

Im with Ego, lean will typically make it look white around the header. the red glow is un burnt fuel burning in the header; hence timing or rich condition.

All the plugs are white so i would assume it means that its rich, and the timing is to much since it heats up quick.

i would guess the issue is timing ill let you know what we find

Default plugs

light gray is lean; black tarry is rich;

We had a mini that was showing lean on the plugs, it was running like junk and the header was cherry red. We found the carb was so rich that most of the fuel was flowing into the header and burning this flow was causing a lean condition in the cylinder. Never seen it before or sense but it is something to keep in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    We had a mini that was showing lean on the plugs, it was running like junk and the header was cherry red. We found the carb was so rich that most of the fuel was flowing into the header and burning this flow was causing a lean condition in the cylinder. Never seen it before or sense but it is something to keep in mind!
    Spade!

Borrow a different timing light and check your timing again.

Retarded timing caused the cases I've seen.

If it's popping through the carb too, you might have the valves set too tight and they aren't closing.

Quote Originally Posted by jedclampit View Post
    Spade!
    You too?

Lean combustion chamber...but rich in the exhaust? 2-stroke engine?

Rich condition will cause the glowing red header tubes...Ego is right, it is unburned gas in the header that causes it...If it was a lean condition, that poor old aluminum piston would have been melted before the header tubes got glowing...LOL

Well i found that the right side bank plugs looked ashe.. Which i think is ok, left side was white but 3 out of the 4 headers where cracked im guess because of the over heating. engine idles and runs fin when i throttle, lifting everything. But just sitting at idle waiting to hit the track the temp shoots right up. Where going to redo the timing tommarow. I checked the valves they all where correct.

We also where told to run 113 instead of 110. We switched back to the orig plugs. BTW this is alum head motor with a 600 holley carb.

this was also the the first time the header did this. But we also put new cap and rotor on the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by vms View Post
    Well i found that the right side bank plugs looked ashe.. Which i think is ok, left side was white but 3 out of the 4 headers where cracked im guess because of the over heating. engine idles and runs fin when i throttle, lifting everything. But just sitting at idle waiting to hit the track the temp shoots right up. Where going to redo the timing tommarow. I checked the valves they all where correct.

We also where told to run 113 instead of 110. We switched back to the orig plugs. BTW this is alum head motor with a 600 holley carb.
    What is your compression??? 113 is STIFF and hard to burn, this may be the cause. I would bet that your cracks are from vibration and that may also be allowing air in and causing the tubes to get hot.

Yes "the higher the better" is not the case with Octane rating. You want the correct octane for your compression ratio/timing to gain max power. This is why most older street cars (without variable timing) do better with regular (87) over premium (93)