Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: header glowingI

A vacuum leak will cause the same problem, have had it happen with a couple different motors.

well, we went to time the car and rejet and we noticed that the jets we dirty, come to find out the foam in the tank got in the system. Fuel filter was clogged. Also the distrubtor was locked out.

Quote Originally Posted by vms View Post
    well, we went to time the car and rejet and we noticed that the jets we dirty, come to find out the foam in the tank got in the system. Fuel filter was clogged. Also the distrubtor was locked out.
    Never run an oval track distributor any other way.

jets where if i remmber right 70 and 45... Dont remmber right now.. but i found the fuel filter cloggved with foam as well as the carb had some in it.. This is a 13 to 1 i think.. aint sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Living_Truth View Post
    Whole other can of worms there! Not everyone locks them out. I tried to once, and broke 3 teeth off a flywheel over the course of 2 weeks.

~22* idle and 36* @ 7000 works fine for me. Nice and easy on the starter as well.

If you have it wired to spin up before firing I have not had a single problem running them locked. I did have one stick before I started locking them and it did not advance and it melted the motor down. I would MUCH rather replace a flywheel than pistons, heads and a block.

I have never seen a serious race car not run a locked out distributor. Every major engine builder I know of has them locked out. You can spin the engine over and get oil where it's supposed to be, flip the ignition switch and your fired...Very simple...Not a grocery getter...A centrifigal advance is one more thing that can go wrong...I have NEVER seen another DLM where they are not set up the way I just mentioned...

We had perfect jetting in our horse for 110.Ran 113 thru it one night same jets nothing else changed and the inside of the headers were Black, plugs also. Went back to the 110 and they went back Grey. Was told 113 needed bigger jets ???????????

Quote Originally Posted by 1Blacksheep View Post
    We had perfect jetting in our horse for 110.Ran 113 thru it one night same jets nothing else changed and the inside of the headers were Black, plugs also. Went back to the 110 and they went back Grey. Was told 113 needed bigger jets ???????????
    If it was black it was rich, Octane is a requirement of compression NOT a jet sized adjustment. A smaller jet may make it better but you are making the combo lean to run hotter to burn the higher compression fuel.