Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Mosidebite View Post
    Mechanical pump 8600 rpm and 690 hp for the last 4 years....just saying, wouldnt just blame the pump.
    you two saying mechanical pumps are you on gas or alky? i always had trouble keeping the pumps together seemed like something was always going wrong w/ them

On alky...have had really good luck with the pumps from speedway or the cheaper pumps from Motorstate. Had a couple Baker pumps and never lasted. The ones mentioned earlier seem to last for a couple seasons for me, When they start leaking oil I get a new one. Never gave up just dont like the mess. I figure if I buy a new pump every other year I would spend way less than buying a belt drive and then having the maint. and rebuilding costs
    Last edited by Mosidebite; 08-11-2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: adding

Had the same problem a few years ago with a 18 degree motor. We were running gas at the time, broke 2 pistons put 2 new ones in and broke 2 more, put a new set in changed to alky and backed the timing down to around 30 and have the run the motor 3 years now with no problems.

STPMotorsports, you may do well by giving Glenn a call at Clements. He knows all about JE pistons cracking and it is my experience that he will not hesitate to talk to you about it. I will suspect that he will recommend Diamond pistons due to their thicker head material. Not saying you don't have problems elsewhere, but he would be a great resource for you.

Thanks guys