Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cylinder head choice????

Have a 3.80 / 6" rod combo. Going to have to change pistons so that is not a factor. Want a head that can produce good power (750 or more) for half mile and larger tracks and be able to tame down to run a regular 3/8ths once in a while. Any suggestions that will not break the bank?
    Last edited by Mosidebite; 08-11-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Default heads

you can get 750 hp with 18deg heads or 13deg and get 800 hp +

sb2.2 but make sure not a set for talledega or some big track like that

What engine block are you running?

little M 4.125 /350 mains is the block. Have been thinking the sb2 stuff. Will not probably turn it more than 8600 if that make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    sb2.2 but make sure not a set for talledega or some big track like that
    Had not even taken that into consideration, thanks for bringing it up.

the sb 2.2 heads will make big hp but theres a reason very few top drivers run them. if any top drivers do i cant think of anybody i know that's running them.

What do you think that reason is?
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

This engine is not intended to be used in a normal setting. Mile tracks is what it will be used for .

contact clements racing engines they have the stuff that will run.

Quote Originally Posted by let-r-eat View Post
    Obviously, Scott Bloomquist is the biggest name driver that has been successful running Vic Hil SB2's in the past, so they can work. But, I think you don't see them much because the torque curve and acceleration rate of the engine with SB2's is generally not as good as some of the best inline valve heads from Dart or Brodix. The SB2's have a rather high rpm narrow power band whereas the inline valve heads will work better at lower rpm's. The Dart 10-13 degree heads are on many of the fastest professional racers engines. The 9 degree Dart is the lastest head and Brodix is coming out with a new 10 degree head supposedly.

Quote Originally Posted by let-r-eat View Post
    From the drivers I have talked with.....it's a matter of driver preference. Some have said it's too explosive out of the corner and they didn't like the power curve on the straights. While other drivers like the lower RPM torque. Sounds like a great deal when it's tacky but not so good when it slicks off.
    JD's Performance
    13034 Hwy 99
    Wapello, IA 52653
    319-931-0677

Also the SB2 head on a std block is really hard on lifters.

Keep in mind also the SB2 is a heavier package to run. The power numbers is not a problem but the package is more expensive to run. Also, by design, the heads generally work better on a smaller cube engine that can operate in the 7-9000 rpm range. Go to you tube and look up East Bay qualifying 2010 with Bloomer and listen to his engine. Then listen to some of the others that can be brought up. He successful with the SB2 because his chassis most of the time have more traction than others and therefore he can slap a lot of gear to his cars with the SB2.

What is the deal with the lifters? Is it the angle in relationship to the push rods or... And for the rpms, it will be about 6500 to 8500 all the time, close enough?
    I am sure there are other heads out there that will produce good numbers and be drivable, just looking for something readily available.
    Plus since they will be ran no more than 8-10 nights a year they should not require a ton of maintenance or at least I would hope not.

Clements 13/11 degree head im sure more than half of the woo and lucus guys are running these.

saw the dart 9* package at the machine shop a couple of weekends ago and they let us watch the dyno runs......not sure on what the numbers are.....but holy smokes did that thing run hard on all the pulls. the power band on it was salty to say the least. but then they said how much the motor cost....and i pooped my pants. he had more in the heads than my entire 11-1 limited motor cost lol

I have seen the 9* stuff......WOW.....I guess 7,6,5,4,3,2,and 1 is all that's left......Its hard to sort the marketing gimmicks from the real thing anymore. Have seen junk say bye bye to all the high dollar stuff at some point or another. Don't think things will ever change.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

The SB2 head was designed for NASCAR and has a very narrow RPM window that it runs good in. When the head was designed there was no gear or RPM rules in Nascar and the builders were hitting 10,000 rpm on some tracks and that is what the head was designed for. Under 8500 they are sluggish and lazy but above it they are strong. Several items I have seen all point to the intake runner length on them is short which raises the useful RPM of the head. The 9 degree stuff has a longer runner that is raised in the head more than the 13 degree heads which gives them a lower and wider useful rpm range.
    I think the peaky HP (8500-10,000+rpm for peak output) high rpm and it's affects on parts is why you do not see them in dirt late models anymore, the cost of running them is to high when there are better choices that are easier on parts and make big power.
    Last edited by Egoracing; 08-18-2011 at 07:02 AM.

I think something that is important to know is that the 9* heads are not simply 23*, 18*, or even 13* heads that have just been angle cut. they are a completely redesigned casting. hence the cost and limited application.