Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ego is telling the story. short runner that is high in the head.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

We run a SB2.2 that was built by Bill H and it is not doggy below 8500 rpm LMAO...You have to get the right head to start with...Martinsville and the road racing heads worked from 5,000 up just look at there tach readings at those type tracks...Bill H said it's all about the cam profile with those heads..He said sure you can build him to act like a 2 stroke and explode at 7,000, but you can also build them where they will pull hard down low. We run on some hooked up gumbo sometimes and we don't get yanked off the bottom...We don't twist it real hard either...usually a 8200-8400 chip...Never have had a problem with the Crower HIPPO Severe Duty rollers. 180 offset on intake, straight up on exhaust, 1.8 T&D rockers...LS1 firing order not just a 7/4 swap...a 4 cylinder swap..

Thanks for the replies guys. This is the kinda info I am looking for. Anything else would be greatly appreciated.

I think the short track heads had a different runner pattern that helped them on the lower end but they are hard to find and not as many sets running around anymore besides there are much better choices now that cost less $$ than the SB stuff.

To a point I agree with you Ego, but you can get some smoking deals on SB2.2 stuff and make big HP! I know a couple of the Touring guys some, Scott James and have spoken with Billy Moyer when he was out here last year and they both told me the same thing, that one of the big reasons you don't see more WoO types with SB2.2 is not the power or the power band it is the weight. Those guys are looking to shave ounces off their cars so they can put the ballest where they want it and the SB2.2 is a lot heavier than an in line valve head. And when they are looking to save ounces, they hate bolting on more pounds than need be.

where would be a place to start looking for the right sb2.2 stuff? Sounds like a pretty good option

Quote Originally Posted by sj valley dave View Post
    To a point I agree with you Ego, but you can get some smoking deals on SB2.2 stuff and make big HP! I know a couple of the Touring guys some, Scott James and have spoken with Billy Moyer when he was out here last year and they both told me the same thing, that one of the big reasons you don't see more WoO types with SB2.2 is not the power or the power band it is the weight. Those guys are looking to shave ounces off their cars so they can put the ballest where they want it and the SB2.2 is a lot heavier than an in line valve head. And when they are looking to save ounces, they hate bolting on more pounds than need be.
    A would agree with the weight, It actually never entered my mind how heavy they were. The problem with buying them is unless they are coming from an engine builder you do not know what they are, short track or large track, until you get them to someone that knows them and has used them. It is easier to use the 13 degree stuff and you can get it used for decent money also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosidebite View Post
    where would be a place to start looking for the right sb2.2 stuff? Sounds like a pretty good option
    I would get hold of Steve Hendren, Bill's son. He is really sharp and hooked up on the SB2.2 stuff. Their "house" car has a 422" SB2.2 in it also..828-286-0780
    Last edited by sj valley dave; 08-26-2011 at 05:39 PM.

10-4 Bill put me onto the cam profile for our 420 stuff a couple years ago, about as helpful as a guy could get, knowing he was gonna sell a cam instead of a complete engine he still helped us out...racing is gonna miss this guy!

After talking to Steve, I learned Dave is spot on. As far as the short track/road racing heads versus the rest: Steve says to get a non restrictor plate head with a matching intake that has the larger stem valves and all will be fine. And if you look you can find head intake rocker assemblies for sb2's cheaper than 16 or 18 degree stuff. THANKS GUYS!

Glad you got your questions answered. Steve has been really good to work with and is very knowledgable on the SB2.2 stuff. You do want to have the bigger stems, we have the 5/16" due to the much higher roller cam spring rates...