Thread: Motor Question

Default Motor Question

I bought a car recently that was supposed to have a blown motor.

The owner told me that it lost oil pressure and run alittle hot, but after getting it home and pulling the oil pan the only problem we can see is pieces of cork from the oil pan gasket was blocking the pickup. I pulled a few caps and the bearings looked fine and nothing looks burnt from starving for oil.

So I guess my question is what else do I need to take a closer look at to make sure the motor is ok?

Do a compression test and a leak down test to see if you have other issues.

Not sure which bearings you checked but if it lost oil pressure.....#1 main and #1/#2 rod bearings should be looked at first. If it had cork in the pickup tube....make sure the by pass in the oil pump doesn't have something in it as well. If that is being held open...it will have little to no oil pressure.
    JD's Performance
    13034 Hwy 99
    Wapello, IA 52653
    319-931-0677

Quote Originally Posted by parrot69777 View Post
    Not sure which bearings you checked but if it lost oil pressure.....#1 main and #1/#2 rod bearings should be looked at first. If it had cork in the pickup tube....make sure the by pass in the oil pump doesn't have something in it as well. If that is being held open...it will have little to no oil pressure.
    x2 on the bypass on the oil pump. we bought a motor that the guy said it had no pressure so he shut it off. turned out to be exactly that. we got a sweet motor for a sweet price. luck of the draw.

what causes 1 & 2 bearings to be the ones to check? furthest from the pump?

Yeah I checked the front main and rods. He said it would keep oil pressure until it got hot. I'm think is was just sucking trash up to the pick up when he was on the throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by HCR#16 View Post
    Yeah I checked the front main and rods. He said it would keep oil pressure until it got hot. I'm think is was just sucking trash up to the pick up when he was on the throttle.
    I'd check it out and run it! My motors always hold good pressure cold and drop of to 15 or 20 lbs. after the race. It's not a street motor! It won't hold 60lbs hot and live very long.

#1 & #2 rod bearings are the last ones to get oiled and are furthest away from the pump. Not sure what block he is running but on factory GM blocks, the main oil galley is drilled from both ends and sometimes the center where the two holes meet can be restrictive because they never line up with each other.

I have seen some guys run an oil line....coming from the hole above the oil filter around the front of the block and into the hole above the timing cover. Let's it get oil from both ends.
    JD's Performance
    13034 Hwy 99
    Wapello, IA 52653
    319-931-0677

The oil pump looks like it got to hot gonna go ahead and replace it, I'm gonna tear it all the way down a reclean it, look some stuff over real good, and probably put it back together.

What are y'alls opinion on maybe ringing it?
    Will port and polish for cash

id probably ring it. if the motor got hot or was not oiling properly, they might be stressed. its not costly to replace rings anyway so if you're tearing it down, you might as well, cheap insurance. a broken ring can cause lots of other havoc.

One more for you guys, how do the World Products part #4360 compare to double humps and vortecs?
    Will port and polish for cash