Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who runs a 2.0 block with a 2.5 crank and how does it run

Have seen some run down around Hickory thought i mite like to build one...
    Last edited by fordracer83; 08-15-2011 at 04:53 PM.

why bother? are you talking 2.0 pinto or 2.0 ranger or 2.0 Duratec or what?

Default more info needed ok...

well where we run you have to run a 2300... stock length rods untouched crank other than the usual machining you can run crower rods etc but stock length.The track P and Gs and it cant be anything bigger than that .60 0ver max.. Ok that being said would you benefit from the stroke of the 2.5 crank and also with the small bore you will pass the p and g gauge so would it be worth it or not givin the rules we have to go by. What I here is a 2.0 pinto block with a 2.5 crank using the bearing spacers etc....
    Last edited by fordracer83; 08-16-2011 at 06:58 PM.

stock length rods on all 2.3 engines EXCEPT 95/96 are 5.2"...stock length rods for the 2.5 crank are 5.4"..so right there you would be illegal.

Furhtermore,without EXTENSIVE and EXPENSIVE work you will not get the 2.5 crank into the old german 2.0 block.
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

I no that the rods would be illegal but if all the track checked was the p and g it wouldnt matter.... And i thought that a 2.0 was the same block as a 2.3 just the only difference was the bore size and if so then all you would have to do is use the bearing spacers to get down to the smaller journal size..and get a 5.2 or 5.7 rod for it and a piston made with the right compression height and there you have it... right or wrong ....has anybody tried this and if so am i close to the the right train of thought....

Doing some quick math in my head with the bore of the 2.0 and the stroke of the 2.5 you would get just under 200cc increase. so you would have a 2.2 liter for all practical argument. Then you have the smaller bore that is a decrease in power and you also will have more valve shrouding with the smaller bore.

You would be better off with the 2.3 to start, be legal and faster, in my opinion anyway. Unless your thinking of calling it a 2.0 and really having a 2.2, or cheating in other words.

use a 22r toyota crank with 2.0 ranger block and you'll have 2300 with forged crank. toss in some crower rods and je pistons and you'll have one stout bottom end with loads of torque off the corner.

Right ... what im trying to get to is would it be worth doing the combination for the torque ... we race 2300 and nothing more this car that is dominating at our track went to tech got p and gd and pumped a 134ci so i no that is what he is is probably doing at least thats what i think hes doin and he is a hand full off the corner which carries him down the straights....its being done down at hickory motor speedway i n. c. just read their rules for the 4 cyl. class .....

Default 2.5 engine

WE RUN A 2.5 ENGINE, ITS A SMALL JOURNAL BLOCK CASTING ON BLOCK E89, 5.7 RODS, J&E 30 OVER PISTONS, CRANK OUT OF A 1999 RANGER 2.5 ENGINE. WE HAVE BEEN P&Ged ALOT AND NEVER DQed. JUST BUILT ONE FOR OUR PINTO AND BUILDING ANOTHER AS WE SPEAK FOR A BACK UP. WE DID RUN A 2.3 WITH 5.7 RODS AND 30 OVER WIESCO PISTONS, WE NOTICED A BIG HP DIFFERENCE IN THE 2.3 AND THE 2.5 WITH THE SAME HEAD ON BOTH. 535 CAM FROM RACER WALSH. IF YOU HAVE A SMALL JOURNAL BLOCK GOT TO A FORD DEALER OR A PARTS HOUSE AND ORDER A 2.5 CRANK AND PUT IT TOGETHER, GO TO ESSLINGERS WEB SITE AND THEY HAVE A DYNO SHEET ON THE 2.3 VS THE 2.5. IF IT WAS ME I WOULD BUILD A 2.5 AND KICK THAT CARS A$$.

I thought of that to but if p and gd I would not pass because it would be to big for our rules which is a 2300 max of .60 overbore...Just thought that with that combination would have the benefits of the 2.5 torque and still pass the tech p and g..

The bigger the bore and smaller stroke will create more HP than a small bore and longer crank if the displacement, intake and exhaust are kept about equal. The longer stroke will also not RPM as quickly and will not hit as high of an RPM before getting terminal. SO in short, larger bore smaller crank is better all the way around than a small bore and larger crank.

but torque is king. you can have all the hp in the world but someone with more torque will pull you out of the hole and on a tight track, torque rules.

I will take a 2.3 crank lightened to the extreme any day over a stock 2.5 crank..

I agree with pobort we have a stop and go track and that guy sure does get it going in a hurry so thats why i would want the torque ....

im getting inthe 200's on torque out of a 2300! whats ur head rule? its about combos! ur going backwards with a 2.5 there out dated now!
    big bore small stroke lots of rpms will spank him!!

Run the german 2.0 and gear down. come out of the corner at 6500!!!

I would think that if a smaller motor is out pulling everyone there is much more than just a 2.5 crank in a 2.0 block. He may have a better head and cam with a bottom end that can take more RPM. even if your making the same power more gear will out accelerate everytime.

I think that if the guy is pulling everyone, he's got a better chassis setup so he can go thru the corner faster.

Default I have built one

Used a ranger 2.0 block with bearing spacers. Ranger 2.5 crank,crower 5.5 rods and set of wiseco pistons for the 2.0 for 5.7 rods cut the blocks deck .085 to get the piston .010 out of block. Used a stock dia valve head with solid roller cam. Block would have to be fly cut for 1.89 intake valve. Motor does not make as good low end tork as 2.3 on bottom end but pulls pretty hard mid range. Not a stop and go motor pretty good on tracks with long corners. Raced 1 pound per cc won a few races with it one race at 2300lbs.

Default 2.0. With a 2.5 crank

It can be done ..but like in one of the post..alot of work..but it will fly....thats where you use it in the lb per cc thing ..there was one ran at bowman gray and it was bad fast..

DIRTDAWG...