Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red line oil

Default Red line oil

What is your opinions on this oil?I have been using the Joe Gibbs stuff but it has done got outrageous on price.Do you have any other opinions on a oil to use?Thanks Rick

we have used it in the past. good stuff. ill probably hear alot of guff about this, but we have used off the shelf oil from NAPA in our 11-1 steelhead for 2 1/2 years now. we just go ahead and replace one quart with some lucas. we have never had any problem with it. we replace our oil every 5-6 races. so about 4 times a summer. we save a ton of money by doing it this way.

the kid that parks next to us runs a 604 that he only changes the Mobil1 oil half way through the year. this motor is at the end of its 3rd year and has never had any problems.

Lucas makes an oil additive with zinc and phos in it. It is used for engine break in, but it can be used with off the shelf oil for flat tappet motors. You can do the math to figure out how much you need for your system. I need 3 oz of it to get zinc and phos over 2000 ppm. I drain a little of the oil out into a white bucket after every race just to take a look at it. Change it every 5 to 6 races. The oil is always still gold in color when I change it. We'll see what the bearings look like after the season.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

Quote Originally Posted by rubbinsracin View Post
    we have used it in the past. good stuff. ill probably hear alot of guff about this, but we have used off the shelf oil from NAPA in our 11-1 steelhead for 2 1/2 years now. we just go ahead and replace one quart with some lucas. we have never had any problem with it. we replace our oil every 5-6 races. so about 4 times a summer. we save a ton of money by doing it this way.

the kid that parks next to us runs a 604 that he only changes the Mobil1 oil half way through the year. this motor is at the end of its 3rd year and has never had any problems.
    I use the NAPA oil as well, in my 2.3L four banger & never had any problems. Close to 7K every nite with it.

In my SS (406) I use the Kendall 20W50 from autozone, $4.49/qt. Says it has zinc added for racing engines. Only ran the car twice so far this year, but I know others who use it with no problems.

Dello 400 15-40 in for years now and never had a problem.
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

pennzoil racing oil, its cheap and has the zinc in it and the engines look better than any oil weve ever run when we freshen after 1500-1800 laps

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtman29 View Post
    In my SS (406) I use the Kendall 20W50 from autozone, $4.49/qt. Says it has zinc added for racing engines. Only ran the car twice so far this year, but I know others who use it with no problems.
    I just switched to Kendall in my 355. I've ran Valvoline VR1 for years but after the first night of racing I would always loose 10-15 lbs of oil pressure and hot after the race the thing would barely hold 10-15 lbs. Using the Kendal I've gained back my cold and hot pressure.

Just make sure you use a good quality oil. It is cheap insurance! Amsoil has done me well, as has Mobil 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Graff Spee View Post
    Just make sure you use a good quality oil. It is cheap insurance! Amsoil has done me well, as has Mobil 1.
    It always amazes me how people will spend $40 a a "special" set of carb jets or $50 on "special" plugs or pay $8+ a gallon for fuel to make more power but then they do not understand that they need good oil. It will keep the engine running better longer AND free up HP that they will spend a ton of money to try to find later!

Think I will just stick with Brad Penn.
    JD's Performance
    13034 Hwy 99
    Wapello, IA 52653
    319-931-0677

Quote Originally Posted by parrot69777 View Post
    agreed $55 for a case thats about 4.60 a piece and i run mine 4-5nites drain and put it in the truck.

its always interesting to see what everyone puts in their motor that "keeps it running like new" lol like i said, we just run napa gold with some additive. when we tear our motor down at the end of the year, each year, we think "wow we could just reuse these bearings and never have any trouble". this year we decided not to tear it down. and the motor still runs as strong as ever. we figure that crates can run 2 or 3 years before something needs to be done. so our "semi-professionally" rebuilt motor can do the same

its always interesting to see what everyone puts in their motor that "keeps it running like new" lol like i said, we just run napa gold with some additive. when we tear our motor down at the end of the year, each year, we think "wow we could just reuse these bearings and never have any trouble". this year we decided not to tear it down. and the motor still runs as strong as ever. we figure that crates can run 2 or 3 years before something needs to be done. so our "semi-professionally" rebuilt motor can do the same
    I am not as smart as you. I will stay with what I have had good luck with. I know a guy who uses Delvac synthetic truck oil with great success. Its good to see that you are thinking beyond some of us. Good luck!

Many crate racers are running synthetic to try to get the most out of the motors and depending on the races many need attention after 2 years only turning 64oo or so rpm.

im not saying im right or anyone else is wrong. i just said it was interesting to see what everyone uses. i get years out of a motor with my napa oil. someone else might get years out of a motor on Joe Gibbs, Red Line, Mobil1, or any of the other 1000 brands out there. I think that choosing your oil should come after careful thought. hell this saturday i saw a guy who is leading a traveling series with late models put good ole regular green quaker state 20w50 into his motor.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    It always amazes me how people will spend $40 a a "special" set of carb jets or $50 on "special" plugs or pay $8+ a gallon for fuel to make more power but then they do not understand that they need good oil. It will keep the engine running better longer AND free up HP that they will spend a ton of money to try to find later!
    Agree !!
    Central IL Bert Transmission Rebuilder
    Brian (217)201-3640

Quote Originally Posted by parrot69777 View Post
    Deff Agree ....
    Central IL Bert Transmission Rebuilder
    Brian (217)201-3640

filter question. we run the wix filter but its the short one. what is the advantage of running the bigger one?

i would also like to know what the difference is between 51060 vs 51061 wix filters?

i know we have always ran the short one because it keeps it up off the ground. but other that more volume of oil and a larger area for the oil to filter i cant think of what would be the benefit. and the added volume of oil could only amount to a 1/4 of a qrt or so