Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Pinto VS Mustang... Decisions, Decisions

If you had the choice... Which one would you run and why?

Mustang.. I like a coil spring car

Go with the mustang, most parts are still easy to get. Pintos havent been made since '80 & parts and cars are scarce (in my area at least).

pinto. shorter wheel base, better front suspension design.

i have a choice as i own one of each. both can be made to win and i have won with both. they are different though. they drive different and respond different to the same changes. they have different front and rear suspensions and wheelbases. driving my mustang is like driving a bigger car, smooth, stable, and seems a little better on a real rough track. driving my pinto is like being in an mg or something small like that. nimble, precise, able to change directions almost at will. both are fun to drive. i would build whatever you can get a lot of spare parts for.

olin

Quote Originally Posted by return to dirt View Post
    i would build whatever you can get a lot of spare parts for.

olin
    I already have the Pinto.

Long story short... It was formerly owned and wrecked several times. It is wicked loose. I've tried to tighten it up but it crosses over to pushing like a dump truck very easily. I'm thinking that I want to start over with a fresh slate.

The Pinto parts are really scarce, unless you buy new. Used Mustangs can still be easily found.

I'm just trying to make sure that I'm making the right choice, before I dump a bunch of money into building this thing.
    Caution: I spin without warning.

have you had the chassis on a frame jig and checked all the suspension points? check for chassis bind? what are your alignment angles? caster, camber, toe, set back, thrust angle, SAI, included angle?

what if you could mix both... pinto front and fox body rear... there is some gossip with our rule makers that if you can tie both ends together with a stock fire wall and stock floor pan it would pass... what do you think Hybrid musty-pinto??

Everfaster

then why not just build a pro4 tube chassis and be done!

YA! that's what i said... but the rule benders are trying to make you think it's not a tube chassis. basically it's the same amount of work the way i see it... but they are trying to sneak it in the "stock class" we've even got one guy who total redid the front of a pinto (all fab) except the control arms and said it's all stock location.

sounds like a class with a lot of whiners and not much for winners.

Ha Ha, ya, Every class is got plenty of that... as long as i'm racing don't really care what the other guys are doing because i could do it too... just like chasing the guy closest to me for the next spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Everfaster View Post
    Ha Ha, ya, Every class is got plenty of that... as long as i'm racing don't really care what the other guys are doing because i could do it too... just like chasing the guy closest to me for the next spot.
    like coil over kits on a fox mustang?

pobort,
    again not much for good conversation, are ya... again last post here, same as other

Quote Originally Posted by pobort View Post
    pinto. shorter wheel base, better front suspension design.
    with sorry rear suspension!!

Quote Originally Posted by Everfaster View Post
    pobort,
    again not much for good conversation, are ya... again last post here, same as other
    lol he's about retarded as they get!! good call! he talks alot and listens none!! real ignorant that GUY!!!!![ pobort ]

Quote Originally Posted by Dan32 View Post
    with sorry rear suspension!!
    actually you can make the rear leafs work pretty good. set them up somewhat like a fastboys setup and they can work as good as a mustang. i have about 12in travel on my right rear which can help on rough tracks and rear steer.

olin

Quote Originally Posted by return to dirt View Post
    actually you can make the rear leafs work pretty good. set them up somewhat like a fastboys setup and they can work as good as a mustang. i have about 12in travel on my right rear which can help on rough tracks and rear steer.

olin
    What exactly is a "Fastboys Setup"? will in work on asphault?
    Caution: I spin without warning.

Maybe you should forget that old antique ford stuff and look into something a bit more modern, with a lot of parts availability and performance. Think about it a stock dohc neon puts out over 150hp a stock 2.3 ford is like 90. How much money do you need to spend to get to 150?

have to agree with dan 32 he is pretty ignorant