Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

So far Junebug is in the chase. Hes ahead of Stewart. Hes had a pretty good year so far.

Quote Originally Posted by t.nie View Post
    Danica is bringing her spoilt child antics to the big show next year. Let's see, a never-was in Indy Car racing, 20 Nationwide starts netting 17 outside the top 10 finishes, net result? She gets promoted to a full time ride and gets to test the waters in the big show too.

Name me one guy that would get this kind of five star treatment for accomplishing NOTHING. Guys would be losing their rides to more talented teenagers coming up, not getting promoted for failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    She will be just like good ole JR. The best equipment and not enough talent to do anything with it. However the t-shirts and other merchandise will fly of the shelves just like good ole JR making enough money to justify giving them rides. It also will give DW another car running 30th or worse to blabber about while constantly updating the wereabouts of "Junebug"....Exactly why I quit watching Nascrap or attending any of thier races.
    I was going to say what DoubleD said. I'm a Junior fan. He just re-signed with Hendrick for 5 more years. He hasn't won a race in over 3 years but he makes a lot of money for Hendrick from sponsors and merchandise sales. Danica is getting a Nascar ride because she will bring in a lot of money from sponsors and merchandise sales. We used to be big Nascar fans but are now at a dirt track every Saturday night. Nascar can't come close to the excitement of the racing at a dirt track.

This is not complicated, it is business

Danica=millions of revenue
    Jr=Millions of revenue.

Danica will be a disaster in sprint cup. She can hang around the much depleted Nationwide series with its 15-18 competitive cars and get a fuel milage top ten every few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I was going to say what DoubleD said. I'm a Junior fan. He just re-signed with Hendrick for 5 more years. He hasn't won a race in over 3 years but he makes a lot of money for Hendrick from sponsors and merchandise sales. Danica is getting a Nascar ride because she will bring in a lot of money from sponsors and merchandise sales. We used to be big Nascar fans but are now at a dirt track every Saturday night. Nascar can't come close to the excitement of the racing at a dirt track.
    Junior has 2 Nationwide championships and 3 top 5 finishes in the Sprint cup championship and how many wins in both series? So regardless of his name, he has the credibility of wins, top fives and championships to justify his existence beyond his name and the marketing value.

Last year he ran 3 Nationwide races and won 1, finished top 5 in the other 2. Not bad for a guy who only gets a ride because of his name...

Granted he sells merchandise, no doubt. But I seriously doubt he would still be driving anything all these years later had he not won races and championships and demonstrated he could drive. The name may get you noticed where others may not, but he still has to be able to get in the car and get the job done to keep those fans.

No Earnhardt fan would wear a thing with Junior's name or face on it if the guy was just a back marker who never won anything. I would think if the guy was a loser they would have demanded he be gotten rid of. They wouldn't tolerate him tarnishing the family name.

How long Patrick can last without doing anything notable remains to be seen, but she will certainly be around a lot longer than any guy would be allowed to without results. Just look at how far doing nothing remarkable on the track has taken her now.
    Last edited by t.nie; 09-08-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by t.nie View Post
    Junior has 2 Nationwide championships and 3 top 5 finishes in the Sprint cup championship and how many wins in both series? So regardless of his name, he has the credibility of wins, top fives and championships to justify his existence beyond his name and the marketing value.

Last year he ran 3 Nationwide races and won 1, finished top 5 in the other 2. Not bad for a guy who only gets a ride because of his name...

Granted he sells merchandise, no doubt. But I seriously doubt he would still be driving anything all these years later had he not won races and championships and demonstrated he could drive. The name may get you noticed where others may not, but he still has to be able to get in the car and get the job done to keep those fans.

No Earnhardt fan would wear a thing with Junior's name or face on it if the guy was just a back marker who never won anything. I would think if the guy was a loser they would have demanded he be gotten rid of. They wouldn't tolerate him tarnishing the family name.
    I’m a Junior fan but he isn’t close to the driver he was his first 5 years in the cup series. He lost the edge that makes a good driver great when he was in the wreck and fire in the Corvette racecar. I never called him a loser. 15 of his 18 cup wins came from 2000-2004. He has 3 cup wins from 2005-2011 and no wins in the last 3 years. He's been a middle of the pack racer for most of the 2005-2011 time. He’s living off of his first 5 years in the cup series and his two Nationwide championships. There’s not to many drivers out there who can keep a cup ride with a top team like Hendrick without winning races. He’s there because he brings in sponsor and merchandise money. I hope one day he will start to win races again.

Paul Menard isn't at Childress because he's a great driver. He's there because daddy has a big checkbook and brings big Menards money to Childress. It's just business.
    Last edited by Gary; 09-08-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Look at the back of the pack in Nascar, there are about 15 drivers that aren't worth a crap that have rides.
    Will port and polish for cash

My comparison was Jr to Patrick though, and in that comparison Jr acquits himself well with wins and championships, compared to Patrick who has a single paltry win in a premier series and no championships at all, not even a contender.

Agree with you on Paul Menard. When he won at the Brickyard I was thinking "So, how much did that win cost, $300 million?"