Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need help!!! New to mods

I bought i lighting chassie its 04. running 9in rear 4 bar car.Im running a 602 create motor with birt trans. Having issues getting car to roll. a tacky 1/2 mile high bank track. Only slick when super nationals are there.

LF-weight-614
    spring 700
    shock 3535 bil

LR-weight678
    spring-225
    shock-1295 afco behind

RF-weight 513
    spring-800
    shock-4545 bil

RR weight 638
    spring 175
    shock 1294afco infront

Rear 51.1%
    left 53.8
    cross 48.8
    bite-40
    gear-500
    602 create motor with birt trans

top bars 16in
    bottom bars 14

where should the pull bar be located on the frame and should i run the 90/10 shock on the top. Hope someone can help thanks in advance
    Last edited by bluemod; 08-28-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Your WAY OFF on rear %. Needs to be up around 58%. Add weight and put it high in the car.

what clip is ur car....i think the front springs seem a little stiff, even on my metric clip car i was a little softer then that

My metric I run a 1050 in the RF. Everyone tells me I'm nuts, but, if I don't it bottoms out and shoves the nose hard. I read a thread on the dirt forum and the guy that builds lightenings says he tells his customers to not go under 1100. Mines not a lightening, but, I took his advice and it works for me.

Have you tried calling Mr. Adams at Lightning chassis, he is Heavy Duty on this forum.

http://www.lightningchassis.com/

Good luck.

Default chassis

Quote Originally Posted by bluemod View Post
    I bought i lighting chassie its 04. running 9in rear 4 bar car.Im running a 602 create motor with birt trans. Having issues getting car to roll. a tacky 1/2 mile high bank track. Only slick when super nationals are there.

LF-weight-614
    spring 700
    shock 3535 bil

LR-weight678
    spring-225
    shock-1295 afco behind

RF-weight 513
    spring-800
    shock-4545 bil

RR weight 638
    spring 175
    shock 1294afco infront

Rear 51.1%
    left 53.8
    cross 48.8
    bite-40
    gear-500
    602 create motor with birt trans

top bars 16in
    bottom bars 14

where should the pull bar be located on the frame and should i run the 90/10 shock on the top. Hope someone can help thanks in advance

1. raise rear ride heights 1" over lightning set up sheet.
    2. lower left side weight a tick (that year car should have right side battery mount)
    3. try a 750 LF, and a 700 in RF, and adjust ride heights accordingly.(for Nova A-arm cars)

What is driver weight?
    Do you have long, or short pullbar?
    How much LR drop do you have?
    Is there weight in the car, and how high is it in the car?

Metric or Nova front a-arms?
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

driver is 219
    i have to long pull bar mount is beside the drive shaft loop
    i have like 2 1/2 drop on lr
    there is no weight in the car
    not for sure on the clip is there a way i can tell

If its a metric it should have indented frame rails.

yes it is a metric clip

51% rear lol,make sure your cord`s are in the right scale pad`s,with a driver that is 219,something wrong there

they are in the right places

if car doesnt roll good the best two options are probably either dropping spring rates or lowering roll centers...it really is all dependant on where roll centers are at where u should be on spring rates......if high roll centers then u need soft springs if low roll centers u need a softer spring to get the same amount of roll

Quote Originally Posted by bluemod View Post
    driver is 219
    i have to long pull bar mount is beside the drive shaft loop
    i have like 2 1/2 drop on lr
    there is no weight in the car
    not for sure on the clip is there a way i can tell
    What is stopping the LR drop at 2.5". That's not nearly enough. Is that measured at the tire or at the birdcage ? You should have about 4" or 5" of drop (some people like even more)

I checked the math on your rear percentage. With the total weight you listed as 2443lbs. and your rear wheels weighing 1316 lbs. your rear percentage would be 53.8%.

Also need to know which lower a-arms you have. If they are Nova type (either tubular or banana shaped) you're probably close. If they are stock metric (flat on the bottom) then you are about 300lbs light on both fronts.

Also are you on a straight panhard bar or a J bar ? Where is it located at the pinion (even with, 1" above, 2" above ? etc) and how much higher is it where it mounts to the frame ? (measure from ground to bolt on each)

im on a jbar and its to the right side of the pinion. from the ground pinion side is 7in and frame side is 13 1/2 in. Pinion bolt is almost level with pinion bout a quarter below

You need to check the LR drop and see what is stopping it.It might not have the right length of shock.( it should be a 9" stroke shock) Also check your scales, an 04 car is a long wheelbase car and they have 51 percent rear with the fuel cell empty.Make sure that there isnt any lead weight in front of the driveshaft loop.These guys have covered everything pretty much.700 is the least Rf spring I would run and a 175 is as soft as I would go on the RR.

ive took everything loose and i still have no drop and it is a 9in shock what to do

is the rearend hitting the underrslung.....if the shock and spring is loose on lr and its still not down to the underslung then that means that u have a bind in the birdcage somewhere

do these cars even have underslung bars? if not then the lr should fall completely outta the car with the spring and shock unhooked.....there is definately something binding up if thats not the case

I don't think lightnings have an under rail.. Theres definately a bind somewhere...

Do you run a dampner shock like a 9010 or something like that?