Thread: Bump Steer

Default Bump Steer

on camaro stock steering is there a good starting point to set the bump at. how many inches down on each side or does each car set differently? were just trying to find a easier way to set it if someone knows, if not we'll do it the old fashion way, it just takes awhile

Quote Originally Posted by ashurst21 View Post
    on camaro stock steering is there a good starting point to set the bump at. how many inches down on each side or does each car set differently? were just trying to find a easier way to set it if someone knows, if not we'll do it the old fashion way, it just takes awhile
    You need to try to get bump to a minimum thru the whole suspension travel but that is much harder than it sounds and can not be done in some instances but at a MINIMUM you need to make sure that you do not have toe in during suspension travel.

ive done it before just wondered if there was a easier way for a camaro someone wanted to share. such as 3 inches down on the rf 1 1/2 down on the lf?? just wondering a good starting point

Not real sure what you are referring to, when you check the bump you need to set the gages up and move the suspension threw its whole movement with everything hooked up to it, steering etc.. everything except springs.

the way i was taught to do bump was over a 3" range of motion, 2" up and 1" down on rf, and 2" down/1" up on lf... everyone's opinion varies, and thousands of races have been won by teams that have no idea what the hell bump steer is... so what ever you think is best lol, i know that rocket and mastersbuilt have completely different suggestions on bump... yet both chassis seem to do plenty of winning

Quote Originally Posted by bushracing67 View Post
    the way i was taught to do bump was over a 3" range of motion, 2" up and 1" down on rf, and 2" down/1" up on lf... everyone's opinion varies, and thousands of races have been won by teams that have no idea what the hell bump steer is... so what ever you think is best lol, i know that rocket and mastersbuilt have completely different suggestions on bump... yet both chassis seem to do plenty of winning
    VERY true, on asphalt we always tested 1/1 on dirt I have always checked as far as I could on both sides. I guess if you tried to narrow it I would really concentrate on 2-3 drop and 1-2 comp on the LF and 1-2 drop and 2-3 comp on the RF depending on the rules and car. I have seen streetstocks that are carrying the LF tire now so.....

what he is referring to is on the bump steer adjuster that bolts on to the spindle and the rod end attaches to. he's looking for a how far down does the rod end goes on the adjuster to give you a somewhat close starting point.

this is what he is using
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjust...Heim,3333.html

so how far down is a good starting point to get you close should the rod end be on the RF and LF.

One more question to this is do you need to taper a stock camaro spindle where this attaches.

When those first came out in the mid 90's we bent everyone we out on the car so we quit using them as there are better ways to get the bump where you need it. The next issue is there is a large variation between spindles and steering on the same model car for the same year. If we knew what steering box, steering arm and drag link, center link and tie rods that are used someone may be able to post something to help.

we went ahead and set the bump steer on the car, so are you saying to throw those away and just run a a grade 8, 5/8 bolt with spacers would be the better route to take.

Quote Originally Posted by propit21 View Post
    we went ahead and set the bump steer on the car, so are you saying to throw those away and just run a a grade 8, 5/8 bolt with spacers would be the better route to take.
    How far are they spaced down? They are supposed to be grade 8 but I would make some spacers that fit tight to the bolt and are as large as possible for the end to get as much support as you can.