Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stacked Springs

Default Stacked Springs

I Have Heard Alot Of People Talking About Running Stacked Spring. How Do You Callculate The Spring Rate And Is The LR The Only Place You Can Run It On? What About Everywhere Else? What Are The Advatages Of Running Stacked Springs? How Does It Affect The Car Verses Standar Springs?
    The Only Thing That Beats Cubic Inches Is Cubic Feet.

(Spring X spring) / (Spring + Spring)= stack rate
    200 X 400 / 200 + 400 = stack rate
    80000 / 600 = 133.3333.....

Thanks For That .... But What Are The Advantages Of It? Does That Mean If You Run A 800/600 combo On The RF It Will Travel Like A Hard Spring But Act Like A Soft One?
    The Only Thing That Beats Cubic Inches Is Cubic Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by cnorman View Post
    Thanks For That .... But What Are The Advantages Of It? Does That Mean If You Run A 800/600 combo On The RF It Will Travel Like A Hard Spring But Act Like A Soft One?
    The regular stack on the LR allows you to run a spring rate that would compress and bend if you ran a regular setup. A 133 LR would not last but the stack adds more metal to the spring which allows it to carry the weight without fatigue.

Running a stacked spring on the right front you get in the corner on the bottom spring. Get off the corner on the top spring. The stacked springs lets you get in the corner on a soft spring and off the corner on a stiff spring that loads the LF rear and gives you drive off. some one tell me if im wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
    Running a stacked spring on the right front you get in the corner on the bottom spring. Get off the corner on the top spring. The stacked springs lets you get in the corner on a soft spring and off the corner on a stiff spring that loads the LF rear and gives you drive off. some one tell me if im wrong.
    Your wrong!

The only time it will react as 2 springs is if you are running a limiter and lock nut setup. A dual stack is just a better way to run a softer spring.

Like clockwork, this topic comes up about once a month and invariably 15 people chime in and don't know what the difference is (or that there even is a difference) between a "stacked spring" and "dual stage" setup.
    Stacked spring is just that: two springs one on top of the other. And it won't run or behave any different than the a spring of the spring rate determined by the formula that Egoracing posted UNLESS one of the springs coil binds and you should never do that intentionally (or on accident for that matter). This is commonly used on the LR where a soft spring rate is desired but can't be achieved with a single, long spring due to bowing. Contrary to what a lot of people think because they read it in a book somewhere, softer LR makes for tighter corner exit.
    Dual stage involves use of a slider and lock nut so that one spring is taken out of the equation after a certain amount of travel (determined by location of the lock nut). This is commonly used on the RF to get the car to roll over on entry using the soft combined spring rate and then stand on the stiffer spring to generate LR dynamic bite on exit. It's an alternative to the bump stop setup that is loved and hated by so many.

We offer dual rate spring set-ups as well as bump stop and bump limiter combinations for late models and modifieds.

Give us a call and we can get your shock and spring program on track.
    Brian Ruhlman
    Ruhlman Race Cars, LLC
    2132 Jefferson Road
    Clarklake, MI 49234
    517-529-4661
    www.brianruhlmanracing.com
    email: brianruhlmanracing@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhlman Race Cars View Post
    We offer dual rate spring set-ups as well as bump stop and bump limiter combinations for late models and modifieds.

Give us a call and we can get your shock and spring program on track.
    I can tell you for a fact this does work and Brian knows what He is talking about! The best our car has ever been. thanks Brian
    Last edited by bwels25; 10-05-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Just out of curiosity... on the spring rate calculations, does spring length make a difference? As in, do both springs have to be the same length, or can you use different spring lengths? I wouldn't think it would matter, but didn't know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dualdj1 View Post
    Just out of curiosity... on the spring rate calculations, does spring length make a difference? As in, do both springs have to be the same length, or can you use different spring lengths? I wouldn't think it would matter, but didn't know for sure.
    No, The only thing that matters is if you can get the nut on the shock with both springs on.

Cool

does anyone make a spring compresser? need to compress both about 2" to get everything together.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBA View Post
    does anyone make a spring compresser? need to compress both about 2" to get everything together.
    Typically it is a 10 inch spring and a 4 inch spring in the stack and you do not need to compress it. If it is loaded that much you will damage the shock without the cars weight on it.

Unhappy

I have tried that the 4" is going to coilbind before i get the travel needed, iam using the 5" afco spring now and its close to coilbind, I want to go softer up there, thats why I want to run 6 or 7" spring. running integra shocks nut goes on first then spring then devider then next spring then then cone, thats the part I need about 1 1/2 to 2" of spring compress to get on. the bottom spring is 8". any thoughts anyone???

8" bottom spring...4" top...12 inches total...

Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBA View Post
    I have tried that the 4" is going to coilbind before i get the travel needed, iam using the 5" afco spring now and its close to coilbind, I want to go softer up there, thats why I want to run 6 or 7" spring. running integra shocks nut goes on first then spring then devider then next spring then then cone, thats the part I need about 1 1/2 to 2" of spring compress to get on. the bottom spring is 8". any thoughts anyone???
    What rate are you trying to produce?
    What lengths/rates are you using?
    Your short spring is probably too soft.

What rate are most people running? (the combinded of the two springed) 200 to 250 or 250 to 300 or more or less? Iam in the 250 to 300 range. Thanks!

If you are after a 200+ #/ inch spring , I see no reason to stack.
    If less than 200, then there is a reason to.
    The example above to get a 133# / inch should suit you well.
    4" 400 and 8" inch 200=133#/inch 12 " spring.