Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stacked Springs

jedclampit: this is for a right front app. were thinking 300 top and 700 bottom with stop nut.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBA View Post
    jedclampit: this is for a right front app. were thinking 300 top and 700 bottom with stop nut.
    That 300 is your problem. You are probably going to need a 6 or 7 inch spring. Good luck finding one.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

yes i know thats why I was looking for spring compresser, and also wondering, what two springs most were useing? and if Iam way off on what Iam wanting to try. Thanks for replys CHUMBA.

I have run 400 on top of 400 and it was loose coming of thats why I thought about going stifer on bottom, the tracks I run on bad slick!! I have played with adj on stop nut, but still loose off.

I have run 400 on top of 400 and it was loose coming of thats why I thought about going stifer on bottom, the tracks I run on bad slick!! I have played with adj on stop nut, but still loose off.
    Well then just stiffen the bottom.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

We have but the more I stiffin the bottom the closer the top 400 5" spring is getting to coil bind, if I go to a 6" long spring I cant get the bottom cone on. Thats why I was asking about spring compresser. anyone know of anyone making one? or a way to get the spring compressed to get cone on? Thanks again for all replys.

chumba,use two 7in springs,you may have to work a little to get them on but they will go on by hand,we use hypercoil springs on ohlins shocks or a 7 and a 5 or 6 and a 4in spring i would not worry about the coil bind because it should hit the lock nut before coil bind if adjusted right but you can always check it on a shock/spring rater before putting it on the car
    Last edited by grt74; 10-04-2011 at 06:59 AM.

grt74 you got PM

Please explane how this combo would work?? I dont get the 600 on top of the 500. pm me if you dont want the whole world knowing. thanks chumba.

Chumba, clear your PMs.

STACKED SPRING RATES

400 / 175 = 122

400 / 200 = 133

400 / 225 = 144

400 / 250 = 154

400 / 275 = 163

400 / 300 = 171

400 / 325 = 179

400 / 375 = 194

400 / 400 = 200

Formula:

Top spring Top spring
    X (divided by) + = Total Spring Rate
    Bottom spring Bottom spring

Example:

400 X 225 = 90,000

400 + 225 = 625

90,000 divided by 625 = 144

Cool

PMs cleared, I think

PMs cleared, I think
    you guys have alot to learn, hypercoil will get you lentgh you need, get you a checker and check stack rates with different nut settings,you will be shocked, and when you run it make sure you have a travel indicator on outside of shock.

Teach us old wise one! thats why Iam asking questions on here trying to learn, dont have budget to travel 4 hours rent track and just try things, I have called chassie builder, he dosent run it. and wont give advise on it! PM me if your are interested in helping. CHUMBA

not trying to be smart,it just takes testing, every driver is different,how much rebound you run in right front makes huge difference, most people will try it and run it if it works that night if not they wont adjust it just take it off.one last thing figure out how much rf travel your car gets when its at its best then make sure your stack gets same travel then adjust to liking--------- its really difficult to explain all the different adjustments.

Unhappy

Not calling you a smart ass!!! Just trying to get as much info as I can. we have ran it our last three races, and are going to continue to work with it, I think we have figured out we are running too much gap, thats the only direction we have been adj, when we start raceing again we are going to go less gap, but that will be in april 2012. so Iam just trying to learn more about the complete set up so we can be close. thank you for info, and again sorry for implying you were a smart ass, not my intention!!
    Chumba.

A lot of guys run around a 400-600# 4 inch spring with anywhere from a 350-450# 8 inch spring on the dual stage stuff. Brian @ Integra recommended that we start with a 600/400# to start out.
    Last edited by BDR40; 11-18-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Angry

thats funny 2 years ago I ask him about doul stage stack spring on right front and he said he knew nothing about it. that was after I spent around $1000.00 getting shocks repaired & revalved.

We start at a 600# top and 400# bottom and put 3/8" to 5/8" gap in the lock out ring at ride height. The best way to figure gap, if you can't test, is to record your RF dynamic ride height with your slick RF set up in. Usually you will soften RF for slick. Record your compression travel on the RF.
    Record your shock eye to eye measurement at ride height.
    Take your spring and shock off the car and put it into a spring rater and compress it to ride height and then dynamic ride height and record those two load readings.
    This will give you the load the spring is supporting at its maximum in the corner and load at ride height.
    Then stack up your springs with the lock out and adjust them so that your spring eye to eye measurement and your load at ride height come back to the original measurements.
    Then you can compress it and start playing around with the dynamic side.
    If you want to raise the RF ride height in the middle of the corner, take gap out of your lock out adjuster.
    If you want more travel on to the RF before it stops, put a larger gap into your RF setup.
    This set up is not a cure all deal. It is good if you know how to work with it. Experiment and have fun.

Kevin