Thread: I'm stumped !!

Default I'm stumped !!

I'm looking for a 12VDC-to-16VDC converter, capable of 15 to 25 amps, to run the ignition system on a race car @ 16VDC. Any Web sites you can lead me to? I know Jacobs Electronics manufactured converters at one time. I purchased/used them. But there's no indication the company exists any longer. And no...... this is a short time run project, and I don't want an alternator spinning @ 10K+. Thanks, -Dave-

Arrow

Dave look at the miniVIP at www.performancedistributors.com also known as Davis Ignition. It is a step up regulator that converts from 12V up to 18V.

www.performancedistributors.com/miniviprace.htm
    Last edited by holloway9car; 09-22-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks #9. But the miniVIP is only good for 6-amps & powers the distributor only. I need more amps to also power the MSD box..... in addition to the distributor. -Dave-

The ones I've seen are made by a place called Powerstream. I think there good for 20amps. Not sure how or where to get one though.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

25 amps at 16v would require 40 - 50 amps at 12v.Why not use a 16v battery,the starter would work fine and you could use a resistor for the tach and other electronics.

i have a Turbo Start 16v to 12v step down resistor,i think they also make a step up converter
    Last edited by car62; 09-22-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

Dave, Go to a local electrical supply house and see what they can get. Most of the time the Automotive special electrical stuff it repacked off the shelf with a big price increase added to it.

I think that my supplier sales rep in in today, I will ask her what she has available.

Thanks for the assist headhunter. L-R-E may have hit the nail on the head regarding DC-DC converters I can use. Adjustable & non-adjustable.
    www.powerstream.com .
    Powerstream Technology
    1163 S. 1680 West
    Orem, Utah 84058
    (801)764-9060

Many of their converters are automotive related. And their current prices are much less than I was paying for comparable Jacobs units a number of years ago. Thanks for all the help gents!

-Dave-