Question Holley 500 HELP...

Hey guys i have a Holley 500 on a built Ford 2300 w/ stock intake. Im using a 45pv, 74jets and 28 squirters. Im running race fuel mixed half-n-half with 93oct. and using a Holley "Blue" electric fuel pump at 5psi. Im problem is i've been fighting a "flutter" from 3500rpm and up. With his same set-up it would turn 7200rpm last year with no flutter. I've tried everything i know to do from changing fuel pumps, lowering fuel pressure, even changed the head. Thinking it may be a valve spring. I've even switched ing. systems from the Ford module style to the TCI ing. but still no difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Sounds rich

It sounds to me that when the power valve opens it goes way rich... Id lower the jet sizes down about 4 or 5 numbers to see if this helps but only make about a half a lap UNDER POWER to see if it straightens out for fear of being too lean.... Leave your fuel pressure setting at 5 psi... This will tell ya real quick if your on the right track.,Joe L.
    Also install a new set of plugs first.
    WORLDS Quickest and Fastest 4cyl. street pinto!
    RT.... .0031
    1/8TH. 5.41 @ 130.44 mph
    1/4 8.43 @ 161.92 mph
    175ci C&S specialties Blow thru carb, , Arca head, Fuelab

World Quickest and fastest 4cyl. Race pinto!
    1/8th. 5.06 @ 137.82
    1/4 8.02 @ 164
    185ci - C&S specialties Blow thru 4bbl. carb,

possibly harmonics of the inline 4 engine causing pullover?

what do you mean by fluttering?
    is the engine stumbling, breaking up and missing? popping?
    or bogging down and not pulling past a certain RPM?
    is it only when coming going from closed to open throttle before accelearating?
    Last edited by that dude; 09-28-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by that dude View Post
    possibly harmonics of the inline 4 engine causing pullover?

what do you mean by fluttering?
    is the engine stumbling, breaking up and missing? popping?
    or bogging down and not pulling past a certain RPM?
    is it only when coming going from closed to open throttle before accelearating?
    Its not really breaking up or stumbling could be a slight miss i guess. Sometimes the plugs or smut black (rich) but this last time after lowering the jets to 74 there now light tan. It does never bog its a constant flutter after 3500rpm till 6000rpm. it just want turn no harder. I was turning this same engine 6500-7200rpm last year. Also should i try a different plug? As of now i've been using Autolite 104. Could they be breaking down at rpm?
    Last edited by stocks05; 09-28-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Default 104s are really too hot

If your getting much color at all on a 104 its way rich..104 Is kinda hot for racing... Go to the 103 its a good all around plug or even the 464 i think it is, but its a little pricer. Color on the plug should be very light.,Joe
    WORLDS Quickest and Fastest 4cyl. street pinto!
    RT.... .0031
    1/8TH. 5.41 @ 130.44 mph
    1/4 8.43 @ 161.92 mph
    175ci C&S specialties Blow thru carb, , Arca head, Fuelab

World Quickest and fastest 4cyl. Race pinto!
    1/8th. 5.06 @ 137.82
    1/4 8.02 @ 164
    185ci - C&S specialties Blow thru 4bbl. carb,

anti pull over squirters from holley.they are hard to find listed anywhere but are made,call holley and get the part number.we use them on the mini stock and on the v8s in the southern sport mods.

#121-228 holley

Have never had any luck with Autolight plugs,I would recomend 304 ( rs9yc) Champion plugs.

Could put a new umbrella seal under the accelerator pump diaphragm and a new O-ring under the discharge nozzle just to rule those out. They have caused problems on my Holley.

I got away from the 500 and run a Holley Jet 350 but when i did run the 500 I had a block off and was running 75 jets with what i believe was a 26 squirter and also the pullover kit from JBV..

With the engine warmed up in the shop, shut it down and immediately pull the sight plug on the fuel bowl. I've found that a bowl fuel level about 1/16" BELOW the bottom threads of the sight plug hole works best for me. If the carb has been around for awhile, remove the needle-seat assembly & replace the rubber o-ring on the assembly. If the o-ring takes even a mild 'set' with many hot-cold cycles, the fuel pump/pressure can blow fuel right by that o-ring and 'flood' the carb. Does the carb have brass floats? If so, remove the float and with pliers, push the float into a pan of 180-200 degree water and hold it there for a few 10's of seconds. If a soldered seam is leaking, air bubbles will appear in the hot water. That means fuel could also be leaking into a float & disrupting the proper float level. Definitely replace the PV if it has been in the carb awhile. Also...... I've found that with a properly 'tweaked' 500, a #19 or #21 accelerater pump squirter is sufficiently adequate to power a 245 HP 2.3L out of any race track corner. BTW........... the PVCR's on a 500 Holley are much too large for a 4-cylinder. 'Stock' diameter is about .059". I always jet 'em to about .040" on a 2.3/2.5L & .035" on a 2.0L, Rules permitting. -Dave-

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info guys.

Having same issues,what did it take to resolve?

Hi Wrench, Im not sure yet. I haven't had time to work on my car since this post. I'll will find out though and repost later.