Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why no ls motors?

It seems to me the future of the sbc lies with the ls famly of motors but you rarely see them at the track. The cost has come way down and the power potential of the factory parts is great. The factory 6.0 with the heads cleaned up and a cam with stock pistons will put out 500 plus easy. Any good reasons other than the initial cost?

many classes require cast iron heads. only ls motor i know of with cast heads is the 1999-2000 6.0 truck engines.

I think your correct and I've thought about building an ls for my modified.once the headers ,dist., and crank shaft coupler are easier to come by than it will be the motor of choice in dirt cars.

If your starting with a new setup I think it would be a smart move. Get a head start on the comp. Easy to stroke too for 400 plus inches. Anyone out there run one?

Baldwin racing is leading the pack on the LS motors. Google them or do a search on here.
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

Yeah but they start at 17500. I'm looking for some more grass roots style of builds.

Problem with going LS......it will make everything else obsolete.
    JD's Performance
    13034 Hwy 99
    Wapello, IA 52653
    319-931-0677

make sure your rules allow non 23 degree heads also if your going to switch to an ls motor.

I'm running under ump rules so it's kind of a free for all other than a iron block. what deg are the l92 heads?

most ls motors are 15 degree. some of the real high perf stuff is 11 and 12 degree like the c5r heads and the ls7 heads.

the other thing is the cost of puting a distributor in it ... most rules outlaw the coil per plug system toooooo afraid of traction control .... but what is a distributor anymore but a pickup coil feeding an ignition box ?

now thinking about that isnt a crank sensor the same thing ?

Yeah and I'm pretty sure their legal too. I could have different timing curves with the box for different track conditions. Just weighing all my options right now and seeing where I want to go.

World makes a gen 1 type block that will take the LS head, that would be the way to go I think.

You get the vast choices for the gen 1 internals with the LS head on top

http://www.worldcastings.com/product...ron-block.html
    Last edited by hogracer3d; 10-03-2011 at 04:33 PM.

I would love to see LS motors, you can get a used one and install aftermarket parts and make good power for under 4 grand . It would be pricey at first but would be a cheaper in the long run. In the next few years this will happen anyway might as well get a jump on it.

That is what I'm thinking. I'm still going to run my old sbc next year but a ls is in the works for 2013 for sure.

Take your spam s h I t somewhere else!!!!!

Baldwin Racing Engines Guest

We have more feedback from our ls modified engine running in Penn, they had a 42 car field at one of there big shows, our ls mod was 3 tenths faster than the field and his msd chip was bad and it was only allowing it to turn 7800 rpm. The customer says its the best driving, most managable hp he has ever driven, our power band is dead on and it is the cleanest engine he has ever had, with the new ls engine it seals so much better than the conventional small block. Everything we have used the new engine in has been dominate so far, lets talk over your plans for next year soon so we can get the ball rollin. We have 3 late model engines on order right now and at least two more mod engines. These engines are available in steel block or aluminim and we are a dealer for the most powerful ls cylinder heads and intakes in the country, these engines can be set up for coil over plug or coventional distributer with mechanical fuel pump and we have access to the only shorter version front end timing cover system which we help do the first r&d with for a company. Call us at 573-788-2329 at the shop and our cell line is 573-225-6886, we are the leaders in ls tech

Factory lq9 with l92 heads....upgraded arp rod bolts .....good for over 600hp

Stock lq9 shortblock good for over 700hp with bolt upgrade

alot cheaper than 17500

Baldwin Racing Engines Guest

Let me know how that works out for you, we can build them cheaper than 17500.00 also and make power but we want them reliable also. We have a customer with a 1100 hp drag 6.0 with a stock crank and stock block but it wont live long like that and stock 317 heads with mild port work. The point is these engines are the future of motor sports and we are bring something to the table that most are not, you will never make a stock engine hold up to the dirt track abuse. I talk to people all over the country every day, I-80 speedway has been trying now for the last year now to run stock ls and they will not hold up, the pistons are your week point.

Default Ls motor

So while your here could I use a 6.0 with good bolts,pistons and l92 heads and have a reliable motor? What about the front pumps? Can I use what's stock or is placement out of wack. I am going ls for sure but I'm just getting all my ducks in a row to prevent costly mistakes. Thanks.